When closing threads

Could you, moderators, please inform when a thread is closed why it is.

Sometimes a sentence or two about it is included.

But more often than not the threads are just closed without any information on why (which sometimes might be obvious, but sometimes not) or just with a general link to the "posting guidelines" included, which doesn't really serve a purpose if it's not specified what in these guidelines the thread is not living up to.

Would help keeping track on what is happening on the forum.

Thank you.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• No reason given when closing the Whitness-thread in AMT - why?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Have you tried PMing the mods directly? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Can the OP state why this is a technical issue?

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2020
    Well, he has asked this question before. I understand why he would want to know why threads are closed. However, in doing a quick click, I see the OP of the whiteness thread was banned. Clicking further showed that he seemed to possibly be trolling and while I don't care to spend the time to read all of his comments, it seems that the OP of the whiteness thread was kind of deserving of a ban and thread closure. 
    deadendp said:
    Well, he has asked this question before. I understand why he would want to know why threads are closed. However, in doing a quick click, I see the OP of the whiteness thread was banned. Clicking further showed that he seemed to possibly be trolling and while I don't care to spend the time to read all of his comments, it seems that the OP of the whiteness thread was kind of deserving of a ban and thread closure. 
    But...how is this a technical issue?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    deadendp said:
    Technically, he is curious. :smiley: 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    deadendp said:
    An issue, and stuff, and help. 

Why would you or anyone be against it...
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    You're asking about an issue that is not actually public. We do not discuss someone's forum situation with other members. I hope this privacy issue and the information you have so far will suffice. Also, you can understand that it's a Posting Guidelines and TOS issue every time. Thank you for understanding.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2020
    Kat said:
     Also, you can understand that it's a Posting Guidelines and TOS issue every time. 
    From my OP, the bolded:

But more often than not the threads are just closed without any information on why (which sometimes might be obvious, but sometimes not) or just with a general link to the "posting guidelines" included, which doesn't really serve a purpose if it's not specified what in these guidelines the thread is not living up to.

Would help keeping track on what is happening on the forum.

Seems like an unnecessary way to go about it to me when members can't connect a closed thread to what in the wide umbrella that is  the PG/TOS that it goes against. (In cases where it is not connected to a specific members "situation"). Instead of just stating reason for closing. 

So, I actually do not really understand the decision to not specify it when moderating.  

E.g. the case of "whiteness". How would I as a member know if it's the subject that is close-worthy or if it's "an issue that is not actually public" about the topic-starter or something else? 

Can I start a thread on whiteness because there is no "issue that is not actually public" regarding me starting one, or can I not because whiteness as a subject goes against some rule? 

A reason for closing threads going forward would make that a non-issue for members.

But it was just a suggestion for making a forum I pay for better. Do what it what you will.

Thank you for responding.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Kat said:
    You're asking about an issue that is not actually public. We do not discuss someone's forum situation with other members. I hope this privacy issue and the information you have so far will suffice. Also, you can understand that it's a Posting Guidelines and TOS issue every time. Thank you for understanding.
    Thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Technically! - asked and answered.
    hedonist said:
    Technically! - asked and answered.
    Well that's a technicality. I'll have to check the rule book on this one. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    If you wanna be technical about it....