Options

What Makes This Song Great - Pearl Jam “Black”

CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,231
4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    RB is the man. Another killer video. 
  • Options
    ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    I always go down a rabbit hole with his videos. Start by watching him dissect Black next thing you know I'm 10 minutes in hearing him go through Semi-Charmed Life in detail 🤷‍♂️
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    I love these episodes.  Rick loves PJ and there are tons of songs left that he hasn't covered...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,550
    Funny how you suddenly hear some Yellow Ledbetter in there! 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    I was just about to post this. Amazing breakdown. I had no idea there was a wurlitzer on this track!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    Niko80 said:
    Funny how you suddenly hear some Yellow Ledbetter in there! 
    yeah. that was crazy
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 576
    Another great video in the series.  Rick seems to love Pearl Jam (and all the Seattle bands)
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I wish Rick would realize there is more than just Ten. I wanna see a episode on Sleight of Hand or Nothing As it Seems. Rick would kill it. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    I am sure Rick realizes that. He says he is a massive fan, and he name dropped most of the 90’s albums in this video. 

He is picking songs most people know, and has an existing relationship to. If he would pick songs like Sleight of Hand, his audience would be much much smaller. As much as I would love to see that episode, I can see it makes little sense for him when there are these massive hits to choose from. 

I also think these songs on Ten are pjs best work, so I find his picks to be just fine😁 
    Hoping for an Immortality appearance down the road🤞
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    edited July 2020
    Niko80

He is picking songs most people know, and has an existing relationship to. If he would pick songs like Sleight of Hand, his audience would be much much smaller. As much as I would love to see that episode, I can see it makes little sense for him when there are these massive hits to choose from. 

So, what are the sources for the individual tracks? 

My guess has always been from Guitar Hero/Rockstar (?) rips, and if that is the case that would be limiting what songs he can breakdown... 

He obviously doesn't get them from the artists or something of that nature, with some of his episodes being forced to be taken down.

So, that would also be the reason why he does hit songs and not Sleight of Hand. He can't break that down because he hasn't got the individual tracks of it.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Niko80

My guess has always been from Guitar Hero/Rockstar (?) rips, and if that is the case that would be limiting what songs he can breakdown... 

He obviously doesn't get them from the artists or something of that nature, with some of his episodes being forced to be taken down.

So, that would also be the reason why he does hit songs and not Sleight of Hand. He can't break that down because he hasn't got the individual tracks of it.
    Yeah, that’s a good point. I don’t know where he gets the individual tracks from. You might be onto something with the Rockstar theory.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Niko80

Very good point. But i will keep up hope for Sleight of Hand one day. And Immortality would rule!!!
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 576
    Niko80

I saw an episode (can't remmber which number) where he reviewed a song by Failure and I have it in my mind he got recording directly from the band.  Not 100% sure on this.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2