Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Probably for the best.  They kept having to rescue those fools who thought it would be like a hike in the park. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Probably for the best.  They kept having to rescue those fools who thought it would be like a hike in the park. 
    History destined to repeat itself.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yeah, that wreck was like cheese in a mouse trap. Good riddance.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Was about to post this as well. Same story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53106441
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Out of the wild.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I hope that it lands in a local museum. It brings a lot of people to Alaska! 
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Weird timing, I’m just now reading the book after all these years
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    riley540 said:
    I hope that it lands in a local museum. It brings a lot of people to Alaska! 
    I too hope it ends up somewhere that will provide people to still "visit' it.  I couldn't help but think about the McCandless family after seeing the story.  Putting it somewhere that is safe to view is the best option.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Definitely, the move of the bus made the one of the top headlines on the BBC's UK website. Just shows the level of interest around the world in Chris' story.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    edited June 2020
    ^^^^. Looks like the Magic School Bus now :lol:

a museum would be great.  Never saw the film, but i enjoyed the book.  Obviously the soundtrack is special.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,216
    ^^^^. Looks like the Magic School Bus now :lol:

a museum would be great.  Never saw the film, but i enjoyed the book.  Obviously the soundtrack is special.  
    Film and soundtrack are great!
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    In honor of the move, how about a reissue of the soundtrack on vinyl? 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    How much do they go for?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited July 2020
    How much do they go for?
    Picture disc - $600
    Original with the 7”.  No idea.  Havent seen any sold lately.  
    Repress — anywhere from 200-300
    Urban Outfitters no frills version - 100 something
    Bootleg - $40 :lol:
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    Haha. Wow i didnt know  it was a hard one to get.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I don't know what the hike was like to the old bus, but it's too bad the Alaska government didn't go the other direction?  Maybe build a few bridges over the river crossings so people could hike to bus with less risk?   It would probably make for a cool hike, and bring in some money from visitors?
  • eowynsilmeeowynsilme Buenos Aires, Argentina Posts: 10
    Zod said:
    I don't know what the hike was like to the old bus, but it's too bad the Alaska government didn't go the other direction?  Maybe build a few bridges over the river crossings so people could hike to bus with less risk?   It would probably make for a cool hike, and bring in some money from visitors?
    I agree, I was hoping they'd do something like that, but then again I wonder how much they could do without spoiling the whole experience... 
    At least they're keeping and preserving the bus :)
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    KN219077 said:
    Weird timing, I’m just now reading the book after all these years
    Jon Krakauer has some incredible books, but Into Thin Air is off the charts incredible.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Zod said:
    I agree, I was hoping they'd do something like that, but then again I wonder how much they could do without spoiling the whole experience... 
    At least they're keeping and preserving the bus :)
    Yah.. I love hikes.. so turning it into a proper hike would of been cool.   Putting the bus in a museum kind of removes that whole experience.  On the other hand if fixed up trail hike turned into a tourist trap, then it too would be wrecked.
    With today’s teens and 20s they would have selfie stations along the route.   Followed by Wi-Fi installed on the bus.  Latte stations along the trail.  Ok i’ll stop.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Zod said:
    Agreed....they could have set up a snack bar in it and made some cash.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    University of Alaska Museum of the North - Conservation work has started on Bus 142. You can watch the Bus 142 live stream at bit.ly/bus142_livestream 

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    demetrios said:
    University of Alaska Museum of the North - Conservation work has started on Bus 142. You can watch the Bus 142 live stream at bit.ly/bus142_livestream 

^ The Facebook comments, are insane! :o

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    Should have left it there. Imo. Don't know the whole story. May be nice to be kept safe as a memorial. Idk. It just seems out of place inside somewhere. Whatever
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited January 2023
    Loujoe said:
    Should have left it there. Imo. Don't know the whole story. May be nice to be kept safe as a memorial. Idk. It just seems out of place inside somewhere. Whatever

It was a three-day hike with apparently the nastiest biggest mosquitoes ever known to exist, a river you had to walk upstream to cross (because the current) and all sorts of unforgiving terrain.

Too many people were dying because folk hero status and their own stupidity.

Day 1: Leave town.
    Day 2: Continue the hike with a bit of time at the bus and turn around back to town.
    Day 3: Arrive back in town and get a beer if you don't need medical attention.

It was a very smart decision to move the bus to a safe place.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"