New LP price is way too expensive

Comments

• mace1229 said:
    I could write a whole page about all the horrors that went on with our first kid. The placenta falling to the floor would haven't even have been worth mentioning. 
    Next time at home?
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    School is free in here, and we've been in the streets every 4 years in order to keep to it free for anyone.

School is expensive in some other countries.. and we get more students from those country moving here for school.

You have the right to complain, which does not mean you will start a fight for it. 

I personally think 44 Canadian dollars for 2 LPs is expensive.. And I know I am right... although I will still buy it. 

If you're not happy with my opnion, just buy it, pay the price and life goes on. Tomorrow it will be another 5$ more and you will pay it again without complains.. Thats how it work I guess ! 

What? School? Streets?

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Came here for the complaints about PJ dot com charging $12 to ship the record.

Maybe I'm early...?
    Ha, that's my complaint, but I am mostly done bitching about shipping. Instead, I just don't order from 10c unless it is something exclusive. I ordered Gigaton from Amazon, so I immediately saved $12 (the silly shipping charge), I'll likely get the record sooner since 10c loves to send their shipments via Mail Innovations on a tour of the surrounding counties and states, and I'll also get the digital files in my Amazon library on release day. Not sure why I'd want to order it from 10c.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    One of my favorite things about this whole forum is the amount of people complaining about others who complain, and tell them to keep their opinions to themselves if they want to complain. DO they not see the irony in that? Its on almost every thread, so I'm guessing they really don't.
    Do you mind if I complain about you complaining about people who complain about people complaining?  :)
    And prefacing the complaint with "one of my favorite things" is kind of a passive aggressive way of complaining---btw, all tongue in cheek...
    I don't mind. But really, it wasn't a passive aggressive way to complain. I think its funny and get entertainment out of reading it.
    How many times has someone said "If you don't like the price, don't buy it. No one cares about your opinion." Or the equivalent on any number of other threads. "Stop complaining about the missing singles, if you don't like what the 10C is doing then leave. No one cares about your opinion."  I find the irony in it funny.
    So do I....to be clear...I was just trying to be funny...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    I could write a whole page about all the horrors that went on with our first kid. The placenta falling to the floor would haven't even have been worth mentioning. 
    Next time at home?
    We had a next time, was at the same hospital but went much better. Partially because we knew to expect a quick labor. Official labor time was 5 minutes for the second. The problem was the first time being our first kid they didn't believe us she was in labor and refused to check on her for an hour, and by then it was too late. 
  • School is free in here, and we've been in the streets every 4 years in order to keep to it free for anyone.

School is expensive in some other countries.. and we get more students from those country moving here for school.

You have the right to complain, which does not mean you will start a fight for it. 

I personally think 44 Canadian dollars for 2 LPs is expensive.. And I know I am right... although I will still buy it. 

If you're not happy with my opnion, just buy it, pay the price and life goes on. Tomorrow it will be another 5$ more and you will pay it again without complains.. Thats how it work I guess ! 

What? School? Streets?

It's called a metaphor. 

Complaining is fine.. it's not a bad thing... if done with respect. 

(: 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • You guys are making me hungry
    Imaceleb GIF by Im A Celebrity
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    igotid88 said:
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:
    i went to sunrise records last friday. Lightning Bolt was $89.99. 

you read that right. $90. 
    Saw that myself today there. 
    That makes no sense?  It's not out of print or anything? 
    sunrise has proven criminal. when the new tool cd deluxe package came out, it was $69.99. i passed on it. i went there the next week again (for something else) and at the checkout i noticed the price was $89.99, and the clerk told me point blank it's because they figured out what the demand was. i couldn't believe it. i'd never seen that from a music store before. 

my guess is with a new record coming out, they know the demand for pj vinyl is going to be high, so they doubled the price on it. fucking crooks. 
    The new tool cd has a video and usb charge
    I know it does. I know it's not your average cd release. my point was that sunrise raises prices exponentially based on perceived demand. i've never seen that from a chain before. It's like they've become the secondary market with a store front. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Again, just for clarification, most records pressed at QRP, retail for about $35. Granted many are 200g AAA cuts by a great masterer (which we don't know who did Gigaton), but this floating around $35 certainly tracks. (there are probably other factors at play, this a new record, these others are reissues, so they have to compete with decades worth of other pressings being sold used and much cheaper).

https://store.acousticsounds.com/l/507/Analogue_Productions

Its certainly pricier than the average $25-$30 double LP, and record prices have gone up a lot in the past 20 years, so people may balk, but I don't think this is outrageous pricing either.

• melkormelkor Posts: 35

What do you suppose you are accomplishing by complaining if you still buy it? Every copy they sell just affirms that it's not overpriced. Your $$ speak louder than your words. If you don't buy it and complain in order to get others to do the same, well at least that's a strategy.
    Yeah, these will be cheaper later in the year. If its too much now, wait it out. They will press a ton. Amazon will have a great price in the fall.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I dunno..just over 3 bucks a song isnt horrible since you can listen to it over and over if ya want..But if their is a " Grimmie" on there , you should get 3 bucks back..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    Yeah, these will be cheaper later in the year. If its too much now, wait it out. They will press a ton. Amazon will have a great price in the fall.

Yeah? 
    usually, 4-8 months after a record drops, you can get for much less from them. Just camelcamelcamel it and wait for a lower price.

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Zod said:
    JBC7913 said:
    i went to sunrise records last friday. Lightning Bolt was $89.99. 

you read that right. $90. 
    Saw that myself today there. 
    That makes no sense?  It's not out of print or anything? 
    sunrise has proven criminal. when the new tool cd deluxe package came out, it was $69.99. i passed on it. i went there the next week again (for something else) and at the checkout i noticed the price was $89.99, and the clerk told me point blank it's because they figured out what the demand was. i couldn't believe it. i'd never seen that from a music store before. 

my guess is with a new record coming out, they know the demand for pj vinyl is going to be high, so they doubled the price on it. fucking crooks. 
    same thing with the one in St.Johns, i was going through the bins laughing at the prices... 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • This is a forum  all about opinions and topics. Thats the point of it all to discus. 
    Why cant  people  have their say?
    It could be positive  or negative  but its a discussion  thats what a thread  is for isnt it?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • This is a forum  all about opinions and topics. Thats the point of it all to discus. 
    Why cant  people  have their say?
    It could be positive  or negative  but its a discussion  thats what a thread  is for isnt it?

• Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    apirk72 said:
    15 years huh, not that long you missed out on the typically priced under $10 records
    $35 is a little on the high end for a 2xlp but not by much and it looks like the packaging will be pretty nice so $35 seems pretty fair.

record prices have gone up with their popularity/demand, happens with everything.  If you’ve been collecting that long you should know every mass produced release prices drop pretty frequently over time.

just be thankful they didn’t release it for record store day because then they’d probably charge $65 for it
    yeah i really wish I was into vinyls back then.. 

I was still buying PJ records before though. Got copies of Benaroya Hall, First original releases of most albums back then, Lost Dogs and many more rares items.

Also, most albums were released at 17.99 or 19.99$ each ( Canadian money ).. Then around 2012-13-14, prices started to get crazy.. 

With time I got a pretty good collection of really good quality albums...

For those who started collecting since only few years, it must be pretty insane to buy all basic albums. 
    Haha you said vinyls.....
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Image result for give me free music protest sign
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Just a question, but if this is the best sounding PJ studio album on vinyl, would you be happy to pay the $10 extra? 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Consumerism is a double edged sword. No one wants to pay that higher price, but then we hear about the labor and wage issues that happen with the price cutters and evil capitalists of Walmart and Amazon. We all have a choice to make and we will do so based on what seems reasonable for our situation. I despise Walmart, so I don't shop there. I am starting to despise Amazon, but I still shop on there; however, usually only for work supplies and if I waited too long to get someone a gift :whistle:

I'll be buying Gigaton from PJ directly because I feel it best supports the artist and their employees. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I feel better about that than handing over my money to any of these other large merchants. Later on I'll check my local record shop for the vinyl, if it's there, great, if not, no big deal. I'm in no rush.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Just the €50 here in Ireland.  3 record stores confirmed that price to me. This cannot be justified on any level. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    tino_11 said:
    Just a question, but if this is the best sounding PJ studio album on vinyl, would you be happy to pay the $10 extra? 
    For AAA yes of course. But we will be getting a hi-res digital file cut to vinyl.

Just buy the HD Digital, and then you don't have to worry about pressing inconsistencies. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    jeffbr said:

Maybe I'm early...?
    Ha, that's my complaint, but I am mostly done bitching about shipping. Instead, I just don't order from 10c unless it is something exclusive. I ordered Gigaton from Amazon, so I immediately saved $12 (the silly shipping charge), I'll likely get the record sooner since 10c loves to send their shipments via Mail Innovations on a tour of the surrounding counties and states, and I'll also get the digital files in my Amazon library on release day. Not sure why I'd want to order it from 10c.
    Yeah, kinda kicking myself for not doing the same.  I'll pay $13 more than everyone else, and get the album 2 weeks after release now. It's like I'm a glutton for my own punishment.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    jeffbr said:

Maybe I'm early...?
    Yeah, kinda kicking myself for not doing the same.  I'll pay $13 more than everyone else, and get the album 2 weeks after release now. It's like I'm a glutton for my own punishment.

Yeah I don't know why the hell I pre-ordered from 10c when I could have just ordered from Amazon.  it's not like it's even a limited color vinyl or anything.  I think I did the same thing with the Let's Play Two vinyl and ended up cancelling my 10c order.  I may try to do that again.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    jeffbr said:

Maybe I'm early...?
    We really deep down want to support 10C, but they make it really hard some time.
  • silvasilva Posts: 44
    My local record shop here in the UK say it's going to be £42. That's 55 USD. Whilst I was in there I bought the new Angel Olsen album for £20. Double LP, 12 page full size booklet, separate A1 poster and download code. Now how is it that for 2 comparable items, one is over double the other? I don't understand that. The only thing I can think is that they know the PJ market will spend that money (older, probably more fanatical fan base). 
    Of course the basic logical conclusion is the "if you don't like the price don't buy it" argument, but that's not really the answer when the question is "is this right?".
     I think employee wages and working conditions are really important, more important than my access to music. But I also don't think that anyone in the Chain that brought the Angel Olsen album to release, is working in conditions they shouldn't be for too little money. Maybe that makes me naive. I'm open to someone with more knowledge of the process telling me otherwise.
    For the time being, I can only assume that the price point is set at the maximum amount that they (I'm not even sure who they are , the label? Distributor, band? Do the band even know what the price is?) think they can get people to pay for it. If that's the case, I don't think I'm ok with that.
    This isn't just people moaning amount things that cannot be changed, it's part of a bigger discussion about how we, the consumers, are treated. And that's what this place is here for, discussions.

Wembley London - 10/29/96
    Reading Festival - 08/27/06
    Wembley London - 06/18/07
    Milton Keynes - 07/11/14
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    MedozK said:
    jeffbr said:

Maybe I'm early...?
    We really deep down want to support 10C, but they make it really hard some time.

They make it very hard.  Absurd shipping prices for extremely slow shipping.
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    Sounds like some of you should shop at different record stores.  Retail seems to be $34.99 anything over that is probably on the shop not the band
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    MedozK said:
    jeffbr said:

Maybe I'm early...?

They make it very hard.  Absurd shipping prices for extremely slow shipping.
    That s why I chose amazon this time.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......