Anyone else missing the old Synergy board?

pages_in_a_bookpages_in_a_book Dallas, TX Posts: 55
I was a very active member of Synergy back in the day. I felt like I got to know people on a real and genuine level, enough so that when I followed PJ on tour in 2000 I shared hotel rooms and crashed on couches with people I met on Synergy. does that same sense of culture exist on the new board? I haven't been active on a message board in awhile, but that sense of community seems drowned out by more grumbling and complaining than there used to be. Did I just reconnect at a bad time? Hoping others have that same connection to strangers  now that I had back in the day!
something to remember me by
1998--Dallas--Knoxville
2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock
2003--San Antonio--Dallas
2020--The Long Road to OKC #20

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Such a great time back then. I started posting in late 97
  • pages_in_a_bookpages_in_a_book Dallas, TX Posts: 55
    Such a great time back then. I started posting in late 97

nice! I think I started in 97 or 98. college, first real internet access, discovered Synergy, Five Horizons. good stuff! what was your name on the Synergy page? it's been soooooooo long. All I really remember besides OftheSea and Kat is PJMom, who utterly cracked me up!
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock
    Kat was digitalkat too i think. 

I dont even remember my name!  Lol.  Good times trading bootlegs, dissecting the Yield tour setlists,  so fun.  
    OMG, yes, dissecting setlists! every single day
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Synergy was great, but this is good too. It's always worst around lotteries, it gets better.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I dont even remember my name!  Lol.  Good times trading bootlegs, dissecting the Yield tour setlists,  so fun.  
    Yup - and Sea was always Sea.  I was always me, too :lol:

I think I remember you, OP!  Someone here mentioned the Rumor Pit earlier and it made me think of the many friends I made on that old board (one I married, some I hope to hug again here in LA, and others in my heart).

That bond with some here is just as strong for me, both in person and online.  I know others feel the same!
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    edited February 2020
    I'm hardly around at all anymore, but I saw your name and logged in to say hi to this more than welcome blast-from-the-past. :) I think you may have been one of the first folk I corresponded with when I joined Synergy as "rockrighter". (I cringed just typing that old username out. Eesh.) It's different now, in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I've moved on from the community, or if it moved on from me.
    Post edited by rockpants on
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    I miss RumorKiller
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    OG was the way.  Definitely miss the days of Synergy and the RumorPit
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• SB117186SB117186 Posts: 334
    loved synergy!
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    synergy was the best, it hasn't been the same since...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I was not here for the Synergy days but I will say I have met plenty of people on these boards since 2013 that I would consider friends and would no doubt let them sleep on my couch without hesitation. 
  • 77777777 Idaho Posts: 136
    edited February 2020
    PJMom!  I totally remember that.  Synergy was the best.
    I also remember ofthesea.
    Post edited by 7777 on
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Who also logged into telnet and visited the text-only ampj (alt.music.pearl-jam)?  I did a lot of tape trading on there.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    ceska said:
    Who also logged into telnet and visited the text-only ampj (alt.music.pearl-jam)?  I did a lot of tape trading on there.
    my good friend from college back in the day did, he was all in on that and scored us the bridge 1994 shows within a few mere weeks of the performance, a ton of great 1995 shows, the monkey wrench bcasts, etc
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    We make jokes about that.   Sometimes you find local people, so I started chatting with this guy named John.   Met him at the Vancouver '00 show at the Commodore, then he tagged a long on our road trip for the last 4 shows of the Binaural tour.  Not sure what ever happened to him.    Once and a while we'll pull up the pictures from the trip and go.. what ever happened to John?
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    PB11041 said:
    Definitely miss the RumorPit
    This. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    I miss RumorKiller
    ... and this. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    edited February 2020
    I joined in 2002, and met my now-husband there too! He hasn't been on in many years, but I still creep occasionally, mainly during tour/album news. I haven't been heavily active since around 2010-ish. Definitely made some long-lasting friendships through here, though! Had people crash on our couch for the 2005 and 2007 tours!  :)
    Post edited by Sharon_Hearts_PJ on
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    ceska said:
    I spent a lot of time posting on amp-j.  That’s where I found out about the fan club and the priority for tickets. Great memories.  =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Usenet and AOL.     They had some crazy people on the AOL board. 
    hedonist said:

Yup - and Sea was always Sea.  I was always me, too :lol:

I think I remember you, OP!  Someone here mentioned the Rumor Pit earlier and it made me think of the many friends I made on that old board (one I married, some I hope to hug again here in LA, and others in my heart).

That bond with some here is just as strong for me, both in person and online.  I know others feel the same!
    I think I remember you, too, Hedonist! nice to see you again
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    rockpants said:
    I'm hardly around at all anymore, but I saw your name and logged in to say hi to this more than welcome blast-from-the-past. :) I think you may have been one of the first folk I corresponded with when I joined Synergy as "rockrighter". (I cringed just typing that old username out. Eesh.) It's different now, in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I've moved on from the community, or if it moved on from me.
    I remember you, rockpants. You were always very passionate about whatever topic was being discussed. I think we even ended up at odds a few times, lol, but I always respected your passion and integrity. Good to see you again!
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    PJNB said:
    I was not here for the Synergy days but I will say I have met plenty of people on these boards since 2013 that I would consider friends and would no doubt let them sleep on my couch without hesitation. 
    That's so good to hear?.that sense of trust and family is such a huge part of my fandom
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    PJNB said:
    That’s so cool, I’ve met a lot of great fans through 10C and built friendships because of the music ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Thought it was www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/rumorpit
  • BritneyJam
    The dude loved Britney Spears and Pearl Jam
    I could never make that up
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    BritneyJam
    The dude loved Britney Spears and Pearl Jam
    I could never make that up
    Oh, I remember that guy! And Lil Timmy :)
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    ceska said:
    I used that before I used synergy.   I did some trades.  Got ripped off big from a guy in saskatchewan.  Offered to sell me the singles from 91 to 96 for 200 including shipping.  Mailed me a burned cd..... grrrr... only time I've truly been ripped off by someone on the internet.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Zod said:
    ceska said:
    I used that before I used synergy.   I did some trades.  Got ripped off big from a guy in saskatchewan.  Offered to sell me the singles from 91 to 96 for 200 including shipping.  Mailed me a burned cd..... grrrr... only time I've truly been ripped off by someone on the internet.
    I traded a copy of the 1st Alive cassette that was sent out to MLB fan club members for a few legendary 90's shows and Ed's 2 solo shows back in 2002. I found it at a Goodwill for 79 cents and thought I was getting a great trade. As soon as availability on stuff like that really opened up online a few years later I ended up regretting that decision. D'oh! 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014