New LP price is way too expensive

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited February 2020 in The Porch
How come the new vinyl is so expensive ? 

34.99$ US ?

I hope there is no song about capitalism on their new album., because I will need good explanations ! 

Sorry.. I have been buying and collecting records for the last 15 years, and now prices don't make senses anymore. 

my opinion... 

-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    its 3 sides....2 LPs

Why did my dad get a house in the 70's for $60k....and I paid over $400k in 2017 with 500 less sf?
  • CROJAM95 said:
    its 3 sides....2 LPs

Why did my dad get a house in the 70's for $60k....and I paid over $400k in 2017 with 500 less sf?

I am sorry, but I buy releases containing 2 LPs many times a year and prices won't reach 35$US. 

• bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

34.99$ US ?

I hope there is no song about capitalism on their new album., because I will need good explanations ! 

Sorry.. I have been buying and collecting records for the last 15 years, and now prices don't make senses anymore. 

my opinion... 

I'm not an expert and I won't even pretend to know ..... but my guess would be that its expensive to only make a few thousand..... if they had orders in the hundreds of thousands of them, the price would go down......how many fans do you think are buying vinyl?   :D
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I don't understand why we must do things in this world, why we must have friends and aspirations, hopes and dreams. Wouldn't it be better to retreat to a faraway corner of the world, where all its noise and complications would be heard no more? Then we could renounce culture and ambitions; we would lose everything and gain nothing; for what is there to be gained from this world?

- Emil Cioran
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    CROJAM95 said:
    its 3 sides....2 LPs

I am sorry, but I buy releases containing 2 LPs many times a year and prices won't reach 35$US. 

most double lps you buy probably do not come with a 28 page booklet.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• @Pjl44:

i hope you apply that to all opinions you have!! 

Altough, i am pretty sure you don’t.

(:
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    edited February 2020
    @bgirl59;
    I hope you are right, athough prices went up at least 25% on records since few years.. it’s moslty profit... 
    Post edited by McCready00 on
  • @PB11041,
    i hope it’s a hard cover book 

:peace:
    PB11041 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    its 3 sides....2 LPs

WOW!! its a double LP?? with a booklet and its only $35??? thanks for the info, that is a steal!!! in my opinion ...  :)=):o:D:o
    bgirl59 said:
    PB11041 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    its 3 sides....2 LPs

WOW!! its a double LP?? with a booklet and its only $35??? thanks for the info, that is a steal!!! in my opinion ...  :)=):o:D:o
    technically, 1.5, side D is etched, no music.  but still.

@PB11041,
    i hope it’s a hard cover book 

:peace:
    I take it that you have not been a purchaser of the Vault series.

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    So stream it on spotify like 99% of the free world. It's a collectible. They aren't mass producing vinyl these days. 
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    @bgirl59;
    I hope you are right, athough prices went up at least 25% on records since few years.. it’s moslty profit... 
    Ever consider that maybe they pay their employees a fair wage? There are MANY people involved in this process AND the price of producing a record has gone up now that all of these people are jumping on the vinyl bandwagon(expect them to go even higher since a fire destroyed one of a handful of suppliers of lacquer used to make master discs). I've been buying records for probably 40 years and this price doesn't surprise me. The cost of shipping is a whole other thing that I don't want to get into. Anyway, the good news is that you don't have to buy it. A CD will be much cheaper to purchase. Problem solved! Or you can continue to complain and achieve nothing.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    It is being pressed at a nice plant (QRP - one of the best in the US - I imagine something comparable in the EU), if they had it mastered by someone good, that will add to the cost too. 

$35 is slightly pricey for 2LPs, but its not a crazy amount given the above. I guess we'll see if its worth it when it arrives.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    You could probably wait for the used bins.  
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited February 2020
    Get ready for it to be even more across the board since the major plant that making vinyl was destroyed in a fire last week
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
    JP218404 said:
    Get ready for it to be even more across the board since the major plant that making vinyl was destroyed in a fire last week
    Oh dear!!  :bawling::grimacing::prayer:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    My guess is because we'll pay it? Are any of us not going to buy it on vinyl over 5 or $10? Probably not. No one walks into a record store, says "o, Pearl Jam put out a new album this week, and its on vinyl? How much is it? O I'll pass on that."
    I doubt it has anything to do with paying their employees well (although they very well may), they know their customers and what we'll pay.
    edited February 2020
    @mace1229; and I will still buy for it.. and would still buy it at 50$.. and they know it. What makes me laugh though is how fans need to find a reason why price is high.... 

i am sure if Creed had release a 3 sides records at 35$US, people would have a different opinion.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

What makes me laugh though is how fans need to find a reason why price is high.... 

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    It is high as compared to most new releases which average around $25.  I usually don't pay more than $30 for a new vinyl unless there is something special about it.  The fact that it's on 3 sides means they probably could've put it on one disc using 140G or 120G vinyl which I prefer.  The price on Amazon will come down most likely before or after the release and I'll wait for it.
  • Probably has something to do with seniority and how big of a fan you are.  
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

34.99$ US ?

my opinion... 

For my birthday one year, my husband bought CC Songbook for $42.00. He complained at first, but quickly got over that. 

If it is too expensive, don't buy it. Not a requirement. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    edited February 2020
    15 years huh, not that long you missed out on the typically priced under $10 records
    $35 is a little on the high end for a 2xlp but not by much and it looks like the packaging will be pretty nice so $35 seems pretty fair.

record prices have gone up with their popularity/demand, happens with everything.  If you’ve been collecting that long you should know every mass produced release prices drop pretty frequently over time.

just be thankful they didn’t release it for record store day because then they’d probably charge $65 for it
    Post edited by apirk72 on
  • apirk72 said:
    15 years huh, not that long you missed out on the typically priced under $10 records
    $35 is a little on the high end for a 2xlp but not by much and it looks like the packaging will be pretty nice so $35 seems pretty fair.

record prices have gone up with their popularity/demand, happens with everything.  If you’ve been collecting that long you should know every mass produced release prices drop pretty frequently over time.

just be thankful they didn’t release it for record store day because then they’d probably charge $65 for it
    yeah i really wish I was into vinyls back then.. 

I was still buying PJ records before though. Got copies of Benaroya Hall, First original releases of most albums back then, Lost Dogs and many more rares items.

Also, most albums were released at 17.99 or 19.99$ each ( Canadian money ).. Then around 2012-13-14, prices started to get crazy.. 

With time I got a pretty good collection of really good quality albums...

For those who started collecting since only few years, it must be pretty insane to buy all basic albums. 
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    bgirl59 said:
    JP218404 said:
    Oh dear!!  :bawling::grimacing::prayer:
    https://theboot.com/apollo-masters-vinyl-record-plant-fire/
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Nofx's Greatest Hits on two LPs. 34 songs. 19.99. 
    Epitaph Records.
  • Butter went up to $4.20 . That ruined my whole January. I'm still majorly pissed off about it so I decided to stop buying it.
  • Time to get a goat and make my own butter and tap my own oil well to make my own vinyl.
    edited February 2020
    Butter went up to $4.20 . That ruined my whole January. I'm still majorly pissed off about it so I decided to stop buying it.
    what do you mean? We should never complain, and just take things they way they are?