Options

Anyone here familiar with Artists Against Racism?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
We've talked a lot lately about racism as it pertains to black Americans- and rightly so, considering recent events.  And as much as the Black Lives Matter movement is important and prominent, it's worth remembering that racism crosses many paths.  There is some form of racism that attacks every skin color, religion, nationality and ethnicity.  I think about that often and have long felt that one of the best ways to cut through the hate is through the arts.  Music, literature, dance, art, drama- all of the arts are a great way to bring people together.

Thinking about all this lately, I remembered that there is an organization  that pertains to all this.  I had to search to find it and it finally came to me- Artists Against Racism, aka AAR (so many cobwebs to claw through to find things barely remembered!)  So I read up about them on their web site and was impressed.  I'm wondering if others here are more familiar with this group and what your thought are on what they do.  And for those who are not familiar with AAR, check it out and see what you think. 

Here's the link:

Oh, and our Canadian friend here will find this page pertaining to Gord Downie and First Nations peoples worth checking out:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited July 2020
    I just checked them out. I appreciate what they, like other non-artists - like us good ol’ regular folks - are doing to help educate. 

But man, some of their merch prices are ridiculous!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    hedonist said:
    I just checked them out. I appreciate what they, like other non-artists - like us good ol’ regular folks - are doing to help educate. 

But man, some of their merch prices are ridiculous!

Haven't checked out the merch yet, maybe later.   I like it that they use their funds for education though- pretty cool!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.