The PhD movie

PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
edited March 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
Post edited by Pap on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Yeah, yeah, everyone likes to complain about grad school, but it's fun to have a Phd. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    I have bought a t-shirt from phdcomics.com read: GRAD SCHOOL - IT SEEMED BETTER THAN GETTING A REAL JOB :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited December 2019
    I think I'm a true lifelong student. ~ Jeff Ament
    Me too, Jeff! :star: Me too...
  • Pap said:
    I learn every day that people are idiots...
    edited December 2019
    Pap said:
    I learn every day that people are idiots...
    Can you elaborate on this? What makes you think that you're not one of those?
    Post edited by Pap on
    edited April 2020
    Post edited by Pap on
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited April 2020
    Ah, PhD days. I enjoyed doing mine at the time. (I graduated with it in 2015.) Having said that, I don't think PhD students (in my field) are worked anywhere near as hard in the UK as they are here in the States. 
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Ah, PhD days. I enjoyed doing mine at the time. (I graduated with it in 2015.) Having said that, I don't think PhD students (in my field) are worked anywhere near as hard in the UK as they are here in the States. 
    I enjoyed mine as well. The dissertation was brutal though. My Ph.D. is in anthropology. I graduated in 2011. Lots of work. But well worth it.

edited April 2020
    MF117973 said:
    I enjoyed mine as well. The dissertation was brutal though. My Ph.D. is in anthropology. I graduated in 2011. Lots of work. But well worth it.

Great! I did Literature, mainly for fun rather than out of academic ambition (though I did get a book and some papers published, which I'm pleased about). The setup in the UK is generally different: it's mainly research (towards the thesis, which is just another name for the dissertation). You can be in and out in 3.5 years with a bit of momentum. I had a great supervisor/advisor, who became a good friend and mentor. I was very lucky: I've heard of horror stories where many PhD students never see their supervisor from one month to the next.
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
    MF117973 said:

Great! I did Literature, mainly for fun rather than out of academic ambition (though I did get a book and some papers published, which I'm pleased about). The setup in the UK is generally different: it's mainly research (towards the thesis, which is just another name for the dissertation). You can be in and out in 3.5 years with a bit of momentum. I had a great supervisor/advisor, who became a good friend and mentor. I was very lucky: I've heard of horror stories where many PhD students never see their supervisor from one month to the next.
    That is great. What did you do your dissertation on? I had to do three years of course work. Then I spent 2 years on my dissertation. Five years total wasn't too bad. I graduated before many of the students with whom I started the program. Once you finish the course work, you can just maintain status until you finish the dissertation. So, some students end up stretching that out for a while. I was lucky to get a dissertation grant, so that helped me finish up faster.

Five years, including three years of coursework, is impressive! Is what you're describing the 'ABD' stage that I've seen on a lot of US Interfolio-type application forms? 

I did my thesis/dissertation in postcolonial literatures. Here's a paper I published, not from the thesis, that might be of interest, as it's a little interdisciplinary:

https://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1412&context=anthurium
    Five years, including three years of coursework, is impressive! Is what you're describing the 'ABD' stage that I've seen on a lot of US Interfolio-type application forms? 

I did my thesis/dissertation in postcolonial literatures. Here's a paper I published, not from the thesis, that might be of interest, as it's a little interdisciplinary:

https://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1412&context=anthurium
    Thanks. I will check out your article. Yes ABD stands for all but dissertation. Some people actually stop there either because they run out of time, money, or motivation to complete the dissertation - or they decide not to finish for some other reason. But generally at that stage they have completed all the coursework. Since my anthropology degree wouldn’t have been very practical without the Ph.D. I was motivated to see it through. 
    edited April 2020
    I see you did your PhD at the University of Kent, Richard. Congratulations! :clap:
    MF117973 said: I enjoyed mine as well. The dissertation was brutal though. My Ph.D. is in anthropology. I graduated in 2011. Lots of work. But well worth it.
    In which institution you did yours, MF117973? Bravo! :star:
    I really admire both of you guys! :bow:
    Fingers crossed, my turn won't be long... :prayer:
    I'm still doing mine at the University of Portsmouth. My PhD is on Digital Preservation. I'm currently in my 7th year (full-time). I started in 2013 but because of many supervisory team misfortunes, I'm still working on my thesis. They are happy with the practical aspect of my research (rendering tests), but they want me to amend the actual document. I have already submitted twice (2017 and 2018). :anguished:
    The good thing is I'm doing some teaching (Uni & associate College) at the same time. You know, to financially support myself and gain some valuable working experience for the future. And my department still pays the tuition, registration and extension fees. No more conferences for me at this stage, though. :grin:
    My final deadline is this October. Hopefully, I won't have to complete an extenuating circumstances form (covid-19).
    P.S: I have published a monograph at the proceedings of a major international conference in my field which won the Best Paper award (a little bit of show-off here to cheer me up). :wink:
    Post edited by Pap on
    Pap said:
    I see you did your PhD at the University of Kent, Richard. Congratulations! :clap:
    MF117973 said: I enjoyed mine as well. The dissertation was brutal though. My Ph.D. is in anthropology. I graduated in 2011. Lots of work. But well worth it.
    I'm still doing mine at the University of Portsmouth. My PhD is on Digital Preservation. I'm currently in my 7th year (full-time). I started in 2013 but because of many supervisory team misfortunes, I'm still working on my thesis. They are happy with the practical aspect of my research (rendering tests), but they want me to amend the actual document. I have already submitted twice (2017 and 2018). :anguished:
    The good thing is I'm doing some teaching (Uni & associate College) at the same time. You know, to financially support myself and gain some valuable working experience for the future. And my department still pays the tuition, registration and extension fees. No more conferences for me at this stage, though. :grin:
    My final deadline is this October. Hopefully, I won't have to complete an extenuating circumstances form (covid-19).
    P.S: I have published a monograph at the proceedings of a major international conference in my field which won the Best Paper award (a little bit of show-off here to cheer me up). :wink:
    I got my degree at the New School for Social Research in NYC. Good luck with your thesis. It sounds like you are getting close to finishing up. That is an exciting time. It sounds like COVID may not affect your research with your topic. My dissertation was an ethnography on homeless street youth in NYC - so had this happened during that time, all my research would have had to have been put on hold since I was hanging out and interviewing the kids on the streets. Lots of close contact with them.
     That is great that you are starting to publish. Congrats on your award. I have published a few journal articles and also a book based on my research with the street kids. It is a nice feeling to know that others may be benefiting from reading your work. Good luck with your journey. Let us know your progress.

edited April 2020
    ^ Many thanks for your kind words!
    Your PhD was on a really interesting topic.
    I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.
    Pap said:
    Hi! I actually did my PhD at Essex, but I taught at Essex (as a GTA) and Kent (as an Associate Lecturer) for a bit, before moving to the States. Good luck with your research!
    Thank you Richard!
    Pap said:
    ^ Many thanks for your kind words!
    Your PhD was on a really interesting topic.
    I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.
    How is it going. I read back my post about my Ph.D. experience and noticed a major typo. I got my Ph.D. in 2001, and not 2011. I guess I was trying to make myself younger :) oops.

No worries... :smile:  You know, I'm just trying to make some progress with my thesis writing-up.
    My PhD thesis was handed in this afternoon! :triumph:
    I successfully defended my thesis this morning! :smiley: