What is your favorite Quentin Tarantino movie?

2»

Comments

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Reservoir Dogs
    If I were to rank, which is an incomplete list:
    1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Kill Bill: Vol 1
    4. Inglorious Basterds
    5. Once Upon a Time
    6. Kill Bill: Vol 2
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Hateful Eight

Still need to watch: Jackie Brown and Death Proof
    There is no "need", just go watch Jackie Brown
    Duly noted.

well we did do rankings in this thread.

I had Kill Bill as my #1 at the time, but like I said I haven't watched it in awhile.

My mistake!  I tried go search back to see if there had been a previous thread.  I didn't look hard enough.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Here is the definitive list:

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill Vol 2
    5. Kill Bill Vol 1
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Inglourious Basterds (Should have been made with the 80s action heroes, like rumors said at the time)
    8. Once upon a time in Hollywood
    9. Death proof
    10. Hateful Eight
    No love for Four Rooms?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Reservoir Dogs
    mrussel1 said:

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill Vol 2
    5. Kill Bill Vol 1
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Inglourious Basterds (Should have been made with the 80s action heroes, like rumors said at the time)
    9. Death proof
    10. Hateful Eight
    No love for Four Rooms?
    Not one of hos "movies". I didn't count his CSI episode either...

But honestly, I watched that once when I was a kid... so I don't remember anything. Tim Roth as a bellboy or something...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Reservoir Dogs
    mrussel1 said:

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill Vol 2
    5. Kill Bill Vol 1
    6. Django Unchained
    9. Death proof
    10. Hateful Eight
    No love for Four Rooms?
    Not one of hos "movies". I didn't count his CSI episode either...

But honestly, I watched that once when I was a kid... so I don't remember anything. Tim Roth as a bellboy or something...
    I tried to limit the choices to where QT was the sole director, rather than include films that he was "partial." I finally saw Four Rooms last year and it's quite an interesting flick.  I didn't know Madonna was in it, till I saw it.

• Jackie Brown
    Never heard of 4 rooms, will check it out thanks.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    If I were to rank, which is an incomplete list:
    1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Kill Bill: Vol 1
    4. Inglorious Basterds
    5. Once Upon a Time
    6. Kill Bill: Vol 2
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Hateful Eight

Still need to watch: Jackie Brown and Death Proof
    There is no "need", just go watch Jackie Brown
    Duly noted.

well we did do rankings in this thread.

I had Kill Bill as my #1 at the time, but like I said I haven't watched it in awhile.

My mistake!  I tried go search back to see if there had been a previous thread.  I didn't look hard enough.

it's all good. this is a little different.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I haven't seen OUATIH or Grindhouse, but other than that I have found most of his movies quite enjoyable. I enjoyed parts of Django, but overall didn't think it stood up with his better movies. Hateful was ok, but near the bottom of his movies for me. I really like IB. I feel like the writing was much stronger for that one and his better movies are always the one's carried by the dialogue with the over the top violence mixed in. I still rank Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill as my favorites. It has been a long time since I saw Jackie Brown, but I remember being disappointed, mostly because Pulp Fiction was so good. Based on some of the comments here I should probably re-watch that one. Reservoir Dogs is a solid movie as well and still enjoyable to watch.

My order:
    Pulp Fiction
    Kill Bill
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django
    Reservoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Hateful
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Hollywood doesn't get a ton of love, but I really like it.  It's not as good as PF because the story is not as cohesive and certainly not as unpredictable.  But I think of Hollywood as a series of scenes that I like to evaluate individually.  And in that context, I think it's awesome.  Every scene as it's own mini movies allows me to really focus on the acting and the dialogue.  I think Leo was off the chains amazing in the movie.  Pitt was also great, and slick too.  I didn't like the ending much because it felt like ti was going to be an IG type ending, where the bad guy loses, and that's what happened.  I thought it was too predictable in its alternate history ending. 

While a different genre, it sort of reminds me of Eyes Wide Shut.  In that movie, it felt like each scene change was purposeful and its own mini movie.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Pulp Fiction
    mrussel1 said:
    Hollywood doesn't get a ton of love, but I really like it.  It's not as good as PF because the story is not as cohesive and certainly not as unpredictable.  But I think of Hollywood as a series of scenes that I like to evaluate individually.  And in that context, I think it's awesome.  Every scene as it's own mini movies allows me to really focus on the acting and the dialogue.  I think Leo was off the chains amazing in the movie.  Pitt was also great, and slick too.  I didn't like the ending much because it felt like ti was going to be an IG type ending, where the bad guy loses, and that's what happened.  I thought it was too predictable in its alternate history ending. 

While a different genre, it sort of reminds me of Eyes Wide Shut.  In that movie, it felt like each scene change was purposeful and its own mini movie.  
    Yeah I wasn't too thrilled with Hollywood after the first watch but after seeing it again I think it is great.  I agree with you on the acting.

The details in QT's movies are amazing.  I was laughing my ass off about the different varieties of the Wolf's Tooth dog food....Rat flavor, Raccoon flavor, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I wasn't too thrilled with Hollywood after the first watch but after seeing it again I think it is great.  I agree with you on the acting.

The details in QT's movies are amazing.  I was laughing my ass off about the different varieties of the Wolf's Tooth dog food....Rat flavor, Raccoon flavor, etc.
    Exactly!  It's definitely a movie you see again, to appreciate the acting and nuances.  First time through, you're trying to figure it out and predict the expected plot twists, that never really come.  Appreciating it for the art makes it a better experience.  
    Reservoir Dogs
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Exactly!  It's definitely a movie you see again, to appreciate the acting and nuances.  First time through, you're trying to figure it out and predict the expected plot twists, that never really come.  Appreciating it for the art makes it a better experience.  
    Also understanding the real-life events that Tarantino inserts DiCaprio and Pitt's characters.  Essentially they prevented the Manson Family Murders from occurring.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Also understanding the real-life events that Tarantino inserts DiCaprio and Pitt's characters.  Essentially they prevented the Manson Family Murders from occurring.

Yeah I thought that was predictable, because I kept having Inglorious going through my mind during the movie. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah the dog food was hilarious.
    And the attention to detail to create 1960's Hollywood from the cars to the businesses was spot on.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Reservoir Dogs
    mrussel1 said:

I think it may be his best movie, or at least tied w/ Inglorious for that title... I chose RD as my favorite for sentimental reasons, but OUATIH was fantastic from start to finish.

It may be his masterpiece.

Pulp Fiction
    mrussel1 said:

I think it may be his best movie, or at least tied w/ Inglorious for that title... I chose RD as my favorite for sentimental reasons, but OUATIH was fantastic from start to finish.

I don't know about that....I really have to argue that Pulp Fiction is the masterpiece.  Partly due to OUATIH and IG having the endings that revise true history.

I have a QT signed Reservoir Dogs movie poster in my basement that I'm very proud of.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Reservoir Dogs
    Idk, the endings of IG & OUATIH don’t bother me / take away from the films for me. 

I think they are Tarantino’s best films. 
    mrussel1 said:

I don't know about that....I really have to argue that Pulp Fiction is the masterpiece.  Partly due to OUATIH and IG having the endings that revise true history.

I have a QT signed Reservoir Dogs movie poster in my basement that I'm very proud of.
    Pulp fiction is amazing beginning to end and so cutting edge.  I remember seeing it opening night with my gf and was just in awe. It had all the shock of reservoir but was so much more polished.  

The only other movie that ever left me that speechless was Saving Private Ryan. Saw that opening night too and had to sit in the front row.  I bawled at the end.  
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2020
    Jackie Brown
    I’m not posting a list. 

Tarantino movies are like Pearl Jam albums. Love em all... some slightly more than others.  Slightly surprised by the lack of love for Hateful Eight which is wonderful. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Pulp Fiction
    Idk, the endings of IG & OUATIH don’t bother me / take away from the films for me. 

I think they are Tarantino’s best films. 
    I do think OUATIH is a great movie though...I like it more each time I watch it

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Inglorious Basterds
    I’m not posting a list. 

Tarantino movies are like Pearl Jam albums. Love em all... some slightly more than others.  Slightly surprised by the lack of love for Hateful Eight which is wonderful. 

Pretty much my train of thought on this whole thing.  Though I was never a big fan of the Kill Bill movies; all the others are great.  I can't really rank them other than having a favorite.  Agreed on Hateful Eight. I love how he made that film feel like a stage play instead of a big screen movie.