Goya Boycott - opinions requested

2»

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    joseph33 said:
    It's a dangerous thing when businesses are boycotted because the owner may have a differing political opinion.  I dont have to boycott Goya,because I never bought their products to begin with. But I think I'll buy from them now.

I'll bite. Why is this dangerous? It seems a very normal and reasonable thing to patronize businesses whose practices you agree with and refrain from buying from businesses whose practices you disagree with. 
    Like Joseph, I'm not able to boycott Goya because I've never purchased their stuff.

That said, I don't love boycotting because someone's a Republican or votes differently than I do (and I say this as someone who will never patronize Chick-Fil-A because they gave money to what I consider hate groups).  However, in this environment, if your CEO butters up to Trump, how surprised can they be?  Did any CEOs do this with Obama?  Maybe; I don't recall.  Most companies try not to wear partisan politics on their sleeve for this reason. We have a president moving us toward authoritarianism and I certainly don't have it in me to be upset if someone reacts.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yeah, why is it dangerous?

And if you support them now, are you doing so because you agree with what the guy did or because you don't want to see someone boycotted?

I still say fuck him and haven't purchased anything Goya since.  Won't consciously support them again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    joseph33 said:
    It's a dangerous thing when businesses are boycotted because the owner may have a differing political opinion.  I dont have to boycott Goya,because I never bought their products to begin with. But I think I'll buy from them now.

I'll bite. Why is this dangerous? It seems a very normal and reasonable thing to patronize businesses whose practices you agree with and refrain from buying from businesses whose practices you disagree with. 
    It is one thing to decide hey I'm not going to buy Goya, another to organize boycotts on national levels to hurt a business purposely and for the reason to damage and stifle an opposing view point.  If people actually cared about others why would you do things to jeopordize jobs of thousands of employees through think my way or else Marxism/Lennonism.  It is okay to disagree, but when you try to force others to think your waybor else we arw in an Orwellian 1984 reality
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    He supports a racist lying fraud

Boycott!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    hrd2imgn said:
    joseph33 said:

It is one thing to decide hey I'm not going to buy Goya, another to organize boycotts on national levels to hurt a business purposely and for the reason to damage and stifle an opposing view point.  If people actually cared about others why would you do things to jeopordize jobs of thousands of employees through think my way or else Marxism/Lennonism.  It is okay to disagree, but when you try to force others to think your waybor else we arw in an Orwellian 1984 reality
    That’s a pretty odd take on a decision not to buy a company’s products. Any decision I make does not force anyone else to make the same decision. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    hrd2imgn said:
    joseph33 said:

Is it still dangerous when republicans boycott companies, or is that okay? You know, like Keurig, Starbucks,  the NFL? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    hrd2imgn said:
    joseph33 said:

That’s a pretty odd take on a decision not to buy a company’s products. Any decision I make does not force anyone else to make the same decision. 
    Just to go along with this...  I agree 100%.  @hrd2imgn ... what do you perceive to be an 'organized boycott?'  

You mentioned as well that forcing others creates an "orwellian" state.  What's your opinion on the POTUS and his daughter going well out of their way to promote Goya in what seems to be a direct response to people choosing to boycott Goya?  

I only ask because it seems to me more often than not when folks claim Marxism yadda yadda, and generally point the finger at left leaning type people... right leaning type people (Trump) are doing the exact same things.  How is it different? 

Just to dumb it down a bit because I'm almost confusing myself here :)  

Dude gives props to Trump.  People don't agree and protest by way of boycotting.  People like you look at that and say "Stop forcing your opinion on me and trying to tell me how to think!"  (Next level dumb) 

POTUS sees this happening and promotes Goya as a response. 

So on one hand...  "Don't buy Goya because that dude's an arse!"  (Bad in your opinion?)   "Buy Goya because those people are arses!"  (Good in your opinion?)  

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    It's illegal for a POTUS and White House staff to shill products so they should be held accountable.

Just add it to the list.