*** Wrigley 2 Chicago, IL Fanviews Here 8/22/16 ***

14567810»

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    I can make an argument for Seattle 2 2018. But no doubt this show was the best from a damn good tour. 
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    mrussel1 said:
    I can make an argument for Seattle 2 2018. But no doubt this show was the best from a damn good tour. 
    Totally, however, and this is just my opinion from listening to the boot, the band didn’t sound as tight and Ed didn’t sound as good during Seattle 2 2018 as they did Wrigley 2 2016 - just my opinion though. Everyone was on fire for Wrigley 2, maybe because it was being filmed, maybe because it was the last show on the tour, who knows, but it was one of, if not the best, performance I’ve seen by them 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited June 2020
    To counter the argument.  I saw 3 shows in 2016 (Pemberton, Wrigley I and II), and also saw the Seattle 2018 shows.

My favourite is Pemberton.  Amazing setlist.   They headlined a festival but I think they were still up there for 2 hours 40 minutes, so they didn't have to shorten it too much.   A mixed crowd of PJ veterans and young people having their minds blown.   It's the boot I go back to the most for 2013 to 2018 shows I went to.   It also doesn't hurt that it was a PJ show without all the hassle of a regular PJ show.  No lineups anywhere.   We showed up around 5pm to support a local artist that was playing (and we wanted to Noel Gallagher too).   No lineup to get in.  No line up at the merch booth.   No worries about missing out on a shirt and a poster.   When Noel Gallagher finished his set a bunch of people left and it was super easy getting a closish place up front.   And it was a beautiful outdoor show.

If I'm choosing between Wrigley II '16 and Seattle II '18.. that's so close, I'm not sure who to nominate as the winner.  They were both amazing.

The big thing I liked about the Wrigley '16 shows is they almost seemed more like home shows than Seattle.   Given that Eddie grew up there, he's way more nostalgic for Chicago than Seattle.  His stories from those shows really made them feel like home shows, which made them even better.
    Post edited by Zod on
    Zod said:
    To counter the argument.  I saw 3 shows in 2016 (Pemberton, Wrigley I and II), and also saw the Seattle 2018 shows.

My favourite is Pemberton.  Amazing setlist.   They headlined a festival but I think they were still up there for 2 hours 40 minutes, so they didn't have to shorten it too much.   A mixed crowd of PJ veterans and young people having their minds blown.   It's the boot I go back to the most for 2013 to 2018 shows I went to.   It also doesn't hurt that it was a PJ show without all the hassle of a regular PJ show.  No lineups anywhere.   We showed up around 5pm to support a local artist that was playing (and we wanted to Noel Gallagher too).   No lineup to get in.  No line up at the merch booth.   No worries about missing out on a shirt and a poster.   When Noel Gallagher finished his set a bunch of people left and it was super easy getting a closish place up front.   And it was a beautiful outdoor show.

If I'm choosing between Wrigley II '16 and Seattle II '18.. that's so close, I'm not sure who to nominate as the winner.  They were both amazing.

The big thing I liked about the Wrigley '16 shows is they almost seemed more like home shows than Seattle.   Given that Eddie grew up there, he's way more nostalgic for Chicago than Seattle.  His stories from those shows really made them feel like home shows, which made them even better.
    Interesting, I honestly don't think I've ever listened to a song from the Pemberton show, I'll go YouTube some of them now.

And yes, Seattle II 2018 was obviously an incredible show - Mark Arm, Kim Thayil and that setlist was killed, that goes without saying. But as Ed gets older, there are of course going to be shows where his voice just isn't cooperating - Wrigley II 2016 was not one of those nights. He was ripping songs like SOLAT, Animal, Deep, Comatose, Sonic Reducer and Blood with somewhat ease (he was understandably pretty dead by Blood). And I've always felt that when Ed's voice is on, he's confident and will attempt to hit notes he sometimes doesn't even think about, and the bands feels that and feeds off of it, which happened at Wrigley II. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    mschostok said:
    Zod said:

Interesting, I honestly don't think I've ever listened to a song from the Pemberton show, I'll go YouTube some of them now.

And yes, Seattle II 2018 was obviously an incredible show - Mark Arm, Kim Thayil and that setlist was killed, that goes without saying. But as Ed gets older, there are of course going to be shows where his voice just isn't cooperating - Wrigley II 2016 was not one of those nights. He was ripping songs like SOLAT, Animal, Deep, Comatose, Sonic Reducer and Blood with somewhat ease (he was understandably pretty dead by Blood). And I've always felt that when Ed's voice is on, he's confident and will attempt to hit notes he sometimes doesn't even think about, and the bands feels that and feeds off of it, which happened at Wrigley II. 
    Yeah I'm not sure I ever heard Pemberton either.  I think the sets of Wrig2 and Sea2 were amazing and the band was absolutely on fire.  Night 1 of Wrigley was better than night 1 of Seattle though.  The band was super nervous and just kind of 'off' in Seattle 1.  They knew it and Ed addressed it too. 
    I also think with stadium shows, the seats mean everything to the experience.  I was fortunate enough to be in the pit for all of these, so my memories are all positive.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mschostok said:
    Zod said:

Yeah I'm not sure I ever heard Pemberton either.  I think the sets of Wrig2 and Sea2 were amazing and the band was absolutely on fire.  Night 1 of Wrigley was better than night 1 of Seattle though.  The band was super nervous and just kind of 'off' in Seattle 1.  They knew it and Ed addressed it too. 
    I also think with stadium shows, the seats mean everything to the experience.  I was fortunate enough to be in the pit for all of these, so my memories are all positive.  
    Oh wow I didn't know that at all, I'll have to check that out. But you're right, seats are absolutely important, but even if you're far back (which I was at Wrigley II) you gotta make the most of it. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    mschostok said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mschostok said:
    Zod said:

Oh wow I didn't know that at all, I'll have to check that out. But you're right, seats are absolutely important, but even if you're far back (which I was at Wrigley II) you gotta make the most of it. 
    Yeah I'm glad the baseball shows are/were gone in 20.  If you're in the pit, great.  But once you're out of the pit, every seat in an arena is better than a stadium seat.