Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

So I bought a headband to look as fucking cool as Björn Borg* and decided to try out jogging. If Liam Gallagher can do, so can I - I thought... need to get fit for the Pearl Jam Gothenburg show in 2021.

I jogged for 8 minutes then I was done. That was not even two songs into the Guns N Roses live at Saskatoon boot. 

Will try to make it to 10 minutes tomorrow maybe. 

How about you? How is the jogging going?

* Björn Borg pictured:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    I started running in 2018 for the first time. It took a while to build up endurance. I used to think I was one of those people who would hate running. Now I think I am slightly addicted to it. I run 3-4 times a week now, and usually cover 4-5 miles per run. I am working more on endurance rather than speed, but I average around a 10:29 minute mile more or less according to my running app. I had only been running on a treadmill for the longest time, but since my gym closed in March I have been running outside and I love it so much more. I have been listening to Gigaton a lot when I run. I usually finish my run either during Comes Then Goes, or Retrograde - depending on how far I am going. Buckle Up is a surprisingly good song to run to. Keep at it - you will find that each time you run you will be able to go further. You also may want to start by alternating walking and running - and shortening your walking part each time. Keep it up!!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Just be sure to look “cool” :lol:

May have mentioned it in the all-encompassing exercise thread, but running and/or jogging hurts my boobies. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    If I am running (there will be no jogging) something terrible is happening. I am being chased by a dog, something is on fire, someone is in need...I don't run or jog. My husband does though. He doesn't even hate me for making him wear a hi-vis vest and a blinky light so no one hits him since he is a run-on-the-street guy. 

Do keep us up on your progress. I am excellent at being curb crew. My SIL is a marathon runner. I have watched a number of marathons over the years. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    Lol @Spiritual_Chaos and too funny @deadendp ...the Gigaton run sounds like a good idea. I could probably run for about 2 to 3 minutes right now if I really had to, but I think @MF117973 is right, you just have to try and build up by doing a bit more each day (if you can). Around Easter I started jogging 1 mile 1 day, 2 miles the next day then 3 miles the day after. It was satisfying to achieve my goal but I decided to stop and just meditate. In my younger days I trained to run 5k, 10k and half marathons which I'd recommend. If you can manage portion control clothes start to fit better too.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Keep at it, SC.  Before you know it you will be going for 30 mins and barely be bothered.
    I also thought I would hate it and am pretty much addicted, now.  Been since last Feb...so 17 (?) Months and I've done all sorts of length races and have a marathon as the next distance with a 50 mile on the goal sheet.  
    With the total shit pie that my life has been (relatively speaking ...) the past few years this has been my mental salvation 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Also, Ron Burgundy rules

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I don’t jog anymore because of my back but am addicted to the elliptical.  Jogging on trails is so much fun!  Keep it up.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    hedonist said:
    Just be sure to look “cool” :lol:

May have mentioned it in the all-encompassing exercise thread, but running and/or jogging hurts my boobies. 
    I had the same problem. But I invested in a really good sports bra. This thing is heavy duty - underwire, clasps, and a hook to make it a racing back. None of that dainty over the head cute sports bra that you can wear as a top. But it definitely keeps the girls in place when I run.  

Keep at it, SC.  Before you know it you will be going for 30 mins and barely be bothered.
    I also thought I would hate it and am pretty much addicted, now.  Been since last Feb...so 17 (?) Months and I've done all sorts of length races and have a marathon as the next distance with a 50 mile on the goal sheet.  
    With the total shit pie that my life has been (relatively speaking ...) the past few years this has been my mental salvation 
    The addiction creeps up on you doesn't it. My sister had been running for years. She did several marathons. Never looked appealing to me. I was a yoga girl for over 10 years, but decided I needed to bring in more cardio. The first few months of running was torture. I didn't have the right shoes at first. My ankles hurt really bad. I finally went to get my stride evaluated and got the right shoes. That made a huge difference. Then those endorphins kicked in. I am impressed by your progress, and your goals - 50 miles - Wow! I don't really have a marathon goal in mind. I have done a few 5K's. A 10K is probably my longest running goal. I still can't really break more than 5 miles - especially in this heat - but maybe in the Fall I will give it a serious try. I wish I started running when I was younger. But I am happy with my progress overall.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I used to run a lot
    Never jogged
    Now its run some times walk some times repeat

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I go through phases where I run/jog a lot, then I slack off for a while. Haven't run any in about 6 months. I need to start incorporating that into my workouts. Honestly, I would much rather lift weights than do cardio, but I probably need the cardio more.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I do 3 miles every day at 530am at the dam.  The sun rises, the Bald Eagle is surly that I disturb him from his roost.  The dogs poop in the hundred acre field and I don't bag it.

It's a soft J.

In that picture that Bjorg dude looks like a pedophile from an 80's cheeseball movie.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Bjorn to run?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hobbes said:
    Bjorn to run?
    Hobbes said:
    Bjorn to run?
    =)
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2020
    Running 6 miles on Sunday. My wife and I are on this 5 month program to run a half-marathon in late October. Three runs per week. Finding this program easy to follow and very helpful in building endurance:

AND: MF is so right... Great shoes are the key! You get what you pay for. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    I run on and off.  Started again 3 days ago. It fuckin hurts my broken body. Not sure i will do too much more. Painful but i will try.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Oh sure.  I try jogging my memory all the time.  The older I get, the more I jog!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

But seriously...

I used to run but then I read about how runner are more apt to need knee and hi replacements when the get older.  Brisk walking is just as healthy and way easier on the joints.

Speaking of joints...  back in a few...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• That's hilarious @rgambs Good luck @1ThoughtKnown Lol memory jog @brianlux
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited July 2020
    brianlux said:
    But seriously...

I used to run but then I read about how runner are more apt to need knee and hi replacements when the get older.  
    I read that running was good for your heart, but bad for everything else. Haha.

I always walk to places, and I'm pretty brisk.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    brianlux said:
    But seriously...

I used to run but then I read about how runner are more apt to need knee and hi replacements when the get older.  

I always talk to places, and I'm pretty brisk.
    You’re definitely a brisk talker ;)
    edited July 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    But seriously...

Now I'm gonna brisk talk to Bengans Record Store and buy Neil Young Homegrown on vinyl :)

Sore from jog EIGHT MINUTES yesterday. But will try to jog tomorrow again, for atleast fifteen minutes. 
    Is Sweden  do you say yog instead of jog?
    The  accent
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I completely overdid it on running over the past 12 months, doing about 10km 7 days a week, on hard surfaces. I'm easing off currently. It's painful.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    edited July 2020
    The  accent
    Hard to find someone say the word, because people over here say "löpning" (running a long distance as training) or "springa" (running more general) instead... "jogga" I guess sounds to old fashioned...

But here you can hear her say "morning jog" at 40 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/pShJSH2hgEw
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited July 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    brianlux said:
    But seriously...

Now I'm gonna brisk talk to Bengans Record Store and buy Neil Young Homegrown on vinyl :)

Sore from jog EIGHT MINUTES yesterday. But will try to jog tomorrow again, for atleast fifteen minutes. 
    Try intervals. 3 times 5 min running, 2 min walking and slowly build that up
    The  accent
    Hard to find someone say the word, because people over here say "löpning" (running a long distance as training) or "springa" (running more general) instead... "jogga" I guess sounds to old fashioned...

But here you can hear her say "morning jog" at 40 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/pShJSH2hgEw
    I like  springa sounds like how its meant to happen
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    I dated a subfertile bodybuilder once (oh, how I love sexy abs). He swears the fastest way to shed flab/pounds quickly is running.

Keep it up!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I was a runner in my teens and twenties and then stopped because of knee pain. I assumed it was joint pain but much later in life found out it was due to lack of stretching of my quads. 

In January 2019 I broke my ankle while climbing. A series of complications including infection, delayed bone union and incorrect advice from a novice physiotherapist meant I was in a cast for much longer than was ideal, and came out of it with major muscle wasting, joint stiffness and reduced bone density. I worked pretty hard on my rehab and got the ankle/leg back to about 95% of where I wanted it to be, but I wanted as much recovery as possible, so in about February of this year I decided to take up running again to basically force more healing and function. For the first several runs, my ankle started hurting after about 30 minutes of running and would still hurt the next day. Then it was only hurting while I ran and stopped after. Now it doesn’t hurt at all and both legs feel equally strong and bouncy. So, mission accomplished! 

Plus it’s fun :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    But seriously...

I always walk to places, and I'm pretty brisk.

Pretty Brisk! 
    Flavors  BRISK