Covers: What covers do you wish they'd try (new)? Which ones do you think they should stop?

Comments

• evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    All along the watchtower can replace rockin in the free world.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    For me it is River of Deceit, always loved this style of playing by Mike.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    Taking the risk to be tared and feathered: I Love RITFW! It always reminds me of my first PJ-concert in Frankfurt in 1992, when I thought: „What the f***, they cover one of my NY-favourites.“ It is probably a Midlife-Crisis-thing for me. 
    No tarring and feathering!  That's a great story.  I don't hate the song and I think PJ does well covering it.  Maybe I'd like to see it less.  The band certainly has fun doing it.  I like Neil Young's "F**king Up" a lot and wished that they could do that one more and RITFW less.  Or even Hey Hey, My My.  That would be cool.  I was also reflecting on a lot of comments suggesting fewer or no covers.  A lot of great points.  They do have 11 albums now, they're going to heavily weigh Gigaton into the setlist, and somebody suggested on PJ Radio Forum that the sets may be shorter with this tour having an opening act vs. "an evening with..." so maybe little or no covers is a good answer.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • KISS - SHE (ament has covered it)

KISS - C’MON AND LOVE ME (mccready has covered it)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rider10rider10 Posts: 41
    Bring back 'Let my Love Open the Door."
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
     RITFW  stopped being a cool cover in 1998. They do it well...but it just feels forced now. I hate when they play this in Canada - as if Playing Neil is some sort of Canada Customs Requirement or something.  We all know these guys could do a Neil Young cover in their sleep - so if they're going to do one...why not bust out Cowgirl in The Sand or Cortez the Killer? Same goes for The WHO. Full band version of Naked Eye or Young Man Blues would be fun. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    Mother is my favourite I have heard.

RITFW is a sign to rush to beat the traffic. 
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    JW269453 said:
    For me it is River of Deceit, always loved this style of playing by Mike.
    Good call...if covers, I'd like to hear stuff by Eddie Vedder, Mad Season, and TOTD first and foremost.  I'm there to see music by the guys in PJ...not The Who or Neil Young.  
  • brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 230
    they've got nearly 200 originals.  No covers would be best
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    They can kill Search and Destroy, Kick out the Jams, and Comfortably Numb. 

I will die on this hill, alone if need be, bring back Dock of the Bay (oakland as it's the bay). First time since the only time in 94. 

I wouldn't mind a cool zeppelin track like Kashmir or The Doors. But not some backwoods unpopular song. If it's a cover I like the big songs.
  • CopperTom said:
    No covers
    Agreed.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

The Who - Naked Eye, I am One, I'm Free, Magic Bus, Eminence Front, or for fun - Mary Ann with the Shaky Hands
    Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Down by the River
    Led Zeppelin - Your Time is Gonna Come, Hey Hey What Can I Do
    Beatles - Dig a Pony, I've Got a Feeling
    Velvet Underground - What Goes On
    The Cure - In Between Days

Or I would be happy with no covers at all

• Man.of.Golden.WordsMan.of.Golden.Words Toronto, ON Posts: 130
    I would love to hear them cover The Band's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, I think Eddie could really kill that vocal!

Tom Petty's Refugee, Pink Floyd's Hey You, Led Zeppeln's Custard Pie, Jimi Hendrix's Spanish Castle Magic.
    Toronto 2003, Hamilton 2005, Toronto 2005, Toronto 1&2 2006, Toronto 2009, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010, Toronto 1&2 2011, Hamilton 2011, Buffalo 2013, Detroit 2014, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014, Milwaukee 2014, New York City 2015, New York City 1&2 2016, Quebec City 2016, Ottawa 2016, Toronto 1&2 2016, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Madrid 2018, Chicago 1&2 2018, Los Angeles 1&2 2022, Quebec City 2022, Ottawa 2022, Hamilton 2022, Toronto 2022
  • I was raised on Neil Young and RITFW is one of my favorite songs. First PJ show was Camden in '05/06. Show was right around fourth of July and there were fireworks going off across the river in Philly. Midset they break into an impromptu Rocking in the Free World. It blew my mind. I loved that song then and still love it now. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    I was raised on Neil Young and RITFW is one of my favorite songs. First PJ show was Camden in '05/06. Show was right around fourth of July and there were fireworks going off across the river in Philly. Midset they break into an impromptu Rocking in the Free World. It blew my mind. I loved that song then and still love it now. 
    or 2003
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Roadhouse Blues - doors
    I like RITFW
    Don't let me down - beatles
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Lukeat911Lukeat911 Nashville, TN Posts: 174
    I’ve heard the Over the Hills and Far Away tease and would love a full cover
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited January 2020
    Man, I was just thinking about this today. I was playing Sandinista! today. I would love to hear PJ cover The Magnificent Seven. Kinda feel like it vibes with DotC too.

but dump the Pink Floyd covers. Even the Daughter tag.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    I think Hard Sun from Into the Wild would be an awesome jam. Ed gets into it, it's anthemic, rocking. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    Crew said:
    "I'd love to change the world", Ten Years After.  yeah, the lyrics are a little dated but seriously, can you imagine Mike wailing the guitar parts?  And Ed screaming the middle part like he does in Tremor Christ?  That would be a spectacle!
    Been saying this for years!  Came here to post it.  

It's right down the middle of their wheelhouse and aligns with their message (esp. now). 

For those unfamiliar:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCtHjQKySw
    I’ve posted that I wish they would cover this before. It is absolutely perfect for them. I can’t believe I’ve seen 2 people suggest this besides me!! We can hope!
  • PB11041 said:
    I was raised on Neil Young and RITFW is one of my favorite songs. First PJ show was Camden in '05/06. Show was right around fourth of July and there were fireworks going off across the river in Philly. Midset they break into an impromptu Rocking in the Free World. It blew my mind. I loved that song then and still love it now. 
    or 2003
    I was close. Have killed a lot of brain cells since then.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Play "Going to California."  They already know the music for it.  RitFW needs a rest.  Have they ever played "Gimme Shelter?"  That could be cool.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,905
    They can kill Search and Destroy, Kick out the Jams, and Comfortably Numb. 

I will die on this hill, alone if need be, bring back Dock of the Bay (oakland as it's the bay). First time since the only time in 94. 

I wouldn't mind a cool zeppelin track like Kashmir or The Doors. But not some backwoods unpopular song. If it's a cover I like the big songs.
    I could see them covering Zeppelin's "Sick Again".  I think that would work with Ed's voice, and the band.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    Would love to hear People Have the Power again!

Also, less covers overall, maybe 1-2 a show? Especially with the new album going to be played.
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    Would love to hear People Have the Power again!

Also, less covers overall, maybe 1-2 a show? Especially with the new album going to be played.
    Been listening to People Have The Power from Buffalo a whole lot — great song and done well.

Def don’t need to hear them do RITFW ever again.

but I do love Baba.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    They should play Throw Your Hatred Down more.

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Covers were the worst part of the stadium shows.  Waaaaay too many. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah not to sure what covers I like anymore or dislike id choose no covers ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 541
    I don't know anything - mad season 
  • BlackSmileBlackSmile Posts: 61
    edited January 2020
    I think they need to stop with the Neil Young and Who covers.  Try some new stuff out:

Buffalo Tom - Taillights Fade
    Motorhead - The Chase is Better Than the Catch
    The Tragically Hip - At the Hundredth Meridian (Tagged into Daughter)
    Crowded House - Mean to Me
    Tom Petty - Damaged By Love (Ed Solo into Hard Sun)
    The Replacements - Bastards of Young
    The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    Jeff Buckley - Eternal Life
    Brad - Lift (with Stone on vocals)

EDIT: Made a playlist.  Thought it'd be fun to share.
    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0DztqUkDuuX7VGr5zzR1TJ?si=rufdo_RwRiOj-LNpyvkj-g
    Post edited by BlackSmile on
    Calgary, Alberta (1993) / Missoula, Montana (2003) / Calgary, Alberta (2005) / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (2005) /Chicago, Illinois (2007) / Calgary, Alberta, (2009) / Calgary, Alberta (2011) / Calgary, AB (2013) / Missoula, Montana (2018) / Vancouver, BC (2024)