Options

I Wish the Band Would Just Raise Ticket Prices to Market Value

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Hell no. I would rather miss 20 shows because of bad luck and great prices than be forced to pay 500 to get in the building. 

To about a quarter of the country there never is such a thing as great prices for a majority of the fans. 

Either you pay to travel, pay the scalpers, or pay front row prices to sit on the ceiling. Or win a lottery once a decade if you're lucky.
  • Options
    Hell no. I would rather miss 20 shows because of bad luck and great prices than be forced to pay 500 to get in the building. 

To about a quarter of the country there never is such a thing as great prices for a majority of the fans. 

Either you pay to travel, pay the scalpers, or pay front row prices to sit on the ceiling. Or win a lottery once a decade if you're lucky.
    Great prices is just in comparison to the $500 floated here. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    There is no way I will ever be able to pay $500 to go and see any show. Things are what they are with the prices, we just get on with it nowadays.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options

If you play the lottery right, you win well more often than once a decade. If you are insistent on only hitting shows in NYC, that's the chance you take. 
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by guitar101 on
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 897
    Play more shows. The band wouldn’t have outrageous demand if they actually toured. 
  • Options

If you play the lottery right, you win well more often than once a decade. If you are insistent on only hitting shows in NYC, that's the chance you take. 

The context is great prices.

Even if I had the availability to take a few days to travel whenever a tour drops, that costs hundreds of dollars to travel plus the value of the days taken. That's very expensive. I've done and enjoyed it, but it comes at a steep cost.  

They love their small markets, I get that. They like to rattle off from the stage all the small cities they have played over the years..

But that brings winners and losers. If you live among the masses, a fair face value ticket without spending huge amounts of money is not a realistic occurence.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    You know their plan is working when there's an uptick in the number of people used to buying their way up front going full Veruca Salt
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Obviously not a popular thought.  $500 makes the good seats a luxury item and not a “10C low number” or “lucky on ticketmaster” thing.  

Lots of bands/pop singers do this.  PJ certainly could do this with their popularity and with their fanbase being at an age where financial security is there.  Im against it tho.  Removes a lot of the fun.  
  • Options

Even if I had the availability to take a few days to travel whenever a tour drops, that costs hundreds of dollars to travel plus the value of the days taken. That's very expensive. I've done and enjoyed it, but it comes at a steep cost.  

They love their small markets, I get that. They like to rattle off from the stage all the small cities they have played over the years..

But that brings winners and losers. If you live among the masses, a fair face value ticket without spending huge amounts of money is not a realistic occurence.
    Since they never come to Louisville KY, my only choice to travel to see them. That's the fact for a lot of folks. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited February 2020
    If people want to be really close at a PJ show then either try for GA and go for the rail or go to a festival appearance and claim your spot at 11am (or buy VIP+ or whatever the festival sells).  At some festivals you can almost be on stage with the highest VIP ticket.  Just try for that.  

$500 good seats for regular arena shows is pretty silly. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    They haven't been in Ireland for a decade, so we travel to see them. If I don't want to go and see them, I won't spend the money. That's just business.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    tdawe said:
    Those of us who can afford $500 concert tickets can also afford to take some Ls every now and then.
    I want to give this cat a trophy for seemingly being the most sensible person on the forum. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options

Sucks when you can't have what you want.

• Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    KN219077 said:
    Play more shows. The band wouldn’t have outrageous demand if they actually toured. 
    This keeps getting suggested. It's not a real thing. New album aside, for all intents and purposes, the band is semi-retired. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Clapper said:
    KN219077 said:
    This keeps getting suggested. It's not a real thing. New album aside, for all intents and purposes, the band is semi-retired. 
    I agree. I'm just thankful they are still alive, still together, and still playing shows at all. There are plenty of bands that aren't. People have no sense of gratitude or perspective. I'd love a summer DMB style tour, don't get me wrong, but I'm thankful as hell for the chance to see them in Baltimore this spring. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Well, this is getting filed as Pearl Jam Hot Take #2   

#1- Saw a thread on Reddit the other day titled:  "Old heads should stop going to shows" :rofl:
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    The obvious solution is 50+ shows per year... but that ain’t happening. 
    this is a truism.  when they toured in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 if you wanted to get in a show at face value you would have to try real hard to pay more than face. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Jason7192 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Bottom line, if you can spend $500 on a ticket, you would have been wise enough to have held a tenclub member # and applied to get into one of the easy obvious shows to win, ie any show other than Baltimore or MSG, and been willing to travel.

Exactly.  Somehow I have tickets to 8 shows this year so far and all at face value.  7 I got through 10c and one 10c through a friend.  Tickets aren’t scarce unless referring to 1 particular show in NYC (and you can pay $$$ and get in).
    You got seven shows through the lotto on one 10C membership?
    3 Euro shows, 4 US lottery wins (west coast), and then a friend won tickets to a show. 
  • Options
    Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    Jason7192 said:
    PB11041 said:
    Bottom line, if you can spend $500 on a ticket, you would have been wise enough to have held a tenclub member # and applied to get into one of the easy obvious shows to win, ie any show other than Baltimore or MSG, and been willing to travel.

Exactly.  Somehow I have tickets to 8 shows this year so far and all at face value.  7 I got through 10c and one 10c through a friend.  Tickets aren’t scarce unless referring to 1 particular show in NYC (and you can pay $$$ and get in).
    You got seven shows through the lotto on one 10C membership?
    3 Euro shows, 4 US lottery wins (west coast), and then a friend won tickets to a show. 
    Ah, I see. I wasn't considering the success of scoring tix to Euro shows in the context of this discussion since it was a separate lottery. Enjoy your shows!
  • Options
    Any lottery that I have ever taken part in, I have been successful. Granted, I think that may only be 2, but still, you just have to try and hope for the best. Where there's a will there's a way. I always knew if I was unsuccessful that I would find a way to get to the shows by hook or by crook.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765

you can't be freaking serious when you say this, there is nowhere they cater more to than large cities since 2008.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    If they catered to small markets, I sure wouldn't be opposed to them returning to Ireland, and what's more, playing a show outside of our capital.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    PB11041 said:

you can't be freaking serious when you say this, there is nowhere they cater more to than large cities since 2008.  

I can't ever recall hearing them "rattle off from the stage all the small cities they've played over the years" even once, let alone enough times for me to think that they like doing it.

• Options
    The closest I have ever seen them come to doing something like that is when they maybe reminisce briefly about the first time they came to the city or the country that they're in. But most of the time I find that to be a welcome nostalgia trip, and am always impressed by what they remember.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 543
    Just love it when being luckier and smarter in choosing is kicking the shit out of those that think money is so important. Never have and probably never will see pj play where I live, Abq. Should I cry or bitch? No. I get off my poor ass and travel at minimum 7 hours driving. So these complainers are not only rich, but really, really lazy. They appear to need to be spoon fed everything and don't understand sacrifice.  If pj could have done it this way from the start, they would have. Our band wants us to see them play. Most bands don't give a fuck who is in the audience as long as they get paid.
    VERY GRATEFUL AND FAITHFUL!
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,828
    PB11041 said:

Oh, come on, just 2 years ago they played the downright miniscule markets of Seattle, Chicago, and Boston. No, wait, that's not right... Surely, they played small venues, right? Hmmm...
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Dear God...this is going to end with another debate about what "The City" means.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896

I can't ever recall hearing them "rattle off from the stage all the small cities they've played over the years" even once, let alone enough times for me to think that they like doing it.

The only thing I can think of even remotely close would be Ed saying a bunch of small Mass cities that he knows before Small Town in Boston in 2010. 
    At most he'll talk about smaller venues they've played over the years in that particular city/state.
  • Options

Since they never come to Louisville KY, my only choice to travel to see them. That's the fact for a lot of folks. 

Comparatively the most shows NY ever got was 0.3 This tour is a rounding error lower at 0.1

But they always round down to zero shows unless they play 5 here. Being ten times the size as the average city they play in, it's a fact of life the first 30 years of their career.

But my point was low cost. In this region that almost never happens.