GA Advice: Rail

Hey PJ Faithful - So I scored a GA ticket for the 4/9 show at Denver and this will be my first PJ show, can't even begin to express how stoked I am for this. With that said, I need any and all advice or tips for how to secure a spot on the rail: e.g. when to line up, any process for admitting GA'ers (if there is one so I'm aware in advance), rush when they open doors or if its an organized process, suggestions waiting in line solo since I'll be going by myself, etc. Yes, I've read a million posts about people securing a few rows back from rail or even in the back of the pit and saying it's a blast since it's still close. But as a first-time-goer I've got to do it big and get the full PJ effect and shoot for the rail. 

Has anyone done GA at Denver in the past for a show? Let me know, thanks in advance!

Comments

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited February 2020
    Get catheterized

• If you get a number on your hand now you should be ok.  
  • bcs215bcs215 Posts: 16
    rollings said:
    Get catheterized
    Ah yes, the good ole catheter trick that's on my list right after my ostomy procedure
    bcs215 said:
    rollings said:
    Get catheterized
    Ah yes, the good ole catheter trick that's on my list right after my ostomy procedure
    That's a little extreme
    If you get a number on your hand now you should be ok.  
    Just write "1" on your hand before you go
    If you get a number on your hand now you should be ok.  
    All jokes aside, do people really do such a thing so that I'll know it's just a hoax? I saw PJ released a statement saying something about how initiatives like this will not be tolerated and member status could be revoked or something like that, could be misquoting but something along those lines
  • prljmr316prljmr316 Denver, CO Posts: 162
    bcs215 said:
    Hey PJ Faithful - So I scored a GA ticket for the 4/9 show at Denver and this will be my first PJ show, can't even begin to express how stoked I am for this. With that said, I need any and all advice or tips for how to secure a spot on the rail: e.g. when to line up, any process for admitting GA'ers (if there is one so I'm aware in advance), rush when they open doors or if its an organized process, suggestions waiting in line solo since I'll be going by myself, etc. Yes, I've read a million posts about people securing a few rows back from rail or even in the back of the pit and saying it's a blast since it's still close. But as a first-time-goer I've got to do it big and get the full PJ effect and shoot for the rail. 

Has anyone done GA at Denver in the past for a show? Let me know, thanks in advance!
    My one and only pit ticket for Pearl Jam was at Pepsi in Denver2014. I was hoping to get close to rail as possible, but didn't do any planning or researching these threads to see what that entailed. I figured I would get there early, or what I thought was early around 10am. There was already approximately 200-300 people in line at 10am. There was also a 2nd line with about the same amount of people for the outdoor merch tent at 10am as well. I figured I blew my chance at rail, so decided to get in the merch line instead, which was a good choice as by the time I got to the counter, Denver shirts were already sold out, and I literally got the last poster, the display one hung on the wall! This was all before 1pm I would say. After merch, I got back in the GA line and waited by myself until my friend arrived around 6:30pm. The GA line was let in roughly a half hour before the other main lines! Despite blowing my chance at rail, I was still able to rush in and get approximately 3-5 rows back on Mike's side, almost got a guitar pick, but event staff stole it right out from under me, jerk. Lol! If you want rail, it might be wise to get there the night before though. Been to plenty of shows, but never seen a more dedicated fan base than Pearl Jam's, willing to wait days in line for merch and rail. I read about secret lists and numbering systems for those in the front of the GA line, but personally never got close enough to see if that was really a thing or not? Haha! Not supposed to have been I have read, but a rail die hard could probably answer this question better than I. I did notice some of the first in the GA line had camping chairs etc to help wait out the day. People were really friendly in line, and would hold your spot for a few if you need to use the restroom, just don't abuse it and expect to get back in the same spot after being gone for hours doing other shit, not involving a piss break! Overall great people and conversations to help pass the hours in line!  Finally a side note and question of my own, I remember a man near the front of the GA line in 2014 that looked very similar to Mike, almost like impersonator like similarities, does anyone know if Mike has a twin brother, or a brother close in age and appearance, never did research that, and have wondered since, or was it just an odd coincidence maybe? Anyone know? Haha!
    John Strohmeyer
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited February 2020
    No number/list system is official. There's a few fans out of Eastern Europe who normally don't seem to travel to the USA who claim to be with the band/10C and have been given authorization to run such a system, but they're full of it.

Get there early...like the day before. Make friends with people around you. You're allowed QUICK breaks for food/bathroom. Get food "to go" or even delivered. If you leave the line for a quick break, your neighbors will let you back in, the same as you'd allow them.

This "quick break" thing seems to be disagreed on. This doesn't mean 2-3 hours to the hotel to nap/shower. It means 15-20 minutes every few hours. Yes, if your accommodations are close, as could be done. Don't be that person who disappears at 1pm and comes back at 4pm.

Get a hotel or park a car very close to the venue so you can dump your chairs and blankets before the doors open.

I'd highly suggest a bathroom break 1-2 hours before the doors open. Try to avoid that bathroom break during the show. The fans are supposed to let you back to your spot, but it's not guaranteed.

Once the doors open, it's a peaceful walk to the front. No running. In 2014, an email was sent to warn runners they'd be pulled to the back of the line.

If you have a portable battery charger for your phone, good idea. If not, I'd recommend turning the phone on quick every few hours for emergency purposes. But again, if you can do that 15-20 minute break with a plug, so be it.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    prljmr316 said:
    bcs215 said:

My one and only pit ticket for Pearl Jam was at Pepsi in Denver2014. I was hoping to get close to rail as possible, but didn't do any planning or researching these threads to see what that entailed. I figured I would get there early, or what I thought was early around 10am. There was already approximately 200-300 people in line at 10am. There was also a 2nd line with about the same amount of people for the outdoor merch tent at 10am as well. I figured I blew my chance at rail, so decided to get in the merch line instead, which was a good choice as by the time I got to the counter, Denver shirts were already sold out, and I literally got the last poster, the display one hung on the wall! This was all before 1pm I would say. After merch, I got back in the GA line and waited by myself until my friend arrived around 6:30pm. The GA line was let in roughly a half hour before the other main lines! Despite blowing my chance at rail, I was still able to rush in and get approximately 3-5 rows back on Mike's side, almost got a guitar pick, but event staff stole it right out from under me, jerk. Lol! If you want rail, it might be wise to get there the night before though. Been to plenty of shows, but never seen a more dedicated fan base than Pearl Jam's, willing to wait days in line for merch and rail. I read about secret lists and numbering systems for those in the front of the GA line, but personally never got close enough to see if that was really a thing or not? Haha! Not supposed to have been I have read, but a rail die hard could probably answer this question better than I. I did notice some of the first in the GA line had camping chairs etc to help wait out the day. People were really friendly in line, and would hold your spot for a few if you need to use the restroom, just don't abuse it and expect to get back in the same spot after being gone for hours doing other shit, not involving a piss break! Overall great people and conversations to help pass the hours in line!  Finally a side note and question of my own, I remember a man near the front of the GA line in 2014 that looked very similar to Mike, almost like impersonator like similarities, does anyone know if Mike has a twin brother, or a brother close in age and appearance, never did research that, and have wondered since, or was it just an odd coincidence maybe? Anyone know? Haha!
    This post is a good summation of why I never mess around with PJ merch lines or trying to get to the front of the pit. Life is too short. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Solar charger.... great for outdoor activities.  Waka Waka is a good one
    No number/list system is official. There's a few fans out of Eastern Europe who normally don't seem to travel to the USA who claim to be with the band/10C and have been given authorization to run such a system, but they're full of it.

Get there early...like the day before. Make friends with people around you. You're allowed QUICK breaks for food/bathroom. Get food "to go" or even delivered. If you leave the line for a quick break, your neighbors will let you back in, the same as you'd allow them.

This "quick break" thing seems to be disagreed on. This doesn't mean 2-3 hours to the hotel to nap/shower. It means 15-20 minutes every few hours. Yes, if your accommodations are close, as could be done. Don't be that person who disappears at 1pm and comes back at 4pm.

Get a hotel or park a car very close to the venue so you can dump your chairs and blankets before the doors open.

I'd highly suggest a bathroom break 1-2 hours before the doors open. Try to avoid that bathroom break during the show. The fans are supposed to let you back to your spot, but it's not guaranteed.

Once the doors open, it's a peaceful walk to the front. No running. In 2014, an email was sent to warn runners they'd be pulled to the back of the line.

If you have a portable battery charger for your phone, good idea. If not, I'd recommend turning the phone on quick every few hours for emergency purposes. But again, if you can do that 15-20 minute break with a plug, so be it.
    Thanks for the tips! For the part you mentioned about a peaceful walk to the front when the doors open, is it a predetermined path that security/ushers walk with the front of the line and guide the crew to the pit or is it the type of scene where security is scarcely placed throughout the arena and just monitor people as they make their way to the pit whichever route they choose?
    prljmr316 said:
    bcs215 said:

I stand corrected. I suppose I was kind of in another PJ pit in Telluride 2016, but it was a pit full with camping chairs, blankets, tarps, coolers, a lot of little kids, etc. to unknowingly trip over. Lol! Fun but a bit hazardous, not due to a violent nosh pit or crowd stuffing though. Lol!
    The Denver 2014 pit seemed pretty mellow, I got packed in pretty tight near the front as the night progressed. About halfway through the show I relocated towards the back of the pit for more room and fresher air, but the view was still great even in the back of the pit.
    John Strohmeyer
    bcs215 said:

Thanks for the tips! For the part you mentioned about a peaceful walk to the front when the doors open, is it a predetermined path that security/ushers walk with the front of the line and guide the crew to the pit or is it the type of scene where security is scarcely placed throughout the arena and just monitor people as they make their way to the pit whichever route they choose?
    Upon entry I said I rushed which I did, but that meant a fast walk, not a run, as others stated or safety reasons. There are 3 ways onto the floor If I recall correctly, and a check at each entry to keep out non GA ticket holders. So rush, is only as fast as those checks. The 3 paths to the floor are as such 2 are up the stairs/escalators to level one, and there is access on each side of level one, heading down the stairs and onto the floor. Or the path I would probably recommend, (although I may be wrong on this, not sure really) is to make a hard left once through the doors and security, and down a hallway directly to the back of the floor, no up and down stairs this way as you are already on floor level upon entering. It is a somewhat hidden path that may not be obvious as it looks like it could maybe just lead to some offices or something, but is in fact a floor entry hallway with one beer concession along the hallway! The entny ushers will surely guide you if you need help locating any of the floor access routes, not quite sure on the section areas for the level one entry points though, I need to look at the seating charts. Midway point on each side though. Hope that helps everyone for a speedier entry. I missed out on GA this time, but after turning 40 last year, and the pain of aging, a level one reserved ticket is perfect I am thinking now. To all the GA ticket holders, enjoy, it may be your only GA experience as it gets harder to score those lucky tickets with every passing year.
    John Strohmeyer
    For a bit of clarity and reference:

Floor entry paths are between sec's 124 & 126, 102 & 148, and the ground level hallway between 108 &106.

Venue entry doors are roughly ground level below sec's 310 & 312.

Which entry path is quickest may entirely be a crap shoot, the hallway is the least distance, but may in fact be the most crowded, Idk! Also the floor reserved folks will be in these lines as well. Do the floor reserved folks line up with the GA folks, or do they wait with the rest of the reserved to enter at the same time as them upon venue entry?

John Strohmeyer
    Also if in the front of the GA line, does event staff run like an orderly, single file line to the floor paths, or do they just kind of let you loose, point you in the general direction and remind you not to run?
    John Strohmeyer
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    prljmr316 said:
    Also if in the front of the GA line, does event staff run like an orderly, single file line to the floor paths, or do they just kind of let you loose, point you in the general direction and remind you not to run?

That is how I've seen it the few times I've tried to get near front.   Usually one or two paths to get down to the floor. 
    prljmr316 said:

That is how I've seen it the few times I've tried to get near front.   Usually one or two paths to get down to the floor. 
    Was it an orderly, lead line to each path, or a let loose don't run experience? I was hundreds of spots back in line, so no idea on the front, by the time I got in I actually jumped out of the GA line, and got in the main doors because the GA line was moving slower to actually get in the venue at that point. Haha! I know the venue pretty well, just not the, front of the line experience.
    John Strohmeyer
    prljmr316 said:

Floor entry paths are between sec's 124 & 126, 102 & 148, and the ground level hallway between 108 &106.

Which entry path is quickest may entirely be a crap shoot, the hallway is the least distance, but may in fact be the most crowded, Idk! Also the floor reserved folks will be in these lines as well. Do the floor reserved folks line up with the GA folks, or do they wait with the rest of the reserved to enter at the same time as them upon venue entry?

Huge details 316, thanks for sharing. This was a question of mine in regards to this venue, now that I know my options I'll try to strategize some game plan with this info. Also for the hallway between 106 & 108, is it ground floor such that only GA can enter or is it above ground floor so everyone can access it?
    Some more venue advice,
    avoid the concessions and restrooms near the main stairs and escalators, typically much longer lines and bottlenecks, walk another 100 feet or so down the concourse and you will typically find much shorter lines, if any lines at all. The merch stands are near the escalators as well, so it is a high traffic area to avoid if possible.

Also there is another not quite so obvious elevator in the sec 376 area of the building with the quickest access to the outdoor smoking area should you need it.
    John Strohmeyer
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited February 2020
    From what I've seen, it's a line of people going in. It's definitely a quick walk with staff pointing the way, but it's not like a marathon or a 100-yd sprint.

There may be multiple ways down to the floor once the main doors open, but I'd expect there to be one line of people all following the same path for the early entry.

And yes, 10C says "no early entry" but it's usually that the "pit line" does get to go in a bit before main doors.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    bcs215 said:
    prljmr316 said:

Huge details 316, thanks for sharing. This was a question of mine in regards to this venue, now that I know my options I'll try to strategize some game plan with this info. Also for the hallway between 106 & 108, is it ground floor such that only GA can enter or is it above ground floor so everyone can access it?
    The hallway is for GA & floor reserved only, truly ground level in that regard.They will deny entry for all other ticket holders if not at the hallway entrance, definitely as it spills onto the floor, all level 1, 2, & 3 holders really have no reason to go down that hallway, it will be a dead end if they somehow even get in the hallway to begin with, the one small concession in the hallway is typically pretty busy, yet only for the floor reserved and GA, so your not battling the rest of the arena, and no stairs for the tipsy.
    John Strohmeyer
    Glad to be able to help with what I can. I am just sitting here vegetating and smoking some flower, getting in some relaxation and fell down this thread. Sorry I am not to familiar with the front of the line and rail.

As far as smoking in Pepsi, while it is illegal,  weed is generally accepted, and it does become a really clam baked oversized Pepsi Can when Pearl Jam plays. Just be courteous of your non approving neighbors and health conscious, and be on the lookout for the occasional authoritarian event staff on a power trip, keep it on the down low, and with the lights down you should be alright. Don't even try to light a cigarette in there though, go outside in the corral or you will likely get tossed. Haha! Have fun all!
    John Strohmeyer