I'm going through all Pearl Jam albums in order!

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited June 2020 in The Porch
I'm listening mostly to live stuff (e.g. Boston 2010, the Boston 2003-show that had that great funky version of Why Go (show 2?), Boston 1994). I almost never listen to the studio albums.

So, I'm listening through them now with my 2020-ears. 

Can music be judged objectively? No, it can not. Am I in the position to judge music the most objectively on this board? Maybe.

PEARL JAM - TEN (1991).
One of the most perfectly crafted works of art of the 90s. I doubt many would agree with me that Oceans could have been a B-side or that the studio version of Evenflow lack a bit of the bite that we know the song has. And those nitpicks don’t really matter - as a whole this is as perfect as you get. Release, Black, Garden, Why Go and - the now anthem -  Alive are all amazing. And most of the rest of the songs not far from being so. Anyone playing the Brendan O’Brien 2009 remix of the album without the iconic reverb is a traitor to decency though. Respect history. Stand up for the original intent of Rick Parashar. Protect reverb.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

PEARL JAM - VS (1993).
    Pearl Jam followed up their iconic debut ”Ten” with an album all about fierce energy and a theme of ”me/us against...”. It is not soaked in atmosphere like Ten and lacks a strong sonic identity like the debut has. But on the other hand it adds an effective lyrical ”bluntness” moving away from Ten’s twisted and distanced Springsteen-esque storytelling with narratives about serial killers, raping mothers and boys named Jeremy.

Traces of Ten’s soaring sing-along anthems can still be found in some songs, like Dissident, which with a lick more reverb would fit right in on the debut. But Dave Abbruzzeses’ hard hitting drums together with Eddies anger makes VS a more in-your-face experience.
    This review was way to long. Fuck it. In short: It’s a great follow up to Ten but surprisingly different. (I also appreciate the vinyl and CD having different coverart - just like Ten had)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    I'm listening mostly to live stuff (e.g. Boston 2010, the Boston 2003-show that had that great funky version of Why Go (show 2?), Boston 1994). I almost never listen to the studio albums.

So, I'm listening through them now with my 2020-ears. 

Can music be judged objectively? No, it can not. Am I in the position to judge music the most objectively on this board? Maybe.

PEARL JAM - TEN (1991).
    One of the most perfectly crafted works of art of the 90s. I doubt many would agree with me that Oceans could have been a B-side or that the studio version of Evenflow lack a bit of the bite that we know the song has. And those nitpicks don’t really matter - as a whole this is as perfect as you get. Release, Black, Garden, Why Go and - the now anthem -  Alive are all amazing. And most of the rest of the songs not far from being so. Anyone playing the Brendan O’Brien 2009 remix of the album without the iconic reverb is a traitor to decency though. Respect history. Stand up for the original intent of Rick Parashar. Protect reverb.

3 stars for Oceans? You’re right, I for one disagree. Objectively of course.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Better than wondering about Ed's hair colour and shampoo he used in 1998.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Nice to see Garden and Dissident get some 5 star love. 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970

you only listen to Boston bootlegs?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    Looking pretty good so far. On vs I think I agree 100%. Ten has one or two songs I would rate differently. 

Looking forward to the the rest. 
    I will swallow poison
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Why Go and Indifference as a five star are the strangest rating to me. I think of them more in the 4 star area 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Why Go and Indifference as a five star are the strangest rating to me. I think of them more in the 4 star area 
    Daughter is weaker than both imo and it got 5. Indifference is a top 5 song for me so I am happy it is getting some love. 
    Indifference is raw and great on the album. Never heard a live version where it doesn't lack that something that makes it on the album.
  • Indifference is raw and great on the album. Never heard a live version where it doesn't lack that something that makes it on the album.
    Although listening to that song live and singing along with the crowd is pretty fn’ awesome, especially when we scream our lungs out til we fill the room 🤪
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
    edited June 2020
    Rick Beato agrees with THE MASTER (me) on Ten: "I don't care for it personally. To me it sounds weird. He (O'Brien) took all the reverb off it. It's bone dry. /.../ Take the reverb away from this record and you take the hugeness, the epicness off it. Especially this song (Black). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k55l7LMA7w

BOOM! 

CORRECT OPINION ONCE AGAIN

PEARL JAM - VITALOGY (1994).
    Using the same producer and making this so soon after VS it is not surprising that it feels like a straight continuation. Switch this album’s ”Whipping” for VS’ ”Animal” and no one would notice. The inclusion of the weird experimental pieces scattered throughout the album adds a flavour to the album that I am not sure the rest of the material lives up to. E.g Spin the Black Circle. Yes, the song won a grammy And yes, I bet it got a lot of air play on radio. It should still not have been more than a fanclub single at most. The end track ”hey foxymophandlemama that's me” (or ”Stupid Mop” for short) is haunting, a masterpiece sadly even by me relegated to being an ”experimental piece”. And as a sidenote, the album package feels better for the CD version and the booklet looks to be made with the CD in mind, which is weird with them choosing in -94 to release it solely on Vinyl first holding the CD-release back for some time. 
  • Switch this album’s ”Whipping” for VS’ ”Animal” and no one would notice.

I would notice

looking to hear of the earth
    Corduroy getting the 4 star treatment?

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Why not rate Bugs?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Why not rate Bugs?
    Good question! Personally I love the 2009 Spectrum version
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited July 2020
    I'll bite... much like I did for your Oasis reviews last year.

Ten - 5 stars
    Once - 4 stars
    Even Flow - 3.5 stars (it's a classic but it's once that I'm a bit tired of hearing it)
    Alive - 5 stars
    Why Go - 4 stars
    Black - 5 stars
    Jeremy - 3.5 stars (see my Even Flow comment)
    Oceans - 4 stars
    Porch - 4.5 stars
    Garden - 4.5 stars
    Deep - 4 stars
    Release - 5 stars

Vs - 5 stars
    Go - 5 stars
    Animal - 5 stars
    Daughter - 5 stars
    Glorified G - 4 stars
    Dissident - 4 stars
    WMA - 4 stars
    Blood - 4.5 stars
    RVM - 5 stars
    Rats - 4 stars
    Small Town - 4.5 stars
    Leash - 3.5 stars
    Indifference - 5 stars

Vitalogy - 5 stars
    Last Exit - 5 stars
    STBC - 4 stars
    Not For You - 4.5 stars
    Tremor Christ - 4 stars
    Nothingman - 4 stars
    Whipping - 4 stars
    Corduroy - 5 stars
    Satan's Bed - 3.5 stars
    (Bugs - 1.5 stars)
    Better Man - 5 stars
    Immortality - 5 stars

Post edited by rummy on
    This is hard to do just basing it off of the albums and not the live versions as well. I am just trying to base this off of the studio versions

Ten - 5 stars

Once - 4.5 stars
    Even Flow - 3.5 stars 
    Alive - 5 stars
    Why Go - 4 stars
    Black - 5 stars
    Jeremy - 3.5 stars 
    Oceans - 4 stars
    Porch - 5 stars
    Garden - 4.5 stars
    Deep - 4 stars
    Release - 5 stars

Vs - 5 stars
    Go - 5 stars
    Animal - 5 stars
    Daughter - 3.5 stars
    Glorified G - 3.0 stars
    Dissident - 4 stars
    WMA - 4 stars
    Blood - 4.5 stars
    RVM - 5 stars
    Rats - 4 stars
    Small Town - 5.0 stars
    Leash - 4.0 stars
    Indifference - 5 stars

Vitalogy - 5 stars
    Last Exit - 5 stars
    STBC - 4 stars
    Not For You - 4.5 stars
    Tremor Christ - 4.5 stars
    Nothingman - 4.5 stars
    Whipping - 4 stars
    Corduroy - 5 stars
    Satan's Bed - 3.5 stars
    Bugs - 2.5 stars
    Better Man - 4.5 stars
    Immortality - 5 stars
    edited July 2020
    How do you get to 5 stars for an album when the song ratings average way less??
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    JPPJ84 said:
    The whole is greater than the sum of its parts! :)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Using the same producer and making this so soon after VS it is not surprising that it feels like a straight continuation. Switch this album’s ”Whipping” for VS’ ”Animal” and no one would notice. The inclusion of the weird experimental pieces scattered throughout the album adds a flavour to the album that I am not sure the rest of the material lives up to. E.g Spin the Black Circle. Yes, the song won a grammy And yes, I bet it got a lot of air play on radio. It should still not have been more than a fanclub single at most. The end track ”hey foxymophandlemama that's me” (or ”Stupid Mop” for short) is haunting, a masterpiece sadly even by me relegated to being an ”experimental piece”. And as a sidenote, the album package feels better for the CD version and the booklet looks to be made with the CD in mind, which is weird with them choosing in -94 to release it solely on Vinyl first holding the CD-release back for some time. 

Not For You is a 5-Star song every day of the week for me.

I would also say that Aye Davanita definitely counts as a complete song, it’s too long to be dismissed as a weird experimental piece. It would get 3.5 stars from me, which is more than I would give Satan’s Bed.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Rating things is only worth anything  to the person rating it. We all like different songs different amounts as far as ive seen.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Spin the Black Circle...2 stars...ouch. 

I’d love to hear the original slowed down riff that was brought in by Stone?? Until Eddie sped it up to what we hear in the finished track. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    rummy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Hmmm... nope, doesn’t make sense to me ;)
    JPPJ84 said:
    rummy said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Hmmm... nope, doesn’t make sense to me ;)
    Release could have gotten 10 stars from me if I was allowed. :wink:
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    goldrush said:

I would also say that Aye Davanita definitely counts as a complete song, it’s too long to be dismissed as a weird experimental piece. It would get 3.5 stars from me, which is more than I would give Satan’s Bed.

Not For You is a top-5 song in my list of the entire catalog.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    goldrush said:

I would love to see them jam out aye davanita.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mcgruff10 said:
    goldrush said:

I love Aye Davanita. My favorite non-song by far.
    It's a hopeless situation...

I’d love to hear the original slowed down riff that was brought in by Stone?? Until Eddie sped it up to what we hear in the finished track. 
    Yes. Me too. Wrote that down first even. But removed it. But would love to hear Stones first thingy.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    goldrush said:

I love Aye Davanita. My favorite non-song by far.
    thunderclap, foldback and harmony are pretty damn good as well.  Any of them would be killer in a set list.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......