Options

I'm sorry but Gigaton is a major triumph!

Comments

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,390
    I keep going back to Comes then Goes. That one is special. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,451
    I keep going back to Comes then Goes. That one is special. 
    Great song, great  lyrics...wonder if it really is about or for CC?
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    EarlWelsh said:
    My personal favorite since Riot Act. Second half is especially awesome but the whole thing is really beautiful. Amazing headphone record.
    This. 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    Great record, gets better with every listen
  • Options
    Never destination is awesome. Got a little tom petty lyric in there 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    That’s the one song where I don’t get the lyrics at all 
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Is it the "She was a singer in a rock n' roll band" line??
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    JPPJ84 said:
    I’m not sure why but I feel like it’s somehow about climate change. The “she” at the end being Mother Nature.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    EarlWelsh said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    I’m not sure why but I feel like it’s somehow about climate change. The “she” at the end being Mother Nature.
     I‘ll read the lyrics again tomorrow with that in mind! But that in a rockband/hologram lyric?! Hmmm
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    EarlWelsh said:
    JPPJ84 said:
     I‘ll read the lyrics again tomorrow with that in mind! But that in a rockband/hologram lyric?! Hmmm
    Not sure about the hologram bit, haha.

”She had command of all her voices” - I read this line as referring to a time when Earth wasn’t as effected by man’s existence as it is today

”It all came down to choices” - choices we can make individually or a on a larger scale legislatively

Maybe the hologram bit refers to Mother Nature fading away due to our poor choices?
  • Options
    Mother Nature as we know her, that is. Of course she’ll never really go away. She’ll have her way with us a million times over first, haha.
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,264
    edited March 2020

Brilliant album, comes especially well on headphones ... I like it a lot better than LB - the last 3 tracks from LB are too boring for me.I Like all songs on Gigaton. My absolute favorite so far: Quick Escape.
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    jesselmsjesselms Posts: 41
    There is no filler on this album, haven’t been able to say that since vs 
  • Options
    I like how when the drums kick in and then they play the guitar and the beat plays off the other instruments and then words come in and some rhyme. Then I press repeat. 
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    On first listen, I thought it was great.  On each listen it just gets better and better.  A lot doesn't sound like their past, and some does.  I am so pleased with this one.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,467
    It's always hard to rank albums, especially new ones.  The older ones connect us to a time/place that may always hold some emotional value to us.  

That said, I REALLY REALLY like this new one.  I mean, its really good.  The lyrics and music are great.  Some are more challenging...I think I said before that Alright and Buckle Up were challenging me at the moment, and I think I get Alright now.  But Retrograde is challenging me. 
    And its not that they are bad, but it's just something new and really different. 

The others, though...a lot of instant classics on here for me. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    Gigaton is among their best work. 

Wherever that compares for you among their ‘best’ is up to each individual.  My humble .02 is that it is stellar...love it from start to finish.
  • Options
    u can’t rank albums for atleast a year
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    u can’t rank albums for atleast a year
    But you can give one 8/10 two days after it comes out?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    Since Avocanto imo..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    23scidoo said:
    Since Avocanto imo..
    Could agree. At the same time I do not find it to be that superduper triumph over LB. I mean, LB had great songs.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    23scidoo said:
    Since Avocanto imo..
    Could agree. At the same time I do not find it to be that superduper triumph over LB. I mean, LB had great songs.
    Could agree too..but its clear Gigaton is another level..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    23scidoo said:
    Since Avocanto imo..
    Yes... LB had some great songs. I agree.  But Gigaton wins because it’s a much more consistent effort front to back. It also has more layers and I don’t feel like it’s as easily figured out.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2020
    23scidoo said:
    23scidoo said:
    Since Avocanto imo..
    Could agree too..but its clear Gigaton is another level..

on2legs said:

Yes... LB had some great songs. I agree.  But Gigaton wins because it’s a much more consistent effort front to back. It also has more layers and I don’t feel like it’s as easily figured out.  

Well, put Pendulum on this album (wouldn't stick out). Yellow Moon fits Re-record Eddies vocals with this setup and give some of the LB songs (Getaway /Mind your manners maybe) a bit more... life/room/atmosphere. AND BAM! We're moving up levelwise.

I don't know if I think the songs are that superior to some of the songs on LB. I just think this one is more interesting to listen to. Like sonics wise. There are things going on here. Moody sounds. Doesn't feel as "dead". And the LB/Unthought Known-type songs and MYM/CDM punkish songs are also gone. Which feels fresh.

But it's been a while since I listened to LB - so maybe I am creating a memory of how it sounds.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    There's not a single song on this album that I want to skip.  I can't say that about too many albums.  LOVE this one.
    I'm with you on this.  That's usually a way to tell if an album is really good.  

No tracks that I feel compelled to skip means the whole is GOOD!  When something is boring to listen to, I have to skip it. 
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 818
    Best album since Yield!  It's amazing!  Thank you PJ!
    Nothing to be sorry about, I agree 100%.  Although I also thought LB could be PJ's greatest when it came out...and that thought didn't age well (I still love ya LB!).  
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    I have it as solid B+

one more banger (even Of the Earth) in between the last 4 songs would have cemented it as an A

thats just me being a lil selfish 😉
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    I know it is all up to interpretation and opinion, but I love listening to this album from start to finish. I really think it is phenomenal. Not sure why some people do not like it.
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 923

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    Really top drawer album to my ears.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."