Options

Thoughts on why 2nd single released so early?

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if I’m missing something. Am I wrong that this isn’t typically normal for PJ or any band to release a 2nd single this fast. I mean the album hasn’t even been released yet. So in my mind this is a sign that DOTC is admittedly a flop in their mind or maybe this is something new bands do now days and I’m just old. I wouldn’t think PJ would care if a song was a hit that they had to rush out a 2nd single again maybe I’m wrong. Either way I’m loving me some SBWM more and more after every listen. 

Comments

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 899
    All the old ways of doing things are gone. I miss the old days of a few evenly spaced singles from an album being released.
  • Options
    poisonpoison Posts: 54
    Something doesn’t add up regarding releasing a new single this fast. I’m sure others have their opinions I’d love to hear
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,469
    People have short attention spans today. If you release a single 2 years before the album comes out, they wont remember it. :)

If you do it like this, it keeps the momentum going.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    It allows them to uniquely promote each song using new apps providing buzz to each track they release over a long period of time, rather than dumping everything to Spotify at once, and getting a weekend worth of news like Eminem just did. Face it, it's not like there are radio stations that would play these singles, as they don't fit a typical format. Green Day gets on new rock alternative channels, but Pearl Jam may only get on hard rock stations, and that's usually going to be songs from Ten. 
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 789
    Also gets more new music out before the tour starts....in 4 weeks! 😁
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Options
    I don't think this release is a reaction to the reception of DOTC (which I also can't stop playing).  If I remember, a website (maybe pearljamonline) listed release dates for DOTC and SBWM at the same time.  I think they had it listed for 2/21 not 2/18 but darn close.  This appears to be part of the plan all along.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    This is the way things are done now.  "Singles" aren't the same as they used to be.  Regardless of the promotional approach, for an act like Pearl Jam in 2020, it's not going to make much of a difference.  They cannot get mainstream radio play-- there is literally not a single rock song on the current Billboard Hot 100-- and streams for these songs will be and have been minimal for a band this well-known.  (All four official versions of the video for "Dance Of The Clairvoyants" have totaled 5.8 million combined views after three weeks.  By way of comparison, a single version of Billie Eilish's top 10 pop song (and number one alternative song) "Everything I Wanted," released at about the same time, has 44 million YouTube views in three weeks.) 

The album will debut in the top 5 on the strength of first-week sales to diehard fans and then it will plummet because the fan base beyond the diehards is hollowed out and there won't be significant streaming.  (And there's no way to track the repeated listens by the 100,000 people who buy the album the first week.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    This is the way things are done now.  "Singles" aren't the same as they used to be.  Regardless of the promotional approach, for an act like Pearl Jam in 2020, it's not going to make much of a difference.  They cannot get mainstream radio play-- there is literally not a single rock song on the current Billboard Hot 100-- and streams for these songs will be and have been minimal for a band this well-known.  (All four official versions of the video for "Dance Of The Clairvoyants" have totaled 5.8 million combined views after three weeks.  By way of comparison, a single version of Billie Eilish's top 10 pop song (and number one alternative song) "Everything I Wanted," released at about the same time, has 44 million YouTube views in three weeks.) 

The album will debut in the top 5 on the strength of first-week sales to diehard fans and then it will plummet because the fan base beyond the diehards is hollowed out and there won't be significant streaming.  (And there's no way to track the repeated listens by the 100,000 people who buy the album the first week.)
    Glad I live in Australia, both Dance a SBWM were played and discussed on mainstream national radio shows here within 15 mins of them being released! Have Heard dance on the radio everyday since it was released.
  • Options
    dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    DOTC was released four weeks ago. There is nothing unusual about releasing one single per month. It's a standard practice and all bands/artists do it.
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    They want to sell some albums this time around.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,865
    Pretty sure SBWM was announced (or at least heavily rumored) as dropping this week before DOTC even came out. So, unless the band thought DOTC was going to flop before they released it, I don't think the timing of the 2nd single has anything to do with the success/failure of the 1st.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Seems like this could be the new norm for some bands? Both Metallica and RHCP released 3 songs before their latest albums came out back in 2016. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Totally normal to release 2 - 3 songs from a new album to build hype for the actual release.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,937
    God remember when releasing a single 3-4 months before a release was the norm and then you'd get another like a week or 2 out from the album? 

Old release cycles were so stupid. While I'd like shit to just surprise drop more, decreasing the build up to 2ish months is way more reasonable.

• Options
    Pretty sure the new Strokes was announced last week and they’ve already dropped two singles for it. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    Vedd Hedd said:
    People have short attention spans today. If you release a single 2 years before the album comes out, they wont remember it. :)

If you do it like this, it keeps the momentum going.

It's true, I'm trying to forget "Can't Deny Me".

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    I dont think its unusual at all these days to be honest.  Also, it was clearly in the initial promotional plan for the start, so I doubt it was any sort of response to the lackluster performance of DOTC.  I kind of doubt they expected DOTC to be a radio hit. 
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited February 2020
    Yeah just a new way of doing it. In the old days, usually the second single didn't come out until after the album, and the only reason to grab it was for the b-sides or just to collect them. And I would actually do that: like run down to the store the day the Wishlist single was released for "U" and a live version of "Brain of J"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Its a good thing. At the Pittsburgh show in 2013, no one knew most of the new songs and it showed. A great crowd, but it would have been even better if people had heard the new songs. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    IDK if anyone has said this yet, but the music industry does things differently now. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    I don't think it has anything to do with DOTC or whatever we're calling it.    With all the odd marketing stuff they've been doing for this album it's obvious they're doing it however they want.   Not only has the industry changed completely since the 1990's and 2000's......it's changed even more since their last album release.         
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I was thinking this earlier today, like what is up with the rapid release of the singles?  The commercial end of music is so wide open right now.  I have a feeling many music radio stations will die within the next five to ten years and the old model will be gone.  

I'm so unaware of how business is done in the music now.  But PJ also isn't really on the cutting edge of anything either, so who knows.

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Will we get a third single before the album? 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Big Wreck (canadian band) released 3 singles prior to album release. About the same amount of time in between as this. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jesselms said:
    Will we get a third single before the album? 
    Most likely. We still have another month to go.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    I was thinking this earlier today, like what is up with the rapid release of the singles?  The commercial end of music is so wide open right now.  I have a feeling many music radio stations will die within the next five to ten years and the old model will be gone.  

I'm so unaware of how business is done in the music now.  But PJ also isn't really on the cutting edge of anything either, so who knows.

I don't get it either.   I like Greta Van Fleet and they put out something like 5 songs before their last album dropped.  It felt like half the album.

Radio seems to look more in the rearview than forward.   I guess it's about social media?  Having people you are into your stuff sharing the youtube links and getting the word out there that it's coming out.   

Generally I think at this point people who buy albums are going to buy the album.  You just have to get them to know it's going out.  Releasing a bunch of singles probably generates a bunch of extra streaming revenue or ticket sales.  Or it's free advertising.....  I don't know really... All I know is excessive singles is now a thing.    I'm not sure how common it is to release them after album drops now?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Zod said:

I don't get it either.   I like Greta Van Fleet and they put out something like 5 songs before their last album dropped.  It felt like half the album.

Radio seems to look more in the rearview than forward.   I guess it's about social media?  Having people you are into your stuff sharing the youtube links and getting the word out there that it's coming out.   

Generally I think at this point people who buy albums are going to buy the album.  You just have to get them to know it's going out.  Releasing a bunch of singles probably generates a bunch of extra streaming revenue or ticket sales.  Or it's free advertising.....  I don't know really... All I know is excessive singles is now a thing.    I'm not sure how common it is to release them after album drops now?
    i've thought this for a while. it bugs me that I end up "having" to buy the singles and then the album later. it's my own fault, I don't really stream, I buy music. I buy the singles as they come out. if it's something I also buy physical copies of (fave bands and canadian bands), then I'm buying duplicates. however, I don't really mind giving canadian artists that slight boost, however small it may be. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com