Please help save the USPS!

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
The United States Postal Service is under attack from the Trump administration at a time when it is greatly needed.  The USPS has been very helpful to my wife and I and very likely to some of you as well in providing affordable means of securing some of the goods we need that we receive via the USPS mail.

The USPS also provides a valuable service through its Media Mail system which makes it possible to both receive, as buyers, and send, as sellers, media items such as books, records, CD's, DVDs, etc.   If Trump has his way and increases USPS shipping costs, those services may become unaffordable for sellers like myself, and buyers like many of us here.

You can help support the USPS by sending a letter to you Senator and asking her or him to favor funding for the USPS, or, at the very least, to ask the current administration to back off of its attack on the USPS. 

Thanks for considering this request!

Here is a link that provides some information on such a letter writing campaign.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    you can also buy stamps online....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mickeyrat said:
    you can also buy stamps online....

For sure!  Very handy for those who want to minimize trips into the post office. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I actually despises my local USPS office workers.  They suck, the worst customer service ever.
    That said, I like my delivery guy and my father in law spent time as a mail carrier, as did his father

The USPS is a necessity in America.

I am not a conspiracy theory nutter, but I do think there could be something to the claims that the timing is fishy and Trump could be up to something here.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Getting ready to fill this bx with edibles to ship out! Doing what I can to support.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    They’ve damaged one too many poster for me 

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Getting ready to fill this bx with edibles to ship out! Doing what I can to support.
    Well done, jose.  I'm aiming to do the same!  ...although my action is more for the recipient vs. actively supporting the USPS.

The folks at the facilities themselves?  They're pretty good, know their shit.  But, on a local delivery level, our mailperson blows - misdirects mail on a regular basis.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited April 2020
    Brian had me at media mail. This and a plain old letter are really the only uses for Usps anymore. I find faster, more reliable and cheaper service with fedex on packages. But mailing a letter or media mail, I’ll always go with Usps.

Heres what I never understood about the post office. They are an entity of the government, right? Being that they are there to provide a service and not turn a profit. So how can they be more expensive than a for-profit company like fedex? I had an Etsy shop for a few years and shipped boxes out regularly. A 30x18x4” box weighing 15 pounds was less than $20 to ship to California via FedEx. It would be over $30 if I used the post office. But the post office is going to your house every day dropping off junk mail, how is it more expensive than a for profit company who outherwise wont even be going to your street? It was also faster and better insured too. That’s what I don’t understand about Usps.
    Post edited by mace1229 on

Nice- well done, Jose!

mace1229 said:
    Brian had me at media mail. This and a plain old letter are really the only uses for Usps anymore. I find faster, more reliable and cheaper service with fedex on packages. But mailing a letter or media mail, I’ll always go with Usps.

Heres what I never understood about the post office. They are an entity of the government, right? Being that they are there to provide a service and not turn a profit. So how can they be more expensive than a for-profit company like fedex? I had an Etsy shop for a few years and shipped boxes out regularly. A 30x18x4” box weighing 15 pounds was less than $20 to ship to California via FedEx. It would be over $30 if I used the post office. But the post office is going to your house every day dropping off junk mail, how is it more expensive than a for profit company who outherwise wont even be going to your street? It was also faster and better insured too. That’s what I don’t understand about Usps.

I too like FedEx and UPS for packages and have used both many times over the years.  But for letters and media mail, which is what USPS does best, that's my go-to.  Almost all media (book, records, CDs, DVD's, etc.) are mailed via USPS media mail by the vast majority of sellers who sell on-line and brick and mortar stores with an on-line presence, and media mail rates are very reasonable. 

I always check brick and mortar stores first for things I'm looking for, but I've also bought books and records on line and having an on-line presence with my book business.  I have shipped books via USPS for about 18 years and in all that time have had very little issues with lost or damaged goods.  All issues with damage to items have been things I've received in the mail and those problems were due to inexperienced sellers who don't know how to pack properly.  I pack very carefully and for my entire career as a bookseller, I have never had one single complaint from recipients about condition  of goods received or an item not showing up.  Not one!   

I know there are some people who have issues with USPS.  That's unfortunate and I'm sorry about that.  But this thread is intended for those here who appreciate the service USPS provides who would like to help save the USPS.   Please consider joining the letter writing campaign.  Thank you! :smile:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:

I’m assuming that USPS is like Canada Post in that they are required to deliver to all areas, even remote ones, whereas the courier companies can refuse or charge a lot more to deliver somewhere that’s out of their way. For national postal services, the cost of the majority of the mail going to populated areas subsidizes the cost of the letters going to the back of beyond. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mace1229 said:

I’m assuming that USPS is like Canada Post in that they are required to deliver to all areas, even remote ones, whereas the courier companies can refuse or charge a lot more to deliver somewhere that’s out of their way. For national postal services, the cost of the majority of the mail going to populated areas subsidizes the cost of the letters going to the back of beyond. 
    this and scale with volume....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mace1229 said:

I was assuming corruption and bad management, but this makes sense.
    mace1229 said:

Good questions.  I would guess your assumptions are correct although I'm not sure. Letters going from the continental US to both Alaska and Hawaii cost the same as letters being sent from one address in San Francisco to another in the same town.  Packages, on the other hand- even media mail packages- do cost more when shipped that far, but with the exception of Priority Mail packages which are a flat rate that are the same cost sent anywhere in the U.S.

mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I was assuming corruption and bad management, but this makes sense.
    congress has oversight. thats why.....

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    🥱 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    I could do without the USPS. All I ever get is junk mail.  

Think of all the waste they peddle.
    ICDragons said:
    I could do without the USPS. All I ever get is junk mail.  

Think of all the waste they peddle.

Yeah, I could certainly do without the junk mail.  Unfortunately, there all that "current resident" crap that gets sent out in bulk.

But by being careful who we give our address out to and being proactive about getting off mailing lists, we now get more useful mail than junk mail.  And I love getting letters and post cards from friends. 

In any case, this thread was meant to encourage those who do use and appreciate the post office to lend a supportive hand, give a supporting voice.  Being  proactive does take more time and energy than complaining.  I've got both.  Anyone else?

Question for you Brian or anyone else.
    i don’t often ship records or other media, but when I do I’m asked what’s in it (even though it’s a record mailer) and when I say a record they usually roll their eyes and act like I’m abusing the system.
    I’ve heard of people being denied media mail on the grounds it’s original purpose was for education and legal stuff. So I’m always paranoid they’ll deny it.
    You ever been denied medial mail, and if so what did you do about it?
    mace1229 said:
    Question for you Brian or anyone else.
    i don’t often ship records or other media, but when I do I’m asked what’s in it (even though it’s a record mailer) and when I say a record they usually roll their eyes and act like I’m abusing the system.
    I’ve heard of people being denied media mail on the grounds it’s original purpose was for education and legal stuff. So I’m always paranoid they’ll deny it.
    You ever been denied medial mail, and if so what did you do about it?

No, Mace, I've never been denied the use of Media Mail or had any problems with doing so. I'm almost always asked what the object being shipped is and they always rattle off the usual,  "Does this contain anything fragile, liquid, perishable, potentially hazardous, or batteries or perfume."   I say, "It's a book", or "It's a record," or, because I have a lot of them, I sometimes say, "It's a record box but it contains a thin flat book" (like a song book).  I can't remember ever even being challenged on it but that may be for two reasons- I print out the address label, and the return address is "A Quiet Corner For Books", so it's fairly obvious I'm a book dealer.  But I've also had to hand write labels when my printer has been down or out of ink or for occasional eBay sales of records and books (but I've only done that maybe 10 or 12 time), but have never had a problem.

What I would suggest is just look at the USPS clerk, make eye contact, and simply say, "It's a book", or "It's a record".  I know a lot of book sellers and a few record seller and have never once heard of any problems using Media Mail.

As for what can be sent, here's the official list:

Some of those are educational materials, so I see no problem there.  As for legal, I don't know the rule there but I did sell and ship a Black's Law Dictionary once via USPS Media Mail.  I don't think that was illegal.

I do know that Media Mail can include a packing slip, but not a letter or media combined with other non-media material.  Being a fan and supporter of USPS, I've never broken, fudged, or cheated on their rules.  Media Mail is a good deal and, to me, a privilege.  I think most seller and  buyers feel that way and don't abuse it. 

So bottom line is this:   if you're sending something via Media Mail and it's a legitimate media item, you have zero reason to feel paranoid and lots of reason to be thankful for the bargain that it is.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Let me know if you need my address. Lol
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.

Done, thank you! 

• EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    I think it’s funny when a completely inefficient service is promoted to be funded by other people’s money.   It needs to support itself.   We have enough needs as a society and this one is filled just fine with or without this.  Can’t think of a single thing I receive by USPS I need or can’t be done more efficiently by other means including email. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    I think it’s funny when a completely inefficient service is promoted to be funded by other people’s money.   It needs to support itself.   We have enough needs as a society and this one is filled just fine with or without this.  Can’t think of a single thing I receive by USPS I need or can’t be done more efficiently by other means including email. 

To the best of my knowledge, the USPS was doing fine until coronavirus came along and Trump started bashing the USPS.  The feds are bailing out all kinds of big corporations that made poor business decisions (airlines, auto industry, coal mining, etc.) and yet we are going to turn our back on one that is used by most of us and appreciated by most of us?

One of the things I find odd is that some (more so on another forum, but maybe a few here too) have complained about Media Mail being slow.  And yet so many of us benefit from it.  Who here hasn't received a record, CD, book or DVD via media mail and appreciated getting it?  Or sent media and been grateful for the service at a reasonable cost?

My own experience is that in the 8 years I've had my on-line book business and the 19 years I worked at The Bookery, I have never had a book that I sent to a customer be lost and I have never had one single complaint about how long it took for them to receive it.    Even during the coronavirus, when things should be expected to be slowed down, in the almost two weeks since I re-opened my on-line book business I have not had a single complaint.  My own very long-time experience with USPS has been great.  And I know a lot of book and record dealers and they all say the same.  I've never heard any of them gripe about USPS.  I don't understand what the beef is with some.

brianlux said:

To the best of my knowledge, the USPS was doing fine until coronavirus came along and Trump started bashing the USPS.  The feds are bailing out all kinds of big corporations that made poor business decisions (airlines, auto industry, coal mining, etc.) and yet we are going to turn our back on one that is used by most of us and appreciated by most of us?

One of the things I find odd is that some (more so on another forum, but maybe a few here too) have complained about Media Mail being slow.  And yet so many of us benefit from it.  Who here hasn't received a record, CD, book or DVD via media mail and appreciated getting it?  Or sent media and been grateful for the service at a reasonable cost?

My own experience is that in the 8 years I've had my on-line book business and the 19 years I worked at The Bookery, I have never had a book that I sent to a customer be lost and I have never had one single complaint about how long it took for them to receive it.    Even during the coronavirus, when things should be expected to be slowed down, in the almost two weeks since I re-opened my on-line book business I have not had a single complaint.  My own very long-time experience with USPS has been great.  And I know a lot of book and record dealers and they all say the same.  I've never heard any of them gripe about USPS.  I don't understand what the beef is with some.
    Mine comes from personal experience: repeatedly misdelivering mail, surliness to the point of scolding, leaving the wall of mailboxes wide open and unsecured. 

I respect anyone who doesn’t do things half-assed, regardless of the task or job. And, as with most everything, the USPS employs both capable and inept people. 

I do sympathize with them, as I do for anyone hurting simply by...being. 
    edited May 2020
    Disclaimer: My wife and I are both Postal Service employees. And no, we didn’t meet at work like Jim and Pam. Well, we did, almost 15 years ago when we both worked at Lowe’s together. Anyways...

It both pains me and angers me to see some responses to this above. Letter mail, is still very important. Ask the old lady who is dying in the nursing home right now and her only contact with her family is through the USPS. Oh, that and the medicine she receives in the mail, that keeps her around long enough to hopefully see her family again before she dies. This is one story of millions upon millions who rely on USPS for that letter. That normalcy, that contact. A smiling face to look forward to every day. 
    We keep businesses alive with low rates and we deliver to EVERY address in the US, so we are also partners with UPS, Fed Ex and other delivery services who rely on us to deliver their product to keep America together. 
    USPS is an institution. Have bad choices been made. Hell yes. But it’s politics. It’s an organization smothered by politics. USPS employs more veterans than any other business, government or private sector. 
    Are there dog shit employees? Of course. Name a store, restaurant or any other large business that isn’t the same. Do you quit going to Home Depot because of the shitty employee in plumbing or do you appreciate the selection, the prices, and the good employees you come across in the store. 

And one last thing. I could go on forever. I love my job as a mailman and I have a sense of duty and honor in my job. Same as my service in the USAF. I am here for the American people regardless of their differences. Everyone is my customer. Everyone is important. I found out yesterday one of my supervisors at my station tested positive for Covid-19. A supervisor I am close with. Now half of the employees are going to be home in quarantine and myself along with others at my station will be pulling long hard, hot hours for the time being. Sacrificing our health and safety and the health and safety of our loved ones, not to mention time away from them. My wife has been working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week and I will be doing the same. It’s our duty and our pleasure to serve Americans at this time and at all times. Our story is one of the 500,000 employees that the USPS employs, that have not stopped since Covid-19. 40+ deaths of USPS employees so far from coronavirus. Thank your front line essential workers from doctors and nurses to the delivery drivers. We are all in this together. Stay safe and healthy and help save the USPS. Please. ✌🏽

Edited to fix spelling errors. Lol
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Disclaimer: My wife and I are both Postal Service employees. And no, we didn’t meet at work like Jim and Pam. Well, we did, almost 15 years ago when we both worked at Lowe’s together. Anyways...

It both pains me and angers me to see some responses to this above. Letter mail, is still very important. Ask the old lady who is dying in the nursing home right now and her only contact with her family is through the USPS. Oh, that and the medicine she receives in the mail, that keeps her around long enough to hopefully see her family again before she dies. This is one story of millions upon millions who rely on USPS for that letter. That normalcy, that contact. A smiling face to look forward to every day. 
    We keep businesses alive with low rates and we deliver to EVERY address in the US, so we are also partners with UPS, Fed Ex and other delivery services who rely on us to deliver their product to keep America together. 
    USPS is an institution. Have bad choices been made. Hell yes. But it’s politics. It’s an organization smothered by politics. USPS employs more veterans than any other business, government or private sector. 
    Are there dog shit employees? Of course. Name a store, restaurant or any other large business that isn’t the same. Do you quit going to Home Depot because of the shitty employee in plumbing or do you appreciate the selection, the prices, and the good employees you come across in the store. 

And one last thing. I could go on forever. I love my job as a mailman and I have a sense of duty and honor in my job. Same as my service in the USAF. I am here for the American people regardless of their differences. Everyone is my customer. Everyone is important. I found out yesterday one of my supervisors at my station tested positive for Covid-19. A supervisor I am close with. Now half of the employees are going to be home in quarantine and myself along with others at my station will be pulling long hard, hot hours for the time being. Sacrificing our health and safety and the health and safety of our loved ones, not to mention time away from them. My wife has been working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week and I will be doing the same. It’s our duty and our pleasure to serve Americans at this time and at all times. Our story is one of the 500,000 employees that the USPS employs, that have not stopped since Covid-19. 40+ deaths of USPS employees so far from coronavirus. Thank your front line essential workers from doctors and nurses to the delivery drivers. We are all in this together. Stay safe and healthy and help save the USPS. Please. ✌🏽

Your work is important, as is your wife’s.  And so very many others. 

My reply was based on experience and honesty. I would hope that doesn’t anger you (then again, anger - justified or not - is rife these days). Can’t offer much more than that!

Well-wishes from here. 
    Anger was the wrong word. It was just this disgust that some of the dog shit employees could bring such a bad view of something so great. And not a disgust at your comment. Disgust that someone or more than one person with such a great job made you feel that way. No matter how shitty my day is I ensure my customers get a smile and the best service I can provide. That’s my job. 

First off, 78, I want to thank you very much for your hard work in trying times.  In my view, postal workers are right there on the front line with those working in grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacys, etc., not to mention police, fire, and, of course, health care workers.  Your work is a part of what is keeping things afloat to the degree they are.  It is much appreciated.

You made a good point about the fact that shitty workers can be found in any industry.  Poor service can be found in any service business.  I do feel badly for Hedo and others who have had the misfortune of poor service.  I've had similar experiences in other situations.  But in general, the service we receive from USPS is one I find amazing, as illustrated by what I said about my good fortune in having had no problems using USPS for 8 plus years in my little book sales business and the almost 19 years I have worked at The Bookery.

On a slightly different note, I've been blessed and fortunate with several book sales this weekend.  I will be heading to our local post office tomorrow with  7, possibly 8 packages to mail with a book in each.  For my little business, this is phenomenal, especially with having to give up my regular job at The Bookery.  And I will feel good about giving my shipping business to USPS and feeling confident in their ability to handle these goods very well under extremely difficult situations. 

Thanks again, 78.  I hope you stay well and stay safe.