Would You Rather- 1st row behind the stage or 1st row of the nosebleeds?

bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
Never have sat behind the stage, but feel like I would pick that over nosebleeds.

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I only sat behind the stage once and hated it. Was like I wasn't even at the show. I would probably take last row of nosebleeds over that again. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    I was behind the stage, dead center behind Matt at MSG in 2016. I really liked it, sound was good and it was cool seeing the show from the band's perspective, just watching the crowd go nuts. Probably wouldn't want to do it every time but I definitely didn't leave disappointed.
  • tdawe said:
    I was behind the stage, dead center behind Matt at MSG in 2016. I really liked it, sound was good and it was cool seeing the show from the band's perspective, just watching the crowd go nuts. Probably wouldn't want to do it every time but I definitely didn't leave disappointed.
    I let my beer soaked mind drift....and start to really feel like I am a secondary percussionist behind MC (That's what I call him in this scenario/hallucination)...sort of a Grateful Dead/Carlos Santana thing....At the end of the show I mop my brow, take a bow, raise my hand to the cheering crowd and walk....to my car.  Kind of a bummer ending, but during the show I felt important.
    tdawe said:
    I let my beer soaked mind drift....and start to really feel like I am a secondary percussionist behind MC (That's what I call him in this scenario/hallucination)...sort of a Grateful Dead/Carlos Santana thing....At the end of the show I mop my brow, take a bow, raise my hand to the cheering crowd and walk....to my car.  Kind of a bummer ending, but during the show I felt important.
    So basically the same as sitting anywhere else, is what you're saying?
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited January 2020
    Stumbled into a 1st row ticket directly behind Matt Cameron in Denver 2014. An unforgettable night, i’d take that over nosebleeds.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I've been behind the stage many times.  I love those seats cause I feel like I'm a part of the band. and being behind the stage you are much closer to the stage then the nosebleed seats, so you have a better view of the band and can see everything going on behind stage when Eddie takes breaks lol. 
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    I sat behind the stage in the first row in Hartford 2010.  It was a really cool and different way to see a show.

This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    MR242791 said:
    I've been behind the stage many times.  I love those seats cause I feel like I'm a part of the band. and being behind the stage you are much closer to the stage then the nosebleed seats, so you have a better view of the band and can see everything going on behind stage when Eddie takes breaks lol. 
    Watching the rest of the band drink beer & chat during the "Ed solo" portion of the show was surprisingly captivating.
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    ComeToTX said:
    I sat behind the stage in the first row in Hartford 2010.  It was a really cool and different way to see a show.

that's a great pic and a great view
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Yep, behind the stage is an interesting perspective and I'd recommend it but know that a small% of seats can be obstructed by rigging.

1st row of the nosebleeds in an arena is never a bad seat. 
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    tdawe said:
    I got stuck behind one night in Brooklyn. I had a blast but like you I  wouldn't want to do it every time! Interesting watching some of the behind the scene things going on with the Techs and all that. 
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Stage for sure

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Sprunkn7 said:
    tdawe said:
    I got stuck behind one night in Brooklyn. I had a blast but like you I  wouldn't want to do it every time! Interesting watching some of the behind the scene things going on with the Techs and all that. 
    Fully agree...was behind to the left for first night in LA 2013 (pit for night 2, luckily) and thought it was great, and I was at least 12 rows up. Obviously wouldn't want to do it every time, but you're very close, you get to see band dynamics, what the band sees in the crowd, it's actually really cool.

I'd take it over second or third deck, even far back first deck, and probably over floor behind GA. And not only are they often available, they're usually pretty cheap, for what it's worth.
  • Behind the stage. I was in the 2nd row behind the stage once and it was awesome. Mostly watched Matt and the crowd. It was amazing to have a close, bird’s eye view of Matt playing. Only musician I can think of that I would trade faraway floor seats for behind the stage seats for. 

Well maybe J-Lo too, but for totally different reasons. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Love being behind the stage as long as it's low and close. Arguably prefer it to 10C seats on the side, even the "better" ones. These seats often drop in the last week or so before a show and I would definitely recommend them.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    tdawe said:

I was About 5 rows behind Matt for the MSG 1  that tour, and when they opened with Go the energy was nuts. Bedlam. Can’t imagine rocking like that in the upper deck.

it can be tough to pick out Ed because from behind he can blend with the crowd. When Mike n Jeff play to each other sideways, as they often do, you get an excellent view. As when anyone comes to say hi to Matt. 

i suggest at least a few rows up so the drums and their other stage debris doesn’t block the view.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    Stumbled into a 1st row ticket directly behind Matt Cameron in Denver 2014. An unforgettable night, i’d take that over nosebleeds.

Nice! Lol I think I was just a few rows behind you.  I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would honestly
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited January 2020
    Not only would I take behind the stage over the nose bleeds, I would take it over a 100 level seat on the other end of the arena when they are like 500' away.

People act like they stand there facing forward the whole show like robots.  They turn around and play to to the rear of the stage a LOT during the show.

My avatar is from the 1st Brooklyn show when Ed walked 5' under me with a NYS Vitalogy license plate when I was directly behind the stage.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I'm not sure I'd want to be the first few rows.   Then stuff like speaker stacks can impede your view.  Row 5 or 10 so your a few rows up would be great.    I also found out at Seattle 13 that you don't want to be too high.  Then stuff like the lighting rig (or stuff like the metal bird) block your view.   

I think behind stage is like goldilocks.  You want the seats that are just right.. not too low, not too high :)  Pretty much the lower bowl except the first 5 rows.
  • travelgirltravelgirl Posts: 10
    edited January 2020
    I have to say behind the stage for me. I got to see Temple of the Dog @ MSG in 2016 from there and I enjoyed it.  To be fair, I was just happy I made it in :-)
    Post edited by travelgirl on
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    tdawe said:
    I was there on the 2nd night with my brother, Slow Lukin night, my brother spilled a beer on a guy - if that was you, my apologies - we were dead center as well.   The group of people around us were great and all into it.  First and last time behind the stage - overall loved it.  Just wanted to be in the house that night and so glad I took the tickets.  Unique perspective and amazing show.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Sprunkn7 said:
    tdawe said:
    Fully agree...was behind to the left for first night in LA 2013 (pit for night 2, luckily) and thought it was great, and I was at least 12 rows up. Obviously wouldn't want to do it every time, but you're very close, you get to see band dynamics, what the band sees in the crowd, it's actually really cool.

I'd take it over second or third deck, even far back first deck, and probably over floor behind GA. And not only are they often available, they're usually pretty cheap, for what it's worth.
    So you had a great view of me eating shit when my fat ass went over the rail. Lol. Both those shows were great. Looking forward to this year. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Zod said:
    I'm not sure I'd want to be the first few rows.   Then stuff like speaker stacks can impede your view.  Row 5 or 10 so your a few rows up would be great.    I also found out at Seattle 13 that you don't want to be too high.  Then stuff like the lighting rig (or stuff like the metal bird) block your view.   

I think behind stage is like goldilocks.  You want the seats that are just right.. not too low, not too high :)  Pretty much the lower bowl except the first 5 rows.

goldilocks zone nails it. I’ve had great seats 5+ rows behind Matt and uppers that had the lighting truss block the view
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Behind the stage without hesitation
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 335
    I sat side stage( technically considered back of the stage) on one of the boston shows. The sound was actually really good and you could see the band at all times even when the lights went down. If I had the chance to sit their again I would take it over almost anywhere else I have sat/stood in the past. 
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 566
    Behind the stage and it’s not even close 
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • JC29866JC29866 Chicago Posts: 80
    Being behind the stage, or even side stage, is an experience every fan should try at least once. A very different, more intimate experience. 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    If I don’t land MSG (or other stops) through this presale I’m absolutely looking into the behind stage tickets before nosebleed.