Covers: What covers do you wish they'd try (new)? Which ones do you think they should stop?

Comments

• I liked "Know your rights" in Melbourne 2003.  The first airing.  So different from what you do.  You could sense the adrenaline.  All other versions were hammed up but the first one was insane.  I'd love to see a non-hammed version of it in person.  But I've got to say, all these comments where people are saying no covers, they have a point.  I have so many PJ songs which are favorites that my list couldn't fit within a 3-hour concert.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 72
    I’d like to hear them do Thin Lizzy’s Cowboy song 
  • md281342md281342 Posts: 46
    edited February 2020
    I can never be mad at RITFW,or BABA to end the show... lights on,everyone pumped..i like that opposed to yellowledbetter or indifference as closers. however I never ever ever need to hear comfortably numb,mother,last kiss,or imagine the rest of my life...aint talking bout love is great too..would rather they do river of deceit,wake up,fell on black days,plush..something like that 
    Post edited by md281342 on
  • I would love them to start playing the songs from the bands they used to play for. So many amazing gems...My ideas:

Pushing Forward Back, Wooden Jesus
    Buttercup, The Day Brings, Miles of Rope
    Laced, Solitude
    Wake Up, I Dont Know Anything

• I am so looking forward to a Soundgarden cover someday

• JimmyV said:
    RITFW has been stale for years. I enjoy Baba but would much rather hear a Pearl Jam song in that slot.
    I still like the energy that Baba brings into an arena energy, like Detroit 2014. I can’t remember the last show I went to where people were just LOVING RITFW though. Definitely stale. However I have a feeling that one won’t be going anywhere soon. 
    If Ed throws more Tambo's during it then people will love it.

I'd like to hear More of Fucking Up, Leaving Here, Kids of the 70's, Sonic Reducer.

Less Baba and RITFW, Comfortably numb.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    Mike D88 said:
    Bring back Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
    Posted it before myself. I no longer have to die on this hill alone. Dock of the Bay in the Bay area! LFG
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    A Quick One While He's Away.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    TOTD All Night Thing to close would be my choice.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • I would like to see TotD or Mother Love Bone covers.  
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • SR91748SR91748 Posts: 137
    Not Ready to Make Nice by the Dixie Chicks.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    LC said:
    After this first single, I've been on a big Talking Heads binge this past week.  How about 'Life During Wartime'?
    Big yes on this one. Love that track! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    I'd like to see Baba once with Boom playing the keys the way they sounded in the Who's version and with Ed playing the violin part on harmonica like Roger did when the Who played it live.
  • i'd sure like to hear them do 5 more pearl jam songs every show.  I don't care what Pearl Jam sounds like doing the Who, or Pink Floyd, or Bruce, or Uncle Neil, or the Hip.  I usually buy tickets to them when I want to hear their songs.
  • i'd sure like to hear them do 5 more pearl jam songs every show.  I don't care what Pearl Jam sounds like doing the Who, or Pink Floyd, or Bruce, or Uncle Neil, or the Hip.  I usually buy tickets to them when I want to hear their songs.
    Amen!!!!!
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • The butcher, the banker, Matt Camron and then
  • zmoney2128zmoney2128 Chicago, IL Posts: 26
    rider10 said:
    Bring back 'Let my Love Open the Door."
    100% agree. I love when this comes on the Solider Field bootleg. 
  • Would love for them to bring back "Can't Help Falling in Love" ... I believe it was only played twice (Vegas and Memphis) back in 2000. They also do solid versions of "Waiting on a Friend" and "Picture in a Frame". 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,700
    Today, I was listening to Jim Caroll's "People Who Died". I think that would make a great cover. They can even modify some of the words or create a new verse as a tribute to their own friends. It's also just a great song.
  • id LOVE to hear Ed's voice on "If You Could Read My Mind" Gordon Lightfoot
  • xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138

There are several of their active covers I have yet to hear and would like to, but I'd be happy never hearing RITFW again for sure.

And as an avid Beatles hater, I absolutely hate hearing Beatles covers and their cover of "Imagine".

Just trim a few covers off the setlist, we don't need THAT many unless they're dusting off some old ones.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    I don't have any "pee break" songs, but "Imagine" comes damn close. I would be fine never seeing them play it again. I've only seen them play "Last Kiss" once, and that was plenty for me. Other than that, I don't mind most of the covers.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I’d love to hear PJ try these songs, I think they’d all fit in pretty well:

Soundgarden - Kickstand
    Neil Young - Mr Soul
    Brad - Waters Deep

I agree with those saying 1-2 covers per show max, and I’d be happy if they ditched Baba, Comfortably Numb, and Mother altogether
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • GR42159GR42159 Nashville, TN Posts: 16
    Play these!  

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
    Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy 
    Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop
    R.E.M. - Pretty Persuasion
    R.E.M. - Pop Song 89
    Tom Petty - California (Ed acoustic in Oakland)
    Kings of Leon - Temple 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    bring back Sonic Reducer.

punt RITFW
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2020
    (not a cover) put Last Soldier into regular rotation in Encore 1. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    i would love a full tour with no covers but that's probably unrealistic.  if they are going to do covers i'd love to have them retire the ones they done to this point.  I have some great memories of Baba and RITFW live but enough is enough if i had my choice.

some i'd like to see/hear from PJ:
    What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello
    Box of Rain - Grateful Dead
    Brandy - Looking Glass
    One - U2
    Celluloid Heroes - The Kinks
    In a Big Country - Big Country
    Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
    Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
    Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
    Roundabout - Yes
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    I'm on board with dropping RITFW.

It would be fun to hear them play For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    drop last kiss,ritfw, imagine, baba oreilly. why not play something deep to end the show  why go with the same formula ? that would be very different.  kinda like the idea of pretty persuasion. box of rain would be cool but i don't see them doing it. same for friend of the devil. 
  • pjhawks said:
    i would love a full tour with no covers but that's probably unrealistic.  if they are going to do covers i'd love to have them retire the ones they done to this point.  I have some great memories of Baba and RITFW live but enough is enough if i had my choice.

some i'd like to see/hear from PJ:
    What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding - Elvis Costello
    Box of Rain - Grateful Dead
    Brandy - Looking Glass
    One - U2
    Celluloid Heroes - The Kinks
    In a Big Country - Big Country
    Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce
    Silent Lucidity - Queensryche
    Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
    Roundabout - Yes
    Anyone doing Big Country is all right in my books.  The rest?  Meh.