My Living Organ Donor Story

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The Krakow concert ties - I love it.

And beautiful description of what such a horrific place (and time) did for you.  I hope to go some day, and visit the ghosts of father's family.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    When we were walking back at Birkenau, I just stopped on the road... and it hit me. Like a giant wave of fear, sadness, emotion and dread. 
    Maybe I just never wanted to believe it before or I was just naive, but I realized all that I have come to know and expect (my human rights) could all be gone in a flash due to one maniac. 
    It was at that point Trumps face flashed through my brain and all of his crazy speeches and fanatical supporters. His hate speech towards certain groups, talk about saving the economy, etc.  It all started to sound eerily similar to the piece of shit, the human garbage responsible for what happened right where I was standing. 

Maybe I was being over-dramatic, but in every way I changed that day and began living my life for others.  I may not have been a living donors for Steve had I not gone to Birkenau/Auschwitz the day after that Krakow concert, but I’ll never know. I’d like to think so! 
    I guess it’s just another way that being a PJ fan and experiencing them, observing their own humanitarianism (remember the speech on the Polish citizens freedom) around the world ha made me a better person. 
    You’ve captured it perfectly. I also had that sense of how fragile our seemingly-stable, safe democratic society could be. I wandered around thinking about what the response would have been if you had asked German or Polish  citizens prior to the war whether they thought such atrocities could happen. Five years earlier, even two years earlier, would people have laughed and dismissed it out of hand? How had it gotten that far? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • When we were walking back at Birkenau, I just stopped on the road... and it hit me. Like a giant wave of fear, sadness, emotion and dread. 
    Maybe I just never wanted to believe it before or I was just naive, but I realized all that I have come to know and expect (my human rights) could all be gone in a flash due to one maniac. 
    It was at that point Trumps face flashed through my brain and all of his crazy speeches and fanatical supporters. His hate speech towards certain groups, talk about saving the economy, etc.  It all started to sound eerily similar to the piece of shit, the human garbage responsible for what happened right where I was standing. 

Maybe I was being over-dramatic, but in every way I changed that day and began living my life for others.  I may not have been a living donors for Steve had I not gone to Birkenau/Auschwitz the day after that Krakow concert, but I’ll never know. I’d like to think so! 
    I guess it’s just another way that being a PJ fan and experiencing them, observing their own humanitarianism (remember the speech on the Polish citizens freedom) around the world ha made me a better person. 
    You’ve captured it perfectly. I also had that sense of how fragile our seemingly-stable, safe democratic society could be. I wandered around thinking about what the response would have been if you had asked German or Polish  citizens prior to the war whether they thought such atrocities could happen. Five years earlier, even two years earlier, would people have laughed and dismissed it out of hand? How had it gotten that far? 
    Exactly. It’s like an evil card trick.  You let your guard down.... and before you know it, you’ve lost. 

When I wrote that earlier it took me right back to that time and place the feelings, etc.   Must be just like Eddie when he sings those songs... it all just comes flooding back.  
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Hi 1ThoughtKnown! Checking in on you & your brother-in-law- how are both of you doing?
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2019
    Renfield said:
    Hi 1ThoughtKnown! Checking in on you & your brother-in-law- how are both of you doing?
    Hi there! My Brother-In-Law told me this past week he tells the best he has in two years! Had a bit of an infection develop but antibiotics made quick work of it so thankfully it was t one of those “super bugs” you read about. 

I developed ulcer-like pain in my stomach and am taking some medication for it.  May have been a combined factor of a love of kamboucha and the medication I was on post-op did a little damage to my stomach lining. No kamboucha and a little medication and I’m 100%!
    Enlisted the help of a Holistic Nutritionist to help me adjust to living without a gall bladder.  Really didn’t realize how much fat intake My diet included. I really thought I was eating healthy! Lol.
    A week into the meal plan and it feels great. 

Hope you are doing well! Thanks so much for thinking of us... makes me so proud to be one of the Jamily :) 
  • So good to know you are both doing well...
    Half a liver, no gallbladder, what’s a little infection...
    Glad to hear all is good!
  • Renfield said:
    Half a liver, no gallbladder, what’s a little infection...
    Glad to hear all is good!
    My liver has completely grown back! He has to live with 68% of mine.  Lol.
    It was his birthday today... certainly a better one than last year he said 
    Here's to healthy livers!  And givers of such :)
    hedonist said:
    Here's to healthy livers!  And givers of such :)
    Hear, hear <3
  • Hear hear to the kindness of two shining examples of the goodness, the kindness and the caring that exemplifies the Jamily. :) 
    It’s what my family (and friends) doesn’t understand about our Pearl Jam fandom. Sure, PJ is amazing on their own, but the community.... well, it’s made me a better person.  
  • This is hard to type but......

Unfortunately.... this story does not have a happy ending.  Despite all the pre-surgery scans and tests, the cancer has re-emerged in my BiL.
    It has spread quickly and after reviewing recent scans with his doctor today they are estimating he has anywhere from a few weeks to a few months left. 

I only post this because very few people know of this news and here I am somewhat anonymous and some of you were so kind. I cannot accurately describe the pain I feel for him, his wife, his children, his parents and siblings (including my wife).  I would do it all over again of course, it may have given him a few extra months.  

Thanks again to those of you for your kind words.  It is still, and always will be, the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.  Times like these remind you of what is really important. 

The fellas in PJ and 10c and their crew are fine people and so are a good majority of their fans....  Stay cool everyone.  Hopefully we can go to Denver, Phoenix and San Diego as planned.  Only time will tell..... Peace and Love, Peace and Love. 
  • This is heart breaking.  You are all in my thoughts . Life is ridiculously  hard. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I’m so gutted to hear this.  Funny, I was just thinking of you the other day, wondering how things were progressing. and then to hear this,  my heart aches for your families.  Sending all of you love and light as you navigate through this difficult period.  I hope he is well enough to celebrate his life with those he loves in the time he has left.   (((Hugs)))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • So sorry to hear this...wishing you love and light and the ability to travel to the shows...peace and love
    I’m so sorry to hear this sad news... my thoughts are with you and your family. Sending my love.
    Peace, Carol
    This is such tough news for you and your family. I expect your gift did give him some
    extra time, but more than that, you stepped up and let him know that he matters to someone. In a concrete way you gave him love and you gave him hope, and that means an awful lot. 
    Well goddammit. 

My best wishes to your BIL and whole family. 
  • Thanks everyone 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Oh man that sucks so sorry to hear about the turn of events , my thoughts to you and your bil & family ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    This is such tough news for you and your family. I expect your gift did give him some
    extra time, but more than that, you stepped up and let him know that he matters to someone. In a concrete way you gave him love and you gave him hope, and that means an awful lot. 
    That was beautifully stated Often.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • I should have said thanks everyone for your kind words and kind energy towards my family and I. It really means a lot. 
    Thanks often, fifthelement is right... you captured it perfectly. What a gift you have. 
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Dang, sending good thoughts to everyone...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Just revisited this thread to remind myself of how blessed I am... sure the spring cancellation is disappointing, but my brother-in-law is in a hospital and slowly slipping away. Every. Day.  He will never go home again without some kind of miracle... 😔

Puts the boys in PJ’s position easy to understand doesn’t it? Does anyone really think they want someone to catch COVID-19 at their show and inadvertently pass it on to someone vulnerable? Someone who could succumb to the illness? Could anyone live with that on their conscience? Certainly not these guys. 

We are going to use the time we were going to see PJ and head back to my wife’s hometown. Hopefully my BIL will still be with us. 
    Peace and be kind to each other folks. The shows will happen and the band will bring it.  Guaranteed. 

We will hold onto our Denver GA tickets. Hopefully when the show is rescheduled we will be able to go. Thanks for reading and much love to the Faithful. Peace. Out.

Oh damn...good thoughts for your BIL.

And I hear you on blessing-counting.  Been doing that a lot myself lately.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    We are truly lucky everyday.  I can only send love and i think of this page a lot
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Thanks to both of you. 

Now the man of the hour is taking his final bow. As the curtain comes down. I feel that this is just goodbye for now. 😔
    Very sad news once again... wishing you and your family all the strength needed during this difficult time.
    Peace & Love
    My thoughts are with you, winging their way across the ether East and somewhat North, as you go through this with your family. 
    As always, I wish you and your family the best.  Know that you gave him the gift of more time.