There are hidden chemicals in our clothing.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
When possible, I like to purchase used clothing. Here in the U.S., every thrift store is full of clothing. But one thing I like to wear and haven't been able to find is corduroy shirts.

So I happened to notice today a new blue corduroy Calvin Klein shirt in a store that was marked down 60%. Marvelous! Only then I got to thinking- should I wash it before I wear it?

I did some research and found that new clothing from name labels like Calvin Klein that are made in Indonesia are loaded with toxic chemicals. I'll try to look for used or if new, organic cotton next time. It's too late to return the new shirt- I did wash it- but at least I did wash it before wearing it which is one of the things the following article suggests. This all may sound trivial to some but remember, our skin is our body's largest organ and what we put on it, we absorb into our selves.

And this doesn't even begin to cover the health hazards of those poor folks who make these clothes in Indonesia and elsewhere.  I can't imagine the health risks there!

I'll shop more carefully next time.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Yes, you should wash clothes before wearing. I'm a quilter and the fabric I use has been treated with chemicals. It's a good idea to wash the fabric before I use it to avoid contact with those chemicals.
    PSA topic. :angry:
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Good point, Brian. Not to mention the chemicals that get used at dry cleaners as well. 
    Not sure why there’s such a need to use chemicals in everything. It’s a shame. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Naked is the way 😊
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    lol, I don't even want to imagine that.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Kat said:
    lol, I don't even want to imagine that.
    Yeah I agree I can’t even look at myself in the mirror lol
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Naked is the way 😊
    Then I'd often have to bleach my eyes ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    bbiggs said:
    Good point, Brian. Not to mention the chemicals that get used at dry cleaners as well. 

I had hoped that dry cleaners who advertise as being "organic" would be a good option.  But then I read that many dry cleaners us tetrachloroethylene  (commonly referred to as "perc"), a chemical listed as "probably causing cancer".  "Organic" simply refers to any compound containing carbon and tetrachloroethylene comtains... yep, carbon.  So any dry cleaning establishment can hang an "Organic" sign and give the impression it is healthy.  I guess the best thing is to not have clothes that need dry cleaning.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    The feeling of wearing unwashed brand new socks for the first time is worth whatever health risks are involved!
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

I had hoped that dry cleaners who advertise as being "organic" would be a good option.  But then I read that many dry cleaners us tetrachloroethylene  (commonly referred to as "perc"), a chemical listed as "probably causing cancer".  "Organic" simply refers to any compound containing carbon and tetrachloroethylene comtains... yep, carbon.  So any dry cleaning establishment can hang an "Organic" sign and give the impression it is healthy.  I guess the best thing is to not have clothes that need dry cleaning.
    You’re right. I tried convincing my employer to take this approach, but so far they haven’t taken the bait! 😂
    mace1229 said:
    The feeling of wearing unwashed brand new socks for the first time is worth whatever health risks are involved!

Scratch my feet!  :lol:

bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:
    bbiggs said:

You’re right. I tried convincing my employer to take this approach, but so far they haven’t taken the bait! 😂

Bummer, BB!