How has your life changed?

Here is my story. Please tell me yours.

I woke up last Sunday and loaded my semi with food, water, sanitizer, disinfectant. I was sent 800 miles to Virginia to bring food supplies. Along the way I soon realized my life was going to be a little different. My 1st stop at a truck stop for fuel was quite interesting. All restaurants associated with the truck stops are now closed. The fast food options remain open, but its all "To Go". First thing I noticed is NOBODY was playing by the rules. Truck drivers roaming inside within 1 foot of each other, NOBODY wearing gloves, and masks? FORGET IT. The people working the counters of the truck stops were not wearing gloves either. After 48 hours and a couple more visits to the truck stops, I realized I will no longer be visiting, other than getting fuel. Which now means, HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO SHOWER ? I NEED TO STAY GERM FREE OUT HERE! AND I CANT SHOWER? I call my wife and have her order me some bathing wipes so I can now take bird baths in my truck.  At one point the Governor of Pennsylvania decided to shut down all rest areas, meaning trucks(THE GUYS WORKING THE SUPPLY LINES HERE IN AMERICA), were no longer allowed to park or use the rest rooms in Pennsylvania. That order was soon changed, as I am guessing MR. Governor realized if he doesn't let the truck drivers park, his shelves of toilet paper will never be replenished, because us drivers might not show up in his state. Anyway, I realize the Governor was just making decisions in a time of pure sadness and insanity. I hold nothing against the Governor or that decision. Its crazy times. I head back to Chicago with a load going to Ohare airport. I WAS HORRIFIED at what was going on at Ohare cargo. NOBODY WEARING GLOVES OR MASKS! Drivers, 10-15 guys at a time all in a small room checking in with office personal who also were NOT WEARING GLOVES. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

My 3rd trip of the week sent me to NEW YORK( you know the state with the MOST CASES of Corona in the nation). I am now using wet wipes to keep clean. I am thanking the dear lord for allowing me to have enough common sense to have brought enough food to get through the week. I am NOT HAPPY realizing I am still stuck making stops in the morning to get a cup of hot coffee, WHERE NOBODY BEHIND THE COUNTERS ARE WEARING GLOVES!!! FUCK PEOPLE GET WITH IT!!! THIS IS FOR REAL!!!

Anyway, I pick up 44,000 LBS of bottled water to bring back to the Chicagoland area. I will spend 34 hours on break, and by that I mean supplying my truck with more wipes, disinfectant, body wipes, food, water, CHILLED COFFEE since it doesn't look like I can handle getting hot coffee. Then I am bringing 20,000lbs of food goods to Alabama, where like everywhere else the virus is doubling in numbers by the day.

I am in this for the duration. I am needed to bring food, water, and supplies at a time where my country, and the rest of the world is at war. I will provide as long as I am allowed.

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

CAN EVERYONE PLEASE JUST PUT ON SOME FUCKING GLOVES!!!!!!!

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410

I woke up last Sunday and loaded my semi with food, water, sanitizer, disinfectant. I was sent 800 miles to Virginia to bring food supplies. Along the way I soon realized my life was going to be a little different. My 1st stop at a truck stop for fuel was quite interesting. All restaurants associated with the truck stops are now closed. The fast food options remain open, but its all "To Go". First thing I noticed is NOBODY was playing by the rules. Truck drivers roaming inside within 1 foot of each other, NOBODY wearing gloves, and masks? FORGET IT. The people working the counters of the truck stops were not wearing gloves either. After 48 hours and a couple more visits to the truck stops, I realized I will no longer be visiting, other than getting fuel. Which now means, HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO SHOWER ? I NEED TO STAY GERM FREE OUT HERE! AND I CANT SHOWER? I call my wife and have her order me some bathing wipes so I can now take bird baths in my truck.  At one point the Governor of Pennsylvania decided to shut down all rest areas, meaning trucks(THE GUYS WORKING THE SUPPLY LINES HERE IN AMERICA), were no longer allowed to park or use the rest rooms in Pennsylvania. That order was soon changed, as I am guessing MR. Governor realized if he doesn't let the truck drivers park, his shelves of toilet paper will never be replenished, because us drivers might not show up in his state. Anyway, I realize the Governor was just making decisions in a time of pure sadness and insanity. I hold nothing against the Governor or that decision. Its crazy times. I head back to Chicago with a load going to Ohare airport. I WAS HORRIFIED at what was going on at Ohare cargo. NOBODY WEARING GLOVES OR MASKS! Drivers, 10-15 guys at a time all in a small room checking in with office personal who also were NOT WEARING GLOVES. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

My 3rd trip of the week sent me to NEW YORK( you know the state with the MOST CASES of Corona in the nation). I am now using wet wipes to keep clean. I am thanking the dear lord for allowing me to have enough common sense to have brought enough food to get through the week. I am NOT HAPPY realizing I am still stuck making stops in the morning to get a cup of hot coffee, WHERE NOBODY BEHIND THE COUNTERS ARE WEARING GLOVES!!! FUCK PEOPLE GET WITH IT!!! THIS IS FOR REAL!!!

Anyway, I pick up 44,000 LBS of bottled water to bring back to the Chicagoland area. I will spend 34 hours on break, and by that I mean supplying my truck with more wipes, disinfectant, body wipes, food, water, CHILLED COFFEE since it doesn't look like I can handle getting hot coffee. Then I am bringing 20,000lbs of food goods to Alabama, where like everywhere else the virus is doubling in numbers by the day.

I am in this for the duration. I am needed to bring food, water, and supplies at a time where my country, and the rest of the world is at war. I will provide as long as I am allowed.

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

Copper kills germs and viruses......

do you have an inverter in the truck? how many watts? if not get you one of the 12V coffee makers. takes second to warm up but you can then brew your own. I have one I no longer use I would be willing to send you. Next time you are home  You would have it. OR brave the dreaded truck stops again and buy one there.

Another option is asking your bosses to have your mechanics to install a 2000 watt  one or larger. You can then get a microwave, maybe a small fridge too. effectively eliminating most of the reason to enter a truck stop....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Bless you and those on the road with you, Speedy. May you keep safe. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

Thanks for doing what you do in these tough times! Some people are just stupid like the spring breakers in Florida, stay safe Mike I’m a nervous wreck everyday I go into hospital to work and my son also works there but not directly with patients but still nerve racking..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    By the way it’s good to see you around here! I know I know you don’t give a rats ass lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

Thank you SPEEDY MCCREADY! <3  NYC here, do not walk out my front door without gloves on. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Thank you so very much for helping keep the supply line going, Speedy. 

Major kudos for all you folks who are keeping supplies moving and available, keeping service stations open for fueling up, keeping grocery stores going so we can eat, keeping the power on so we don't freeze at home, and especially for those of you doing such massively essential work in the health care field.   You are all heroes.

My story is not very exciting.  We worry about our health and that of our friends because we are all in our late 60's or older.  I am very worried about some family members and friends who are even older than I am and are quite vulnerable. 

It's hard watching my wife's business of 36 years and my book and vinyl business shut down for who knows how long, and wondering if we will have a future in doing them again.  The psychology of being without a job is a bummer for me- I've never wanted to "retire" (but I'm not complaining because I know most of us are in the same position).  We've taken stock of rations and figure we can last a couple months and hope more will become available.    I'm having trouble focusing with my right eye and I can't go to see an optometrist right now so that kind of sucks because I love reading. 

On the plus side, I have a wonderful wife who is still healthy.  We have plenty of cat food and Annie is healthy.  I have a nice collection of records to listen to.  The power has only gone out once for just a few hours.  The internet and phones are wonderful things that are keeping us connected with friends and family.    We have Governor Newsom who is looking very competent and hard working these days.   And we caught up on some much needed rain here and snow in the mountains last week with a good chance for more this coming week.

Best wishes all.  I'll look forward to hearing your stories.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    mickeyrat said:

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

do you have an inverter in the truck? how many watts? if not get you one of the 12V coffee makers. takes second to warm up but you can then brew your own. I have one I no longer use I would be willing to send you. Next time you are home  You would have it. OR brave the dreaded truck stops again and buy one there.

Another option is asking your bosses to have your mechanics to install a 2000 watt  one or larger. You can then get a microwave, maybe a small fridge too. effectively eliminating most of the reason to enter a truck stop....
    I have the 12v which I guess I will be using. I just like Pilots extra extra extra caffeine with some half and half and 1 pack of sweetner. 24 ounces of that? Im good for 14 hours!
    By the way it’s good to see you around here! I know I know you don’t give a rats ass lol 

Good to see you! You want to laugh? I BET I CAN MAKE YOU LAUGH!!!

Dropped my 10 club number twice over the last 3 years or so. Any way Mr. Lowest 10club number on the planet, you want to know my number as of today?

714xxx

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brianlux said:

Major kudos for all you folks who are keeping supplies moving and available, keeping service stations open for fueling up, keeping grocery stores going so we can eat, keeping the power on so we don't freeze at home, and especially for those of you doing such massively essential work in the health care field.   You are all heroes.

My story is not very exciting.  We worry about our health and that of our friends because we are all in our late 60's or older.  I am very worried about some family members and friends who are even older than I am and are quite vulnerable. 

It's hard watching my wife's business of 36 years and my book and vinyl business shut down for who knows how long, and wondering if we will have a future in doing them again.  The psychology of being without a job is a bummer for me- I've never wanted to "retire" (but I'm not complaining because I know most of us are in the same position).  We've taken stock of rations and figure we can last a couple months and hope more will become available.    I'm having trouble focusing with my right eye and I can't go to see an optometrist right now so that kind of sucks because I love reading. 

On the plus side, I have a wonderful wife who is still healthy.  We have plenty of cat food and Annie is healthy.  I have a nice collection of records to listen to.  The power has only gone out once for just a few hours.  The internet and phones are wonderful things that are keeping us connected with friends and family.    We have Governor Newsom who is looking very competent and hard working these days.   And we caught up on some much needed rain here and snow in the mountains last week with a good chance for more this coming week.

Best wishes to you Brian. You and your loved ones STAY SAFE!

And yes, next week I will come back and share my story.

Because with our world changing every 12-24 hours? I HAVE NO IDEA what I am oin store for in the next 5-10 days out on the road.

mickeyrat said:

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

I have the 12v which I guess I will be using. I just like Pilots extra extra extra caffeine with some half and half and 1 pack of sweetner. 24 ounces of that? Im good for 14 hours!

run the truck while brewing.  it just takes so long to come to temp.... There should be some extra caffeinated available in ground form at the store...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

run the truck while brewing.  it just takes so long to come to temp.... There should be some extra caffeinated available in ground form at the store...

I will be in Alabama Tuesday.

Because Alabama needs 14,000 lbs of Macaroni and Cheese.

Then who knows whats next.

At 6am Walmart Dist. was THRILLED to see me show up with 819 cases of water. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Then went down the road 45 miles to get the macaroni and cheese.

Hey Brian? I picked up about $50 worth of cat food for my 2 little angels a couple days ago. Pancakes and Cupcakes are all set!
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

At 6am Walmart Dist. was THRILLED to see me show up with 819 cases of water. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Then went down the road 45 miles to get the macaroni and cheese.

Guess they are NOT using lumpers to unload you guys!!!!

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Everyone’s lifestyle will change, even those seemingly with careers that might not change. As a teacher I know unlike many others, my job will still be there. But we will face pay cuts, teacher reductions that will result in larger class sizes, pay freezes and a reduced pension. Many districts are still recovering from the 2008 crash, and I fear this will have an even bigger financial impact that will crate an even bigger hardship for educators. Buildings and facilities that are already in need of repairs and updates may now go decades before getting them.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I JUST ASK ONE FAVOR

Guess they are NOT using lumpers to unload you guys!!!!

Purposely stayed away from Walmarts for 2 years. I told my boss, last Monday, to jump on the food and supplies that are needed, as far as keeping us rolling. And as you know, in 72 hours, that's really all that will be rolling since every other business is shut down. My boss says he will keep me rolling as long as I legally can. I really don't see us truckers being shut down at any point. I guess we are lucky that we get to keep working....BUT

There is NO DOUBT we are obviously putting ourselves in harms way. Starting Monday anyone I deal with who is not wearing gloves? They are going to get a FUCKING EARFULL from ole SPEEDY.

brianlux said:

Best wishes to you Brian. You and your loved ones STAY SAFE!

And yes, next week I will come back and share my story.

Because with our world changing every 12-24 hours? I HAVE NO IDEA what I am oin store for in the next 5-10 days out on the road.

Thank you, Speedy!

Will look forward to hearing more from you.  Stay safe as possible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mace1229 said:
    Everyone’s lifestyle will change, even those seemingly with careers that might not change. As a teacher I know unlike many others, my job will still be there. But we will face pay cuts, teacher reductions that will result in larger class sizes, pay freezes and a reduced pension. Many districts are still recovering from the 2008 crash, and I fear this will have an even bigger financial impact that will crate an even bigger hardship for educators. Buildings and facilities that are already in need of repairs and updates may now go decades before getting them.

I hope it works out for you when this storm passes, Mace.  Hang in there!

So for right now, not much has changed with work. Wife worked from home before. My job would be considered essential, however this is dependent on the freight we have available to haul and how many drivers above me would be willing to stay home. Now we have implemented some additional cleaning measures given we have shared trucks. Terminals have seen some alterations too.

the changes I see in general are the same ones everyone else is facing out in the world.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    I work from home 95% of the time.  In person client meetings and all travel has been cancelled. Before C19, I would go days at a time without leaving my home anyways.

I work in insurance, so it's all hands on deck for our C19 response.  We have clients in health care, food prep, hospitality, etc who will be exposed.  Fortunately not much of an influx yet.

Dating and social life has taken a real downturn. Otherwise not much has changed....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    mickeyrat said:
    So for right now, not much has changed with work. Wife worked from home before. My job would be considered essential, however this is dependent on the freight we have available to haul and how many drivers above me would be willing to stay home. Now we have implemented some additional cleaning measures given we have shared trucks. Terminals have seen some alterations too.

the changes I see in general are the same ones everyone else is facing out in the world.
    Im guessing our local drivers will see a BIG CHANGE come Monday. Illinois is on a complete shutdown. Our company will be ready and willing to work of course, but I have a feeling our local guys lost 75% of their freight as of 5pm yesterday. Monday will be interesting and sad.
    mickeyrat said:

Im guessing our local drivers will see a BIG CHANGE come Monday. Illinois is on a complete shutdown. Our company will be ready and willing to work of course, but I have a feeling our local guys lost 75% of their freight as of 5pm yesterday. Monday will be interesting and sad.
    our term has a couple medical supply customers who of course are shipping more, that has helped a lot to make up for those that hsve shuttered. we arent at complete shut down statewide so we're still good. but really we're only what 1- 2 weeks into this here?

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

our term has a couple medical supply customers who of course are shipping more, that has helped a lot to make up for those that hsve shuttered. we arent at complete shut down statewide so we're still good. but really we're only what 1- 2 weeks into this here?
    Local guy I see yesterday when I pull in to my home terminal tells me he is not worried. He says we are essential and will keep on working. How on Earth can this guy NOT REALIZE at least 75% of his accounts have just been shut down?
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Stay safe out there!  and Thank You!!!!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Thanks for sharing your story. I didn’t have time to read it when I shared what I expect to change for me. But it makes me think of things I never would have thought of. All I could think is where is all the toilet paper and not consider those driving across states in those conditions. No places to stop, eat, and most importantly get good rest.
    I hope they improve the conditions for drivers like you and make it safer and more comfortable.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Local guy I see yesterday when I pull in to my home terminal tells me he is not worried. He says we are essential and will keep on working. How on Earth can this guy NOT REALIZE at least 75% of his accounts have just been shut down?
    linehaul in my barn was already short 2 drivers so we are somewhat better positioned than other terminals. city is fully staffed so some may get hours cut.

call offs are voluntary at first.  by seniority. if everyone refuses then the bottom guys get forced off....

• Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Hey Mike, hope all is well. It’s crazy to think that the truck drivers out there are not getting enough praise for what you guys are doing. Just like the professional health care providers out there, you and all the other drivers out there are doing your part of what is helping out everybody in this time of need. Without you guys, the very much needed supplies around the country and world would never get to where they need to be. After reading the situations you and all the other drivers are encountering, I don’t doubt that you all are on the front lines just like the health care providers. So with that being said, thank you for what you all are doing out there, and please stay safe. Hope to see you and the gang soon when this tour gets rescheduled. It’s always a blast when Speedy rounds up the troops and gets everybody together for the pre parties. Stay safe out there. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Stay safe out there on the road, buddy. And THANK YOU. If you're ever in KC & need to crash, call me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Ray J. T. said:
    Hey Mike, hope all is well. It’s crazy to think that the truck drivers out there are not getting enough praise for what you guys are doing. Just like the professional health care providers out there, you and all the other drivers out there are doing your part of what is helping out everybody in this time of need. Without you guys, the very much needed supplies around the country and world would never get to where they need to be. After reading the situations you and all the other drivers are encountering, I don’t doubt that you all are on the front lines just like the health care providers. So with that being said, thank you for what you all are doing out there, and please stay safe. Hope to see you and the gang soon when this tour gets rescheduled. It’s always a blast when Speedy rounds up the troops and gets everybody together for the pre parties. Stay safe out there. 

HEY!!!!!

Yes, a year from now, we will all get together at a show, and I will buy the 1st 100 drinks.

You and your family stay safe.

mfc2006 said:
    Stay safe out there on the road, buddy. And THANK YOU. If you're ever in KC & need to crash, call me.

Thank you.

BE SAFE!

mace1229 said:
    Thanks for sharing your story. I didn’t have time to read it when I shared what I expect to change for me. But it makes me think of things I never would have thought of. All I could think is where is all the toilet paper and not consider those driving across states in those conditions. No places to stop, eat, and most importantly get good rest.
    I hope they improve the conditions for drivers like you and make it safer and more comfortable.

It was just a 48 hour experience in Pennsylvania where parking became an issue. Other than that, I am making great timing wherever I travel. Because sadly, there is nobody else on the road. Its creepy at times.

But the truck stops restaurants are open, but like everywhere else its just carryout. But for the truckers who spend weeks at a time on the road, I cant begin to tell u how nice it is to every once in a while walk into Dennys and get some nice hot breakfast and a cup of coffee. It just brings 30 minutes of normalcy to our lives.

My only true gripe as of now is my fellow truckers not playing by the rules. Not keeping a safe distance from one another, not wearing the gloves etc.