Covers: What covers do you wish they'd try (new)? Which ones do you think they should stop?

For me, new ones I wish they would try:
"That's the way", Led Zeppelin.  I always hear Stone on PJ Radio saying LZ is a favorite.  I think this one would work very well with Ed's voice.  Other than HOB Chicago Katrina Benefit, they really don't play Zeppelin covers.  I think "That's the way" would be amazing.
"I'd love to change the world", Ten Years After.  yeah, the lyrics are a little dated but seriously, can you imagine Mike wailing the guitar parts?  And Ed screaming the middle part like he does in Tremor Christ?  That would be a spectacle!
The ones I wish they would table:
RITFW - Nobody's version really does it for me.  I'm usually up in the stands and everybody on stage looks like they're having a bacchanal but I'm just waiting it out hoping they squeak out another song afterwards.
Baba O'Riley   - They do that song justice, actually really well.  But I think I've heard it, seen it way too many times.  Kicks off that end of concert depression.  To me it does. 
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river

Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Hard to imagine in this time we are alive all those yesterdays they let the records play a life wasted making their last exit with reruns of Baba and RIFTW.   
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    RITFW has been stale for years. I enjoy Baba but would much rather hear a Pearl Jam song in that slot.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    "I'd love to change the world", Ten Years After.  yeah, the lyrics are a little dated but seriously, can you imagine Mike wailing the guitar parts?  And Ed screaming the middle part like he does in Tremor Christ?  That would be a spectacle!
    Been saying this for years!  Came here to post it.  

It's right down the middle of their wheelhouse and aligns with their message (esp. now). 

For those unfamiliar:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCtHjQKySw
  • fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    RITFW needs a rest for sure 
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    JimmyV said:
    RITFW has been stale for years. I enjoy Baba but would much rather hear a Pearl Jam song in that slot.
    I still like the energy that Baba brings into an arena energy, like Detroit 2014. I can’t remember the last show I went to where people were just LOVING RITFW though. Definitely stale. However I have a feeling that one won’t be going anywhere soon. 
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Don't mind covers, just hope they limit them to one or two a show. They have a large enough catalog of songs that don't get played enough.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,216
    For me, new ones I wish they would try:
    "That's the way", Led Zeppelin.  I always hear Stone on PJ Radio saying LZ is a favorite.  I think this one would work very well with Ed's voice.  Other than HOB Chicago Katrina Benefit, they really don't play Zeppelin covers.  I think "That's the way" would be amazing.
    The ones I wish they would table:
    RITFW - Nobody's version really does it for me.  I'm usually up in the stands and everybody on stage looks like they're having a bacchanal but I'm just waiting it out hoping they squeak out another song afterwards.
    Baba O'Riley   - They do that song justice, actually really well.  But I think I've heard it, seen it way too many times.  Kicks off that end of concert depression.  To me it does. 

Oh yes, Led Zeppelin ... "Over the hills and far away" or how about "Soul Kitchen" by The Doors?
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    A tragically hip song should be played in Canada this tour
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    "Town Called Malice" by The Jam. I've been in love with this song since it was used as an opening montage in The Walking Dead - "The Cell" (season 7 episode 3). I feel like PJ could nail this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ht3XFw4x1I
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • RF283499RF283499 Posts: 141
    I have had enough of The Who covers. How about the Stones or Zeppelin instead. 

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    RF283499 said:
    I have had enough of The Who covers. How about the Stones or Zeppelin instead. 

I'll take Baba or Love Reign o'er Me any day over RITFW or Sonic Reducer.

But yeah, I would love some Stones or Zep covers too.

• chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    Think it was San Diego in 2013 they covered Van Halen Aint Talkin Bout Love and that was killer. Would love to hear that
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I’d like
    to hear I Don’t Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
  • rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    From the current catalog I wish they'd play Arms Aloft (Joe Strummer & Mescaleros) more and Driven to Tears (Police) was epic NYC 2016.  RITFW and Baba are great but I'd like to see Breath get more penultimate play. 

As for new covers I'd go with "Roadhouse Blues" by the Doors. I think Eddie would kill the vocals. I'm partial to The Clash so maybe go off the beaten path with "Card Cheat" since PJ rocks crescendo tunes. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Think it was San Diego in 2013 they covered Van Halen Aint Talkin Bout Love and that was killer. Would love to hear that
    Hartford 2x, Spokane once.  Never anywhere else.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    After this first single, I've been on a big Talking Heads binge this past week.  How about 'Life During Wartime'?
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    I could probably go with hearing Rockin in the Free World again, but to each his own.
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    They should retire most covers... especially crazy mary and last kiss.  But keep the pink floyd, TOTD, crown of thorns, and most importantly... little wing.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Unless you're busking on a street corner, I don't see any point in playing covers unless you are going to completely change it. I definitely do not need to hear PJ play anything by the Who or Floyd ever again. It's been done to death and then some. If they play a cover I'd like to be surprised with arrangement or something obscure that many people might mistake for an original.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Just Because - Jane's Addiction
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    STEPPENWOLF  SONGS LIKE  SNOWBLIND  FRIEND OR RIDE WITH ME   SOMETHING TO PLAY IN HAMILTON. 
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214
    Taking the risk to be tared and feathered: I Love RITFW! It always reminds me of my first PJ-concert in Frankfurt in 1992, when I thought: „What the f***, they cover one of my NY-favourites.“ It is probably a Midlife-Crisis-thing for me. 
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    I would like a 1 or 2 cover limit at each show, and for them to mix them up as much as their originals.  Hence...no RITFW every other show to close.  
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    CopperTom said:
    No covers
    No new or old. Just play some PJ
    Kearnsy
  • BH87446BH87446 Posts: 113
    I’d love to hear them do New Day Yesterday by Jethro Tull, especially since Eddie has mentioned on multiple occasions that Stand Up was such an influential album for him early on. The Real Me by The Who would be pretty awesome to see live, too- the couple times I’ve heard their version have been killer.
     I could probably do without RITFW, it’s been done to death at this point...
  • DozierDozier Posts: 31
    Taking the risk to be tared and feathered: I Love RITFW! It always reminds me of my first PJ-concert in Frankfurt in 1992, when I thought: „What the f***, they cover one of my NY-favourites.“ It is probably a Midlife-Crisis-thing for me. 
    Na, I'm with you.  Love their performance of the song.  Always makes me think of the PJ25 finale with all the performers on the stage at once jamming out.  I'd also rather finish a concert pumped up with the rock vibe of RITFW over the downer feeling that Ledbetter leaves you with.
  • Now that EV is channeling David Byrne, I'd like to see what they could do with a Talking Heads song..  I think they could do a really interesting cover of This Must Be The Place.
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214
    I would love to hear another Dylan-tune. My Back Pages would be cool! 
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Crazy Mary and Comfortably Numb are concession/bathroom songs for me. 

I’d really like to hear the full band take a run at Room at the Top. Such a great Petty tune, although I know the stripped down version is more appropriate to a certain extent.