Where are you on the new reality scale?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
I hope I'm not duplicating some of the other current threads here, but I think this one takes a bit of a different approach. 

The world as we have known it has changed- for how long, we don't know (I'm still optimistic that in a year or two we will be back on track, but probably a simpler, more cautious track).   So I'm curious as to how long it will be before day to day life feels "normal".  I don't mean necessarily normal like it was a few months ago, but normal in a new sense.  I wonder if this new norm feels normal to some people already (hard to imagine).  It sure doesn't for me.  I'm finding I'm not as resilient as I'd like to think I am (maybe due to age?) and struggle each day to roll better with the punches.  But I think eventually my brain will begin to lock into the changes and things will start to feel more routine- maybe harder and and more challenging, but at least more routine and "normal".   I hope so, because the daily anxiety sucks and is counter-productive  (but I'm always looking for tools I may have left out of the box). 

So I'm curious as to how others here are doing with accepting the current state of life as we now know it.  What do you find most helpful to accept where we are at?  What advice do you have to give others encouragement and hope? 

And, of course, as always, I want to wish everyone the best.  I sincerely hope you're all doing OK.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Stop the world...I want to get off!!!  The last couple of weeks have been exhausting!  I work in a grocery store and live with my 90yo mom.  My sister, who lives out of state, is a hospital administrator working nonstop trying to figure out how they will be able to provide care to a rapidly growing patient overload. 
    Two weeks ago when cases across the US started to blow up every store stocking food and health items got slammed hard. People just buying massive quantities. I  just have a household of 2 people but if I had 3 kids and a husband and schools were closed for 3 weeks I would have to buy alot more food and toiletries for everyone at home but it was crazy!
    My first day off I had a few items I needed to pick up and of course it took FOREVER. Late that night my mom was in severe pain and kept waking me up so I had about 2 hours sleep at best. 6am she's still in bad shape so I call 911 to take her to the hospital because there's no way she could get in the car. Four paramedics had to put her on a tarp and carry her out to a stretcher waiting on the porch.  I told her I would meet her at the hospital and one of the medics said "you won't be able to go in with her or see her...there's no visitors allowed you must wait outside."  So I waited at home. 
    About 12 hours later my sister told me mom was getting discharged. Loaded up the wheelchair and walker and went to hospital. Entrances were surrounded by yellow caution tape and 2 guards were standing in the doorway, waiting room completely empty. I told them I was picking up my mom. They asked her name and went to talk to the check in desk. Returned and said somebody would call me and suggested I wait in the car. About 20 minutes later sister calls says she's made mistake and mom is being admitted and has a fractured femur.
    The next morning when I returned I go through the same routine---stopped before I can enter, give info to a guard, who has me wait while he checks with staff inside.  He comes back and says to go to the desk. They were allowing 1 visitor for palliative or hospice patients according to rules on their website. I stood about 9 feet back from the desk in a big lobby area with nobody else waiting for about 8 minutes while they called up to staff to get their approval for my visit. 
    I am given a visitor sticker with the date on it. Biggest hospital here, I've been here several times, and it's always busy. Now it's eerie walking down long empty corridors to a bank of elevators where nobody's waiting.
    On the way to hospital I drive up to get coffee and a biscuit. Debit card is declined, says they're been having trouble and I pay cash. Coming home I try to use debit card-declined, so I put in charge card (same credit union) also declined but have enough cash with me to pay. Call cu and they say debit blocked due possible fraud activity. They ask me about a number of transactions and there's some I don't recognize. CCV number saved me 600.00.  I get home, review account and there's one that did go thru I didn't do. Try to call cu but after 25 minutes had to give up since mom was calling. Tried again same thing. Called late at nite n got thru quickly. Rep couldn't see why charge was blocked but guessing it was because of debit card problem and she would send information to another department. It's Saturday afternoon...should be able to use cash till Monday.
    Next day go to hospital policy has changed, website not yet updated, NO visitors allowed.
    Monday go to credit union shared banking since my cu is out of state. Lobby closed only drive thru now open. And they can't do shared banking at drive thru. Find another shared banking online and upon arrival see their lobby is also closed which wasnt on website. Go to drive thru...line of cars there and try read available services at drive thru listed on rather small sign posted on column ahead. Give up and get out and praying nobody freaks out or shoots me, walk up past cars to read. Sign isn't new but I'm hopeful it's still correct. Wait about 3 songs (10 mins?) Then drive up hoping I don't look too nervous I'll make them suspicious! Then I got cash to keep me going till new card is mailed. Tested credit card and it now works fine. WHEW!
    Sorry that was such a long ass post! Guess I just need to vent a little. Mom is still in hospital
     while doctors are trying to get together and consult and I am off work for at least the next 3 days and possibly longer depending on the situation.
    So today I was finally able to blast music and start rearranging the kitchen which has been put off for years.
    Stepped outside on driveway and met a neighbor walking down the street with a stroller and had a nice chat. 
    Decided to take a walk myself around sunset and admire the clouds. Walking down the arroyo saw 3 others walking or running and they all said hello or responded when I did.
    Noticed how bright the stars are....maybe less ambient light now so many places close early.
    So my advice is take a deep breath, realize everything's going to take longer than normal.
    Get outside, greet other people and be sure to keep enough cash on hand just in case!
    Hang in there everybody!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I'm very worried about my parents who are both in their 60s.  Especially worried about my dad who has had a lot of health issues the past few years and definitely falls into the high risk category.  So I'm just trying not to freak out and taking it day by day.  It's going to get much worse before it gets better.  I try to take at least 1 long walk with the dog everyday just to get out and get some fresh air to clear my head which has definitely helped.  

My new reality is my wife and I both working from home while watching a 3 year old and a 10 month old.  It has been quite a scene....I've never been so desperate to start paying the absurd costs to our daycare again.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I recently started smoking crack so I can escape reality for a few minutes.

I'm looking for mescaline now because I heard it's the only way to fly!

In all reality I keep my distance, stopped visiting anyone, stopped having cigars and am not eating out anymore.

My hands are washed even more frequently than before and I always have hand sanitizer on me...
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We’re dealing. No choice. Not ideal but things could be so much worse. I’ve not yet lost it over this and hope to stay in that calm-and-THINK mode. 

I’m not taking certain things for granted. 

I’m safe at home with my husband and cats. Got what we need save for TP. More will be stocked in time. No panic. Keeping healthy (we’re both at risk). I think my mom grasps the gravity of this. 

Trying to roll with the punches, keep worry at bay as much as possible, know there are some things over which we have zero control and other things we can do to maintain some semblance of normalcy in both mind and body. 

Exercise helps too, a great release. Sunshine, greenery, simply being outside. 

And just having some fun and laughs during this clusterfuck. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    camsjam said:
    Sorry that was such a long ass post! Guess I just need to vent a little. Mom is still in hospital
     while doctors are trying to get together and consult and I am off work for at least the next 3 days and possibly longer depending on the situation.
    So today I was finally able to blast music and start rearranging the kitchen which has been put off for years.
    Stepped outside on driveway and met a neighbor walking down the street with a stroller and had a nice chat. 
    Decided to take a walk myself around sunset and admire the clouds. Walking down the arroyo saw 3 others walking or running and they all said hello or responded when I did.
    Noticed how bright the stars are....maybe less ambient light now so many places close early.
    So my advice is take a deep breath, realize everything's going to take longer than normal.
    Get outside, greet other people and be sure to keep enough cash on hand just in case!
    Hang in there everybody!

Holy crap, cams, you've got a lot on your plate.  Good job taking care of business.  Hang in there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I'm very worried about my parents who are both in their 60s.  Especially worried about my dad who has had a lot of health issues the past few years and definitely falls into the high risk category.  So I'm just trying not to freak out and taking it day by day.  It's going to get much worse before it gets better.  I try to take at least 1 long walk with the dog everyday just to get out and get some fresh air to clear my head which has definitely helped.  

My new reality is my wife and I both working from home while watching a 3 year old and a 10 month old.  It has been quite a scene....I've never been so desperate to start paying the absurd costs to our daycare again.

Getting out for a walk is a great idea, Indifference.  I'm going to do the same today.  Hang in there!

I recently started smoking crack so I can escape reality for a few minutes.

I'm looking for mescaline now because I heard it's the only way to fly!

In all reality I keep my distance, stopped visiting anyone, stopped having cigars and am not eating out anymore.

My hands are washed even more frequently than before and I always have hand sanitizer on me...

"Give me a hot of that CRACK!"  -Neil Young

Hang in there my friend!

hedonist said:
    We’re dealing. No choice. Not ideal but things could be so much worse. I’ve not yet lost it over this and hope to stay in that calm-and-THINK mode. 

I’m not taking certain things for granted. 

I’m safe at home with my husband and cats. Got what we need save for TP. More will be stocked in time. No panic. Keeping healthy (we’re both at risk). I think my mom grasps the gravity of this. 

Trying to roll with the punches, keep worry at bay as much as possible, know there are some things over which we have zero control and other things we can do to maintain some semblance of normalcy in both mind and body. 

Exercise helps too, a great release. Sunshine, greenery, simply being outside. 

And just having some fun and laughs during this clusterfuck. 

Good job, Hedo!  Stay strong!

Besides the normal concern about the virus, getting food, etc, I'm dealing with what I assume are four spider bites.  They itch and burn like crazy.  I've had them before and one is an irritant.  Four is torture and not helping with coping with things!  I'm going to try to find a drive through pharmacy and hope I can get some Benadryl cream for them.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    been actually exercising more than before. now i have time. i mean, you don't really realize how much time socializing/bitching takes up at work. when you take all of that out of the equation, at least in my department, it leaves a shit ton of time. enough to take an hour walk with my wife and girls. 

and my HR department acknowledged this in one of our most recent updates: "we realize that not being in the office, there are some tasks that you just can't perform, so try to fend off the impending boredom with these tips...". they know that it's not all about not being able to perform all your tasks. it's also about taking the people element out of it. i always heard people who work at home talk about how much more time they have. i just assumed they were slacking off or had a cushy job. 

and i can listen to vinyl while i work!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited March 2020
    i've taken air/finger drumming on my "desk" to new heights. (currently listening to sonic reducer)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i've taken air/finger drumming on my "desk" to new heights. (currently listening to sonic reducer)

LOL, Keep on rockin', HFD!

Hope your bites get better Brian. I'm not sure what cleaning products you use but if your skin isn't broken anything that has ammonia, or windex can help relieve the itching and dry up the bite. Hang in there.
    camsjam said:
    Hope your bites get better Brian. I'm not sure what cleaning products you use but if your skin isn't broken anything that has ammonia, or windex can help relieve the itching and dry up the bite. Hang in there.

Thanks, cams.  I got some Benadryl spry at a drive-through window at Walgreens (very cool- no need to go in the store!) and it is helping a little.

Waking up this morning, this new reality felt a little too normal and my first reaction was resentment.   I think I felt that way because I had dreams last night that felt very B.C. (before Coronavirus), and I just longed to go back to the old routine.  I have to remind myself that life won't be like this forever and try to stay positive. 

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Still going into work every day , I want nothing more than to be home but both my sisters are going stir crazy with their kids , home schooling and the such.

Sorry if it is repetitive from other posts , I work for a small credit union and manage our NH operations , I just have two other people in my office with me ( I have six offices , large conference room ect ) so I can keep my distance from others. However I get home from work and just eat dinner and more or less pass out before 9pm and sleep right on thru to 7:45am.

Wife has been furlowed , unemployment was supposed to be in her bank account on Wednesday but because our claims went up 3,000% in NH over the last week they said it is taken longer than normal. We don't live paycheck to paycheck so I realize we are very lucky in that regard.

I miss my mom , sisters and friends and thank god they are all healthy , taking all the steps I can , hand washing ( my knuckles are ready to crack open ) , showering as soon as I get home , social distancing , leaving my house for exercise with my wife for a short period of time ( just the two of us ) and staying inside the rest of the time.

I do feel like those of us on the board doing all these things are still in the minority , I still see people out and about and doing things they should no be doing. I feel like some just will never take this seriously because we don't live in one of the epicenters and you cannot see this threat.

I do get to listen to music to and from work so loud that it makes my ears ring but I sing along as loud as I can and that seems to help.

Our doctors / nurses should have a holiday when this is all over , also grocery store works should be getting paid 25 dollars an hour right now for the work they are putting in and dealing with so much of the public. They should also get a holiday when this is done.

Also shout out to anyone donating time to food banks , blood banks , getting meals to the elderly and our healthcare works.

Sorry super long post.

Matts3221 said:

Still going into work every day , I want nothing more than to be home but both my sisters are going stir crazy with their kids , home schooling and the such.

Sorry if it is repetitive from other posts , I work for a small credit union and manage our NH operations , I just have two other people in my office with me ( I have six offices , large conference room ect ) so I can keep my distance from others. However I get home from work and just eat dinner and more or less pass out before 9pm and sleep right on thru to 7:45am.

Wife has been furlowed , unemployment was supposed to be in her bank account on Wednesday but because our claims went up 3,000% in NH over the last week they said it is taken longer than normal. We don't live paycheck to paycheck so I realize we are very lucky in that regard.

I miss my mom , sisters and friends and thank god they are all healthy , taking all the steps I can , hand washing ( my knuckles are ready to crack open ) , showering as soon as I get home , social distancing , leaving my house for exercise with my wife for a short period of time ( just the two of us ) and staying inside the rest of the time.

I do feel like those of us on the board doing all these things are still in the minority , I still see people out and about and doing things they should no be doing. I feel like some just will never take this seriously because we don't live in one of the epicenters and you cannot see this threat.

I do get to listen to music to and from work so loud that it makes my ears ring but I sing along as loud as I can and that seems to help.

Our doctors / nurses should have a holiday when this is all over , also grocery store works should be getting paid 25 dollars an hour right now for the work they are putting in and dealing with so much of the public. They should also get a holiday when this is done.

Also shout out to anyone donating time to food banks , blood banks , getting meals to the elderly and our healthcare works.

Sorry super long post.

Great post, Matts, thanks!

"If reality is what I see..."

It's humbling.
    https://youtu.be/UQLLpt1QGcM
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    I've been enjoying meditating and feeding the birds in my garden... I love staying home but I've had quite a few setbacks too. I guess it's all about finding balance, creating meaning, being kind to yourself and doing things which make you happy (finding silver linings). Nowadays I spend a lot of my free time helping people who are elderly, unwell and homeless which I find really rewarding. For me this is the new normal and in many respects I dont really want it to change.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
    I've been enjoying meditating and feeding the birds in my garden... I love staying home but I've had quite a few setbacks too. I guess it's all about finding balance, creating meaning, being kind to yourself, doing things which make you happy and finding silver linings. For me this is the new normal and in some respects, particularly working from home I dont really want it to change.

That sounds like a great new normal to me!

It's not for everyone though, especially more gregarious type people.  I was just listening to Juliana Hatfield and her band doing some songs on KEXP out of Seattle.  In the middle of the short set, she was interviewed and one of the things she talked about was why she named one of her latest album, Weird.  She said it had to do with her  being comfortable with not going out a lot and being good with spending time alone, and how in some ways society sees that as "weird".  I don't think it's weird at all.  I'm guessing other than not doing gigs these days, she probably finds the stay at home COVID thing to her liking. 

I'm sorry to hear you've had some setbacks, West Coast Dreamgirl  Nothing too serious, I hope.  

• West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    Thank you @brianlux

Yeah it's crazy how some people see others as weird, who are content with staying home and being alone particularly if they do music. I don't understand what's wrong with that. Surely it's peaceful?

As for the setbacks, lets just say this quote is really rather apt as the bricks have been coming in pretty thick and fast: "A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her" ~David Brinkley

BTW there's a little brick wall at the end of my garden and I've been putting bird feed into a few of the bricks which have come loose. I really enjoy watching the little birds land there during meditation :)
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    First up I just want to echo your last sentence and wish you the best Brian.

It's been a strange few months, that's for sure! It certainly hasn't been as bad here in Australia as it has in other countries - we've got a relatively low rate of cases and deaths, despite the size of the place - so it's almost been like we are observing from afar at times. We did lose a friend to Covid-19 in April. He was only 37 and he was living in London. It took a long time for his family to get his body home to Australia unfortunately but they were finally able to have a funeral here. I never would have thought that a Zoom wake would be a thing; it was nice to be able to raise a glass and share memories with friends even if it was only online.

The schools here in Sydney opened again in late May so our son has been back with his friends. Soccer training has started again, but with limited spectators, and the general restrictions have eased. This got me thinking about what 'normal' really is these days...

It seems to me that the normal things that we missed - going into the office, school, soccer matches, shopping etc - actually feel strange now, and staying at home almost feels right. Catching up with friends after months apart and not knowing whether you could/should give them a hug is really weird. I can't go to get groceries without feeling slightly apprehensive. I really didn't want to work from home as I try to keep the two separate as much as possible, but now I find myself not wanting to go back in.

One good thing that has come out of this is that we Facetime my parents every night, instead of once a week. They're in their 70s and the UK lockdown has been pretty tough for them. So every night (their morning) we call and mum and my son take it in turns to read stories to each other. It's been great for him to see them, and he brightens their mornings too. They've just cracked through the 100 book mark!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    First up I just want to echo your last sentence and wish you the best Brian.

It's been a strange few months, that's for sure! It certainly hasn't been as bad here in Australia as it has in other countries - we've got a relatively low rate of cases and deaths, despite the size of the place - so it's almost been like we are observing from afar at times. We did lose a friend to Covid-19 in April. He was only 37 and he was living in London. It took a long time for his family to get his body home to Australia unfortunately but they were finally able to have a funeral here. I never would have thought that a Zoom wake would be a thing; it was nice to be able to raise a glass and share memories with friends even if it was only online.

The schools here in Sydney opened again in late May so our son has been back with his friends. Soccer training has started again, but with limited spectators, and the general restrictions have eased. This got me thinking about what 'normal' really is these days...

It seems to me that the normal things that we missed - going into the office, school, soccer matches, shopping etc - actually feel strange now, and staying at home almost feels right. Catching up with friends after months apart and not knowing whether you could/should give them a hug is really weird. I can't go to get groceries without feeling slightly apprehensive. I really didn't want to work from home as I try to keep the two separate as much as possible, but now I find myself not wanting to go back in.

One good thing that has come out of this is that we Facetime my parents every night, instead of once a week. They're in their 70s and the UK lockdown has been pretty tough for them. So every night (their morning) we call and mum and my son take it in turns to read stories to each other. It's been great for him to see them, and he brightens their mornings too. They've just cracked through the 100 book mark!

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, goldrush
    I hope your folk's stay well.  One good thing through all of this is that because of the internet and modern phones, we're able to stay in touch with friends and family, even ones who are far away.

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

God my post in March feels like a million years ago now.

We have re-opened our office , again just three of us all wearing mask and have plexglass if I have to meet with a client.

I want to be hopeful but it sounds like this winter is going to be very grim , I do feel that it is lack of leadership from the top.

If we could just all get on the same page with mask , not going out unless we need to ect ect we could have this under control like other countries.

We have a two week quarantine law for those traveling from hot spot states , however there is no way to enforce it , I know a client who has six people flying up for FL and that day they were all going to the beach.

I feel that their are two type of people who are "over it"

I am over it but that does not mean I am not vigilant as one can be , using a mask , staying away from crowds , not out shopping other than groceries and I had to get a new toaster the other week. When I went to target to get the toaster I was amazed how many people were just casual shopping , I had an item to get , got it and got out.

I think the other brand of "over it" are those who have now throw caution to the wind and just saying fuck it , no mask , going to parties. I have an 18 year old niece and she is posting on her IG pics of her and her friends all close and out and about. It is maddening to me but I cannot control people , I can control what I do to keep myself safe.

I honestly think that summer of 2021 is when we will ease into the new normal , numbers will hopeful be down , vaccine in the works to be rolled out by the fall but I see wearing a mask for the next year or two.

I personally like thinking the worst so when it is not that bad my hopes are not crushed.

• The youth probably think they're immune to it but I can understand how they want to be with their friends.  Our offices have reopened but we dont have to go in, we have a choice which is nice. Who knows how long this will go on for, best to try and just make the most of what we have right now I think. 
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    The youth probably think they're immune to it but I can understand how they want to be with their friends.  Our offices have reopened but we dont have to go in, we have a choice which is nice. Who knows how long this will go on for, best to try and just make the most of what we have right now I think. 
    Great way to look at the current situation. There are positives if one looks for them and remembers to be compassionate towards others. :smile:
  • I appreciate your compassion @RogueStoner @GlowGirl, thank you. I just read the gratitude thread :)
    I'm feeling blown away by this new reality.  Good, bad or indifferent, the major changes in the world and in my own life this year:

Covid-19
    Forced retirement from my job at the bookstore (though still doing my on-line business)
    Social upheaval centered around race issues
    A hugely major year in politics, particular with an upcoming presidential election
    Record heat here in the west with fires raging throughout the state.
    An important home improvement project disrupted by inability of a friend to continue helping/ doing much of the work
    Death of a dear friend this year

It's been anything but boring, but often a bit too much!

I was going to start a “Bitch here” thread (an invitation, not a statement!). 

It’s been a tough time personally but I fear if I go into it all at the moment, it’d be a bit much.

i just have to believe there will be better times ahead. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If you start a "Bitch here" thread, I will be forced to start a "Bitch, please" thread.
    I SAW PEARL JAM