GA/ PIT advice

13»

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    People on the rail will likely line up the night before.  Lining up at noon will likely still get you at least 3-5 people deep so it just depends how close you want to get.

I will show up at 730 and hang in the back.
    how is hanging in the back?  Is it possible to see (for a relatively short person)?  

I am going to Ottawa and hanging out with a lot of friends.  No interest in hanging out in line.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    MayDay10 said:
    People on the rail will likely line up the night before.  Lining up at noon will likely still get you at least 3-5 people deep so it just depends how close you want to get.

how is hanging in the back?  Is it possible to see (for a relatively short person)?  

I am going to Ottawa and hanging out with a lot of friends.  No interest in hanging out in line.  

I'm 5'7" and hung out at the back in St. Paul '14.  Best view for a short person in GA, in my opinion.  Plus lots of room to move and you can lean on the back rail or sit down on the floor if you need a short break.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I prefer to hang in the back as well

“I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    MayDay10 said:

Yes because you can move wherever you need to go to see.  Sometimes that means moving a few times because the drunks will park their asses right in front of you even though there is space to either side but hey....

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    wsimon74 said:
    I gotta say - it used to be that the pit was a friendly place. You move around...go up front for a bit and jump around, then maybe hang back a few songs.  Now it's become insanely territorial and I hate it. Full of entitled fans who wont budge, stand their ground and get super arsey if you want to go forward for a song or 2.  I kinda get it if you've been queuing for 2 days to get up front (which personally I think is a bit much) but I've found the pit not a great experience the last few shows...just my opinion.
    agree with this 100%. The pit at Seattle 2 Homeshow was awful. Drunk people pushing and shoving left and right, just to move up a couple of feet. this is to say nothing of the guy who did nothing but yell at the top of his lungs "Chris Cornell" the entire freaking show.   assuming these were the stubhub people and not the actual 10c fans. expect more from us. 
    That reminds me of the guy in Moline (seats...not GA) that kept yelling "put your guitar away and sing" to Eddie for about a half hour stretch.  Someone either knocked him out or he passed out.
    I was right by that guy.  He puked all over himself and was dragged out.
    lol....I wondered why he shut up.  what a dick!

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    wsimon74 said:
    I gotta say - it used to be that the pit was a friendly place. You move around...go up front for a bit and jump around, then maybe hang back a few songs.  Now it's become insanely territorial and I hate it. Full of entitled fans who wont budge, stand their ground and get super arsey if you want to go forward for a song or 2.  I kinda get it if you've been queuing for 2 days to get up front (which personally I think is a bit much) but I've found the pit not a great experience the last few shows...just my opinion.
    agree with this 100%. The pit at Seattle 2 Homeshow was awful. Drunk people pushing and shoving left and right, just to move up a couple of feet. this is to say nothing of the guy who did nothing but yell at the top of his lungs "Chris Cornell" the entire freaking show.   assuming these were the stubhub people and not the actual 10c fans. expect more from us. 
    That reminds me of the guy in Moline (seats...not GA) that kept yelling "put your guitar away and sing" to Eddie for about a half hour stretch.  Someone either knocked him out or he passed out.

Like this fucking guy?  Too funny.  (Except his twin sat in the row behind me at one of the Forum 2006 shows.  Damn that stuff stunk!)

holy shit....how did he fit that much shit in his stomach?

• max8700max8700 Posts: 205
    CL286295 said:
    I'm not a rail rider, because it's just too much work and I really don't care that much about being that close.  The back of the pit is more my jam.  You are still really close, plenty of room to do your thing, you can get beers and hit the bathroom without hassle, and you don't have to waste your entire day sitting in a line.  I'm not knocking those folks who do that, but it's just not for me. Team back of the pit here.

This is exactly my jam, as well. I had GA in Pittsburgh in 2013, and I had never been to the city. I wandered around, rode the trams, ate at Primanti Bros and hit a couple of bars. Walked into the arena about 7:30 p.m. with a full beer and stood 20-25 feet from the the stage.

I'm not knocking the people who line up either, but there is so much to do in these cities. For LA2, I was lucky enough to get GA as well. I am flying out from Michigan to visit my best friend who now lives in LA. He is going to take me hiking that day up Runyon Canyon. I can't wait. We will Uber down to Inglewood about 4-5 p.m. likely, find a bar and meet some new folks and then stroll into the arena around 7.
    "So I am the young lady that was thrown out by Eddie Vedder. First off I apologize if I ruined any of your times at the show...that was not my intent. I was helping a twelve year old get to his mom who had gone up a bit earlier. I didnt elbow anyone intentionally...I was pushed from the front by some angry concert goers...also from previous comments as others have stated...I did not punch anyone...I did not kick anyone. I do feel that it is a bit pretentious to feel that in a general admission concert that you can be so upset at another body being in your general area. You paid to be in a general area...not a seat...not a number. Sorry to piss off the lead singer but apparently anger made his songs better afterwards according to many of you. So now you can blow up the board on how big a piece of crap I am but honestly...in the old days...you can remember how a concert was. People would move around and get to the front and there was no drama like there was yesterday. Regardless...thanks to the security guard for being so cool...thanks for the people I did meet and were cool...and thanks for the memories where I get to tell my grandkids I got kicked out of the concert by Eddie Vedder."

...there you go

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    wsimon74 said:

Like this fucking guy?  Too funny.  (Except his twin sat in the row behind me at one of the Forum 2006 shows.  Damn that stuff stunk!)

holy shit....how did he fit that much shit in his stomach?
    Well, he does appear to have a gigantic stomach.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 830
    The GA section looks a bit bigger then they did in 2016 based on the ticketmaster seating chart.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    "So I am the young lady that was thrown out by Eddie Vedder. First off I apologize if I ruined any of your times at the show...that was not my intent. I was helping a twelve year old get to his mom who had gone up a bit earlier. I didnt elbow anyone intentionally...I was pushed from the front by some angry concert goers...also from previous comments as others have stated...I did not punch anyone...I did not kick anyone. I do feel that it is a bit pretentious to feel that in a general admission concert that you can be so upset at another body being in your general area. You paid to be in a general area...not a seat...not a number. Sorry to piss off the lead singer but apparently anger made his songs better afterwards according to many of you. So now you can blow up the board on how big a piece of crap I am but honestly...in the old days...you can remember how a concert was. People would move around and get to the front and there was no drama like there was yesterday. Regardless...thanks to the security guard for being so cool...thanks for the people I did meet and were cool...and thanks for the memories where I get to tell my grandkids I got kicked out of the concert by Eddie Vedder."

...there you go
    Keep reading!  It's not where the story ends.  She was apparently jerk and tried to cut the line outside and got called out for it and then proceeded to get real pushy inside as well, bystanders reported their were no unattended kids in the area and that the kids with parents though she was acting like a jerk too. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
    Clapper said:

...there you go
    Keep reading!  It's not where the story ends.  She was apparently jerk and tried to cut the line outside and got called out for it and then proceeded to get real pushy inside as well, bystanders reported their were no unattended kids in the area and that the kids with parents though she was acting like a jerk too. 
    shit I missed it...thanks

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    This was a fun read.  I'll be in the back of GA as well.
  • scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    Got in line 30 minutes before the doors opened at MSG 2016 Night 1.  Ended up about 4 rows back dead center.  So unless you really want the rail you don’t have to camp out for a ridiculous number of hours to get a great spot.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Omg, I’m going to need a lot more of you to move forward! I like hanging in the back! Sounds great, see it all, a song or two you can slip around a side and get pretty close to Stone or Mike, then back to center to rock out. I especially like to be able to shift away from overly obnoxious folks ... or be that without feeling too bad!
    [sic] happens
  • LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    mikesbri said:
    The GA section looks a bit bigger then they did in 2016 based on the ticketmaster seating chart.
    Exactly what I thought when I saw the size of the GA pit on the seating chart for Hamilton, Ontario concert at First Ontario Centre. Truth be told it's one of the biggest GA pits I've seen. Not sure I'd want to be stuck at the back of that massive space. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    LYacky said:
    mikesbri said:
    Exactly what I thought when I saw the size of the GA pit on the seating chart for Hamilton, Ontario concert at First Ontario Centre. Truth be told it's one of the biggest GA pits I've seen. Not sure I'd want to be stuck at the back of that massive space. 
    Should be fine. 😉
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • JABKJABK Finland Posts: 293
    Best thing is the venues with FOS section. Then you're guaranteed a spot in that section of you got your tix through Ten Club.
  • I like how everyone up front is characterized as an asshole.  The one time I made an effort I got to Worcester a little after noon. End up hanging with some cool people on line.  Then ended up 2 people deep hanging with someone from Brazil and another from the Netherlands. Eventually the guy from Brazil left to hang in the back and gave me his rail spot. It was really chill and fun.  You do have to forego the bathroom so didn’t drink at all.  Even if I could have gotten back to the front I wouldn’t have wanted to weave through people as I feel you leave you leave. So didn’t want to be that guy.  

I assume at a place like MSG you’d need to be there a little earlier.

It was awesome (and yes, Mikes side for those wondering).  But it’s a bit more pre show effort than I’d normally do. It was the first of a 6 show run for me that year (it was Worcester, so what else you gonna do?) and the only show I did solo so figured that was as good a time as any. So enjoy it if you do.  Make friends with the folks around you. It’s a cool experience.  

Or maybe I was just extremely lucky. 

As others have said - show up a little before ticket time and you’ll still be 15-20 packed rows back (which is really like 10 seated rows but with the advantage of shifting side to side to find a good sight line). That’s what I did in Brooklyn a few shows later.  There is a ton of space in the back so you can go up and back and just hang. Met a couple different groups of people. Really cool. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    Only have done pit once, showed up at 530 and walked up to the rail about 25 feet right of the stage. Decided I’d rather be back a little to have a better view. I cant imagine lining up a day or two in advance. I’d maybe consider an overnight for a space like the apollo or beneroya hall.