Options

I Wish the Band Would Just Raise Ticket Prices to Market Value

1235»

Comments

• Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 346
    mcgruff10 said:
    Come on peeps, who s buying?  
    NYC or not. $6,000 for a pair of tickets is a lot. Has anyone every bought Vitalogy charity tickets before? Is the market value really face? Meaning you get the deduction for the difference? Forget the fees for a minute. In theory, a pair of these tickets would amount to a deduction of around $5,700?

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    kst said:
    I disagree with all tickets being $500.  I don’t know what the best solution is but surely it isn’t that.

All tickets at $500 is not fair. But charging same price for the front row and roof is not fair either. 
    I’m perplexed. You now want a system where better seats cost more money? Wouldn’t you still be complaining about the “rich white people” in the front row if you weren’t willing to pay the premium? What if those people are just fiscally responsible and have allowed themselves the luxury to splurge every now and then, are they wrong for justifying their decision to do so? I’ve had great seats and I’ve had bad seats, but I don’t judge everybody in the room based on my location. You win some you lose some, it’s called life.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I agree with the original poster.    I would rather all rich people fill up the shows.  Usually makes for a fun atmosphere. 

It’s a Pearl Jam concert. The fan base finally made its way to the 40 and 50 year old demo. Classic  rock saw this 15 years ago. Rich white people will be filling up the shows no matter what.
    I hope I don't see anybody rolling with a shotgun while I'm shopping on Rodeo.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,891
    They really couldn't have done it better than the way they did it. But hey, it wouldn't be the 10C boards if people weren't complaining about stupid crap. 
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    mcgruff10 said:
    NYC or not. $6,000 for a pair of tickets is a lot. Has anyone every bought Vitalogy charity tickets before? Is the market value really face? Meaning you get the deduction for the difference? Forget the fees for a minute. In theory, a pair of these tickets would amount to a deduction of around $5,700?

Well, first of all it depends a lot on the details of the particular taxpayer - whether you’re itemizing or taking the standard deduction. And the TCJA made it a lot more likely that the typical demo that’s likely to be dropping a few grand on East Coast PJ tickets will NOT be itemizing (thanks Donny!). 

But assuming that you are availing yourself of the itemized deduction, it’s a deduction from your gross taxable income, not from your tax bill. So if you have a $5K charitable contribution and you’re paying a marginal tax rate of let’s say 30% (to make the math easy) you’re tax bill will be lowered to the tune of $1,500. 
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 346
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, first of all it depends a lot on the details of the particular taxpayer - whether you’re itemizing or taking the standard deduction. And the TCJA made it a lot more likely that the typical demo that’s likely to be dropping a few grand on East Coast PJ tickets will NOT be itemizing (thanks Donny!). 

But assuming that you are availing yourself of the itemized deduction, it’s a deduction from your gross taxable income, not from your tax bill. So if you have a $5K charitable contribution and you’re paying a marginal tax rate of let’s say 30% (to make the math easy) you’re tax bill will be lowered to the tune of $1,500. 

I get all that. What I want to know is if the market value of the tickets would be $250 (meaning I get the deduction of 6000-250) or do I find out the later that they market value turned out to be something like 1K and the deduction would be lower.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,172
    edited February 2020
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I get all that. What I want to know is if the market value of the tickets would be $250 (meaning I get the deduction of 6000-250) or do I find out the later that they market value turned out to be something like 1K and the deduction would be lower.
    $250. All proceeds over base + fees go to the charity and you get a tax receipt for the charitable contribution portion. 

https://pearljam.com/news/vitalogy-foundation-charity-tickets 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    Jason7192 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Bottom line, if you can spend $500 on a ticket, you would have been wise enough to have held a tenclub member # and applied to get into one of the easy obvious shows to win, ie any show other than Baltimore or MSG, and been willing to travel.

Exactly.  Somehow I have tickets to 8 shows this year so far and all at face value.  7 I got through 10c and one 10c through a friend.  Tickets aren’t scarce unless referring to 1 particular show in NYC (and you can pay $$$ and get in).
    You got seven shows through the lotto on one 10C membership?
    3 Euro shows, 4 US lottery wins (west coast), and then a friend won tickets to a show. 
    I got seven shows on one 10c membership for the U.S. tour.
  • Options
    $500 is a deal for MSG.  My money goes to the band or a reseller what do I care.   
  • Options
    ejk1280 said:
    $500 is a deal for MSG.  My money goes to the band or a reseller what do I care.   
    I'm with you on this one.  Money is money, no matter who it goes to.

• Options
    They don't tour much and I rather pay a lot of money, $500 or more, for pit or good lowers to one show than have no other options to get good tickets.

I wish that they would just let us pick the songs that we think are really good, and play them, and also pick the songs that we think are not really good, and have them skip them.  Like if you pay a certain amount of money, above and beyond the low prices that they are holding for the 10 club.  Like if i was in the 10 club, and I only wanted to see a good show at Oakland 2, but I also had tickets for San Diego, and Los Angeles 1, but I am a person who only likes to hear given To Fly while the sun is still out, or maybe before I switch to beer only, but after I have had 2 or less drinks mixed with alcohol, like real alcohol, not like White Claw, or that stuff, I should be able to hear Ghost, or Undone at Oakland, but I shouldnt also have to listen to like Even Flow, or Corduroy, or some of that garbage.  Can they even make just 1 show for us real pearl jam fans, and not for those guys who don't even like the good songs that we real fans like?
  • Options
    They don't tour much and I rather pay a lot of money, $500 or more, for pit or good lowers to one show than have no other options to get good tickets.

How many more than 3 options would you like the band to make available to you, while also dealing with Ticketmaster?  or did you just mean other options that you didn't suck at?
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    The reason this proposal doesn’t work isn’t economcs. Surely places with high demand like msg could easily get a much higher price per seat, but bands have found that shows can really suck if the first twenty rows are dead. The pit system really helped alot of bands with this scenario and gave some of the most loyal fans a chance to get up close. 

I can’t imagine spending over $200 to see pj unless it was a special event like the apollo or a venue like benaroya hall.

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    The very definition of entitlement. 
    The very definition is "the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."  Expecting cheap tickets and access to good seats is entitlement, asking them to raise the price is the exact opposite.  What a crazy world we live in when people can get something so wrong. Granted, rushing to say "entitlement" is the millennial version of calling someone a Nazi.  I'm shocked you didn't throw a "literally" in there.

If they raise the price on premium seats, they could in theory lower the price for cheaper seats... which in theory should make everyone happy.   We could call it the PJ welfare program.
  • Options
    MG79478 said:
    The very definition is "the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment."  Expecting cheap tickets and access to good seats is entitlement, asking them to raise the price is the exact opposite.  What a crazy world we live in when people can get something so wrong. Granted, rushing to say "entitlement" is the millennial version of calling someone a Nazi.  I'm shocked you didn't throw a "literally" in there.

If they raise the price on premium seats, they could in theory lower the price for cheaper seats... which in theory should make everyone happy.   We could call it the PJ welfare program.
    I know you know this, but for people who can afford it asking them to raise be price IS asking for better access to seats. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    The solution is so simple and obvious. If you own less than 20 posters, 10 t shirts and have seen PJ less than 25 times, you shouldn’t be allowed to see them live. Simple. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    The solution is so simple and obvious. If you own less than 20 posters, 10 t shirts and have seen PJ less than 25 times, you shouldn’t be allowed to see them live. Simple. 
    Works for me
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I see the OP's point and understand the frustration.  Prior to the 2003 tour, 10C members could choose one show per tour for 10C tickets, and for any other show, you needed to compete with the general public.  But the guarantee was that you'd get the best seats, and that was true.  When you could get 10C tickets to multiple shows, then the seating suffered.  And it was, and is still a caste system based on join date.  In 2003, I watched as thousands of people flew in to town and got seats in front of me.  My seats were fair-good and sometimes bad.  Except for the lottery where someone with a low-caste 10C number got to sit in the 1st couple of rows, once a crappy 10C number, always a crappy 10C number, stay in your peanut-gallery section.  I for example have never gotten really good seats.  I joined about 18 years ago.  At LA2, I'll be rear floor and doubt if I'll be able to see.  I'd rather be up in the back by Kobe's jersey than rear floor.  The OP wants to be able to save up, pay up because it is important for him/her to see them up close at least once in their lives.  I would too.  I've thought of buying 10C tickets and Ticketmaster tickets and just using the better ones, leaving the other empty.  That's how bad rear floor is.  So frankly I feel the OP's frustration.  Not sure if big-$$$ is the solution or something else would be.  I like the one show per tour idea.  That feels like a 'club'.  Exclusive, good seats, etc.  Would reduce people flying in and pushing me back.  
    I joined 22 years ago and usually get pretty good seats. I wouldn’t think ; years makes that big of a difference.
    Even for stadium shows I was center stage about 15 rows back from the pit. Which looking behind me and see how far back everyone else was I though they were great seats.
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m guessing anyone who can and will pay 6 grand for a pair of tickets won’t be taking standard deductions.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

$250. All proceeds over base + fees go to the charity and you get a tax receipt for the charitable contribution portion. 

Can I write off Girl Scout cookies? They stand in front of the store and sell them for $5 a box. But I can go inside and buy the Nabisco version for $2. I should really be writing off $3 for every box of Girl Scout cookies I buy!
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,172
    mace1229 said:
    SHZA said:
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Can I write off Girl Scout cookies? They stand in front of the store and sell them for $5 a box. But I can go inside and buy the Nabisco version for $2. I should really be writing off $3 for every box of Girl Scout cookies I buy!
    The Nabisco are an inferior imitation -- a box of authentic Thin Mints are an incredible value at $5
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    are you for real? that would really hurt a number of their true fans . this is one of the most ridiculous statements i have ever read here. no make it the most. i have been forced to forgo many shows due to exactly what you are requesting for many other bands. to take my wife get a sitter adds up to over 500.00 a show. we just don't do it.  yes there are those that will pay, as someone mentioned buy the vitology tickets. you seem to be in a bracket that can take advantage of the receipt. if they ever raised ticket prices like that that is where they would jump the shark. it would kill a lot of their other merch sales etc. not a good business plan at this point. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I feel like much of this fanbase has become more obsessed with "being as close to the band as possible" than actually going to the show.  You know they play the same concert no matter where you seat is, right?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I’m guessing anyone who can and will pay 6 grand for a pair of tickets won’t be taking standard deductions.
    You might be surprised, especially in the post-TJCA era. 
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    I feel like much of this fanbase has become more obsessed with "being as close to the band as possible" than actually going to the show.  You know they play the same concert no matter where you seat is, right?
    While true, I’ve been in the nosebleeds and also 30 ft from the band. I’d take up close as the energy feels so much different. I think the railbirds are a bit ridiculous, but I get the appeal of being close
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    And that's why I posted that Charlie Sheen meme. It's not about the music & the vibe seems to be about "winning, duh". I've seen it in 3 different band's fanbases that I follow closely. Pissing matches over petty bullshit.  It isn't a competition.  I always eventually just go back to being a solitary fan because that kind of attitude has always grossed me out. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    Worst idea I’ve seen on here in a long time. 
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    tdawe said:
    MG79478 said:

I know you know this, but for people who can afford it asking them to raise be price IS asking for better access to seats. 
    I know you know this, but you missed the point entirely.  See the text you put in bold... access to "good" seats, not access to seats in general.  It is entitlement for people to expect tickets to not only be cheap, but for them to also have access (via a lottery) to "good" seats.  Asking them to raise the prices for "good" seats is not entitlement, it's asking to pay more to receive more.  Since "good" seats are extremely limited, it doesn't have any appreciable impact on general access to seats. Also, EVERYONE would have access to all seats, regardless of the price.