Options

Songwriters - Who are your main influences?

Feeling a little reminiscent & a tinge of nostalgia this afternoon after listening to Neil Young's "On The Beach" album. I was thinking about all the artist that have influenced/inspired me over the years. Dave Matthews, PJ, Jimmy Page, Jerry Cantrell, Neil Young, Keith Richards & Bob Dylan are probably my biggest influences with my songwriting.

I'm sure there's a couple more, but these are the bands/artists that really taught me how to play and who I was mainly listening to when I wrote a lot of my first group of songs. I've not written anything in a bit, but am about to pick my 2 Alvarez guitars (tuned differently of course) back up and try to bang some new songs out. 

Just wondering who influenced some of the other songwriters here? 
"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 

Comments

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Eddie Vedder, Jeff Tweedy, Elliott Smith, Jason Isbell, Neil Young, Trent Reznor, Josh Homme, Chris Cornell, Thom Yorke, Stephen Malkmus, Michael Stipe, Joe Strummer, j. Mascis, Robert Pollard, Wayne Coyne, Roger Waters, Robert Smith, David Byrne, Thurston Moore, Pete Townshend, Lennon/McCartney, Ben Harper, Jimmy Page, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan...
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    Jessica Simpson. Katy Perry. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Yeah, just try to find a point of relation and the smartasses have to come out, huh?
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    edited February 2020
    I'm serious. Not that I like them, but they inspire me to write about what I feel is wrong with the music industry. 

Not trying to be a smart ass at all.

Edited to add: If I focus on the songwriting of any artist I listen to, I end up writing songs that sound like them. The goal I have set for myself is to take inspiration from everything but songwriters I like.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    John Martyn.