Poster Portfolios

silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
Hello..... I'm looking to put a bunch of posters out of the tubes and put them in a portfolio. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something in 18x24 and 20x28. Any help would be much appreciated! 
Tagged:

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Itoya works great for 18x24. I would look into baroque or art vault for up to 24x36 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Agreed with both of the above.  I got an Itoya, but that only held so many of my posters.  I got tired of tubes being stored everywhere in my house, getting damaged, etc, so I finally broke down and got the baroque.  Its pricey, but it was worth it to me.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

My wife got me a baroque for my birthday... it's fantastic.

As others mentioned, it isn't cheap, but IMO it's the way to go.

• SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 683
    For those who have bought the baroque 24x36, is it still good for putting 18x24 prints in it along with larger ones? The reason I ask because about half of my prints I would need it for are 18x 24 but I also have several larger prints. Would rather not buy 2 though. Any help would be appreciated! 

• ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    I have the 24x36 and put 18x24 refills in it and it worked fine. Since then, I've gotten a 18x24 for all those size prints and have the other for the larger prints.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
    SM187650 said:
    For those who have bought the baroque 24x36, is it still good for putting 18x24 prints in it along with larger ones? The reason I ask because about half of my prints I would need it for are 18x 24 but I also have several larger prints. Would rather not buy 2 though. Any help would be appreciated! 

Most of my prints are 18" x 24", but I do have a few 12"w x 36"t that just fit.

It appears the sleeves are about exactly 36" tall, so my TOTD Philly & NY prints as well as my PJ Hale from NYC in '15 fit well enough.

• EF11EF11 Posts: 99
    Just to reinforce some of the comments above, I have two from Baroque that I used to do the same thing (get all my stuff out of tubes), and they have worked beautifully.
  • SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 683
    Love this forum for this kind of stuff. Thanks for everyone’s input. Think I’ll start with the big one then maybe grab the 18x24 later on down the road. 
  • silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    Appreciate it everyone! 
    For the other people here who have a baroque portfolio: how do you store it? At first I stood it up on its side, w/ the handle on top, but the sides couldn’t support the weight. After a day or two it started buckling / getting wavy. Ever since I’ve had it laying flat, but it takes up too much space to store it like this long term. 
    I did put some cardboard inside the covers to add some support, but that only does so much. 
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,073
    For the other people here who have a baroque portfolio: how do you store it? At first I stood it up on its side, w/ the handle on top, but the sides couldn’t support the weight. After a day or two it started buckling / getting wavy. Ever since I’ve had it laying flat, but it takes up too much space to store it like this long term. 
    I did put some cardboard inside the covers to add some support, but that only does so much. 

Fits under this coffee table which I'm using as a TV stand in a room where I keep a bunch of junk. I've heard some keep it under a bed 
    SHZA said:

Fits under this coffee table which I'm using as a TV stand in a room where I keep a bunch of junk. I've heard some keep it under a bed 
    Yeah, I was thinking it would have to be something like that. 

Nice backpack btw. 
    Another thought would be to use hook(s) to hang it by the handle, probably low enough so the long zippered edge is touching the floor enough to take some of the weight off. 
    edited July 2020
    SHZA said:
    Another thought would be to use hook(s) to hang it by the handle, probably low enough so the long zippered edge is touching the floor enough to take some of the weight off. 

Thought about that too, the hassle is finding the available space to hang it in a room that isn't the basement or attic, neither of which are environments where I want to store my posters. (appreciate the suggestion, though)

• NB283405NB283405 Posts: 74
    I have the larger portfolio designed for movie posters and ended up putting a piece of foam core board on each side of the case.  They're quite a bit stronger than standard cardboard and can handle the weight of it being on it's side while stored behind my living room couch.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2008: Mansfield II
    2010: Hartford, Boston
    2013: Chicago, Worcester I, Hartford
    2016: Boston I, Boston II
    2018: Boston I, Boston II
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    SHZA said:

I have mine under a dresser, that has a little 4" gap under it.
    NB283405 said:
    I have the larger portfolio designed for movie posters and ended up putting a piece of foam core board on each side of the case.  They're quite a bit stronger than standard cardboard and can handle the weight of it being on it's side while stored behind my living room couch.
    This will likely be my course of action... thanks for the tip. 

Do you know how thick of a piece you used? 
  • NB283405NB283405 Posts: 74
    NB283405 said:

Not 100% certain, but it was most likely 3/16" thick.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2008: Mansfield II
    2010: Hartford, Boston
    2013: Chicago, Worcester I, Hartford
    2016: Boston I, Boston II
    2018: Boston I, Boston II
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I'd love to find one of those old poster display units like at the stores that sold posters: https://www.triodisplay.com/catalog/images/S2418-1_t.jpg
    NB283405 said:
    NB283405 said:

Not 100% certain, but it was most likely 3/16" thick.
    Awesome, thanks.
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    awilkins said:
    I'd love to find one of those old poster display units like at the stores that sold posters: https://www.triodisplay.com/catalog/images/S2418-1_t.jpg
    Yes! Me too! If you’re able to find them, let me know please. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    awilkins said:
    Yes! Me too! If you’re able to find them, let me know please. 
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/402275433044
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    cool. the search function DOES work.  =)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so i have a bunch of concert posters and one movie poster, which is an odd 27x40. the rest are mostly 18x24, some 24x36. if i buy the 24x36 one, would the 18x24's fit as well? or do i need to get some type of insert to keep them steady?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and a whole whack of 11x17's. not sure what to do with those either. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

ski-bum said:
    I have the 24x36 and put 18x24 refills in it and it worked fine. Since then, I've gotten a 18x24 for all those size prints and have the other for the larger prints.
    i see my question has been answered. so you need the exact size of sleeve for the print or it will shift around i assume, @ski-bum?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so i have a bunch of concert posters and one movie poster, which is an odd 27x40. the rest are mostly 18x24, some 24x36. if i buy the 24x36 one, would the 18x24's fit as well? or do i need to get some type of insert to keep them steady?
    I have the 24” x 36” portfolio, and it accommodates the 18” x 24”s, but it needs the reinforcement. Truth be told, I would imagine the smaller size would also need the reinforcement if you intend to stand it on its side (which is the only reasonable way to store it if you don’t have room to lay it flat.) The portfolio isn’t firm, and the posters alone won’t provide enough support. 

Your 11” x 17”s will also fit... the sleeves will be oversized for them, but at least you’ll have all your posters in one spot (with the exception of that 27” x 40” movie poster... there’s no squeezing that into the 24” x 36”.
    ski-bum said:
    i see my question has been answered. so you need the exact size of sleeve for the print or it will shift around i assume, @ski-bum?
    I haven't had problems with smaller prints sliding in the baroque sleeves. I have a bunch of itoya 18x24 books with the sleeves already installed and then I put everything larger in the baroque 24x36. I only have a very few that are exactly 24x36 - - many are 12X36, 20x26, 21x31, etc. I haven't had any problem with excessive sliding of prints that don't fill the sleeve entirely. 
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 319
    edited September 2020
    Thank you all for the helpful information! I have 64 posters with 41 of them 18x24 and 23 with one or the other (or both) dimensions greater than 18x24.

At first I looked at getting the Itoya 18x24 for ~$40 which holds 48 prints and the Baroque 24x36 for $149 which would hold 40 prints.

I would like to keep them in one portfolio so now looking at getting the Baroque 24x36 portfolio plus the $49.99 15 18x24 sleeve refill pack (since it"s compatible with the 24x36 portfolio) and use the refills for 30 18x24's and some of the extra 24x36 sleeves for the remainder.

Any suggestions are very welcome!  =)
    Post edited by DE4173 on
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth