Options

Seattle 2009 Concert Poster (Ames Bros): Why did someone pay $1000 on ebay?

ZodZod Posts: 10,099
edited May 2020 in Lost Dogs
Sometimes I get bored and check out what posters have been selling on ebay.  I saw this one go for over 1k and i'm not sure why?   I've got one.   I remember the merch booths were selling different posters, but Ames bros had their own booth setup up where they were selling this one (and the poster books). 

Is this thing pretty rare or something?  Mine say it's out of 500, but it's not often you see posters that aren't pre-2000 go for that kind of cash.

Post edited by Zod on

Comments

• Options
    randynesterrandynester Posts: 171
    Because it was worth that much to the buyer to own it. There is no book value on a poster, only what someone is willing to pay for it. I have a bunch of posters on here for sale that I get offers on, and have sold for 2 and 3 times more for on ebay.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,153
    Zod said:
    Sometimes I get bored and check out what posters have been selling on ebay.  I saw this one go for over 1k and i'm not sure why?   I've got one.   I remember the merch booths were selling different posters, but Ames bros had their own booth setup up where they were selling this one (and the poster books). 

Is this thing pretty rare or something?  Mine say it's out of 500, but it's not often you see posters that aren't pre-2000 go for that kind of cash.

If you want to sell yours, let me know. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    Zod said:

There's another one from 3/2 that also went for 1k. Seems like it's a hot ticket. Maybe the Sonics/Shawn Kemp aspect? It's a cool print.
  • Options
    Fair enough.   I like the print (hence why I framed it), but I was surprised to see it go for so much.   Maybe 1 person bought it, then flipped it a few weeks later ;)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    Zod said:
    Fair enough.   I like the print (hence why I framed it), but I was surprised to see it go for so much.   Maybe 1 person bought it, then flipped it a few weeks later ;)
    Had this happen to me on a slightly smaller scale. Picked this up at a Hartford show and all of a sudden it's consistently a $400ish poster.

https://expressobeans.com/members/detail.php/122198/history
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I bought the first one but wound up sending it back. I was outbid on the second one. I would have predicted closer to $700, but if you have multiple determined bidders for an item that rarely comes up, that’s what happens. Its definitely coveted by 90’s NBA/Kemp/Sonics fans. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2020
    Lol. A few years ago i never would’ve thought.  The market has been a steady climb for the last few years tho.   Crazy
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    I guess I find it weird because sometimes older posters go for less than newer posters.  I guess this one's got some demand, but it was probably done in less numbers than the other 2 posters at the Seattle 09 shows.  Given that it wasn't for sale in the regular merch booths, and only at the Ames bros table.

Generally I sort of assume the further back in time you go the more posters are worth.   It seems they print more with every tour, so the print sizes are less the further back you go.  Plus some of them don't survive 20+ years of time.   I guess there are some newer prints that had low runs, or had popular artwork that enhances their value.
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    If someone wants to buy mine for 1k it’s theirs, I’ll even pay the shipping lol. (Wowzers)
  • Options
    @JBC7913 Check your PMs
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    If I’m not mistaken I sort of stumbled on Ames’ set up inside the arena after visiting the venue’s main merch stand. Don’t remember anyone mentioning they’d be there beforehand and it was a genuine surprise. I purchased a few things from them but only recall picking up the Kemp poster at this point...in fact I recall just casually nerding out with questions to both Coby and Barry and one of them mentioned the Kemp poster not being available elsewhere at the show. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Jdub5521Jdub5521 Posts: 121
    100 Pacer said:
    If I’m not mistaken I sort of stumbled on Ames’ set up inside the arena after visiting the venue’s main merch stand. Don’t remember anyone mentioning they’d be there beforehand and it was a genuine surprise. I purchased a few things from them but only recall picking up the Kemp poster at this point...in fact I recall just casually nerding out with questions to both Coby and Barry and one of them mentioned the Kemp poster not being available elsewhere at the show. 

100% correct. It was a side table they set up with not much (any?) advance notice. I stumbled upon that table and the reignman print and was so pumped to grab a copy. Had no idea it would eventually be valued at over $1K.
  • Options
    I'm glad I found that table.  Of the 3 posters for those 2 shows, this is the one I bothered to frame and put up.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Pictures^^^please
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    I don't get this one either.  Ugly poster in my opinion.