Iron Maiden

Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I've been listening to a lot of Maiden lately and it seems as if PJ is heavilly influenced by them. IMO...They are not like other "metal" bands, if a metal band at all. They have some very "punky" riffs. They seem totally unique considering the time they were out there.
Are any of the guys in the band huge Maiden fans?
All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    IIRC, there is a 'Number of the Beast' tag on Yellow Ledbetter from the 2000 shows.

I don't think there is any question that the band appreciates good metal. Hell, even Vedder mentioned Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny in the last newsletter.
  • if a metal band at all.
    LMFAO.......
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Playing here at Ullevi next summer. Should i go?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Playing here at Ullevi next summer. Should i go?
    YES.  It is a great show if you haven't seen them live.  They are very good at what they do, just don't bother seeing them back to back shows.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited November 2019
    Playing here at Ullevi next summer. Should i go?
    I would definitely go see Iron Maiden. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited July 2020
    Totally getting into them, thank you  Ozzies Boneyard on X M.  I think they are superb musicians!  Their names are never mentioned on best of lists, but their skills seem second to none 
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2019
    Jeff is definitely a Maiden fan. He had their name on his shirt as bands that should be in the  HOF at their own induction.  (I wholeheartedly agree with him).  I heard Mike play the opening riff of Number of the Beast in a concert on PJ Radio the other day after EV commented on them. Can’t remember where the show was but Iron Maiden was there the day before or something and EV said  “you’ve got two Eddie’s here” or something to that effect and chuckled. :) 

I saw Maiden here in Calgary this summer and they were awesome and definitely metal. UP THE IRONS!
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Jeff is definitely a Maiden fan. He had their name on his shirt as bands that should be in the  HOF at their own induction.  (I wholeheartedly agree with him).  I heard Mike play the opening riff of Number of the Beast in a concert on PJ Radio the other day after EV commented on them. Can’t remember where the show was but Iron Maiden was there the day before or something and EV said  “you’ve got two Eddie’s here” or something to that effect and chuckled. :) 

I saw Maiden here in Calgary this summer and they were awesome and definitely metal. UP THE IRONS!
    "Its great when you have a guitarist that knows all the songs to Iron Maiden, Black sabbath, Van Halen.  I vote Mike for President"

I think that's how that went.  It's one of the 2000 shows.
  • Jeff is definitely a Maiden fan. He had their name on his shirt as bands that should be in the  HOF at their own induction.  (I wholeheartedly agree with him).  I heard Mike play the opening riff of Number of the Beast in a concert on PJ Radio the other day after EV commented on them. Can’t remember where the show was but Iron Maiden was there the day before or something and EV said  “you’ve got two Eddie’s here” or something to that effect and chuckled. :) 

"Its great when you have a guitarist that knows all the songs to Iron Maiden, Black sabbath, Van Halen.  I vote Mike for President"

I think that's how that went.  It's one of the 2000 shows.
    It was a 2000 show for sure. And I agree.. Mike for President! (of course, I’m Canadian and we have our own government but yknow, this Trump thing isn’t reflecting well for the US on the world stage lol). 
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    It took me so long to finally go to a Maiden show, but now I see them every time they play in my area. Such a kickass band to see live and they don't show their age. I will always make an effort to see them play.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    I've only seen Maiden the one time (back in Edmonton 10 or so years ago).   Amazing show!!  Everyone should see Iron Maiden at least once :)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I am a little perplexed as to why they never quite got there....I imagine the whole antidevil.movement in the 80s may have held them back a bit as far as mainstream ascension comercially.  Marketing wise Eddie was a goldmine to young boys and teens I would guess,  If it were now they would be so overcommercialized they would be huge and then dissapear.  I suppose a longbsteady career was okay with them.  

I wont lie, I was never a fan, lead singers voice can be shrill at times, but after downloading GH on Hdtracks I was like, what have I been missing fuck!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited July 2020
    Zod said:
    I've only seen Maiden the one time (back in Edmonton 10 or so years ago).   Amazing show!!  Everyone should see Iron Maiden at least once :)
    High School. 7th son tour. 32 yrs ago? fuck me I'm old...
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Funny story.

The youth of today are wearing shirts of bands that we all listen to.  I have no idea where they sell them but they are.

Anywho.  In Jamaica, Queens the other day and i notice a young black kid wearing an Appetite for Destruction shirt, brand new.  I stop him and ask about the shirt and if he's ever listened to them? 

His reply?  "No I've never listened to Iron Maiden."

That's a G N R shirt, son.

"Oh my bad.  I bought it cause it's trendy."

That's cool.  I dig it anyways!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

THAT is fucking badass. Such a different sound than I am used to from their older shit. Video is killer too...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:

THAT is fucking badass. Such a different sound than I am used to from their older shit. Video is killer too...
    I’ve watched/listened to it about 15 times now. 

Daughter digs it, too. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    Wow. Killing it in 2021! I couldn't imagine that. Nice surprise. Long live Eddie...
    I was talking maiden with a stranger and he said he never liked them. Too much like a bad metal 'journey'. Everyone's ears are different.  Maybe he never heard the first 2 records with Pauly D. May have to dust those off.

That kind of ended our metal discourse.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Loujoe said:
    I was talking maiden with a stranger and he said he never liked them. Too much like a bad metal 'journey'. Everyone's ears are different.  Maybe he never heard the first 2 records with Pauly D. May have to dust those off.

That kind of ended our metal discourse.
    Pauly D GIFs  Tenor

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Was for sure. Didn't know at the time. Mullet to mowhawk to skinhead to naturally thinning...maybe try for dreads next.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Loujoe said:
    Was for sure. Didn't know at the time. Mullet to mowhawk to skinhead to naturally thinning...maybe try for dreads next.
    I never had a mullet.  I hated them.

Flat top to long to short to mohawk to long to shaved head to preppy to mohawk again to long to short and long again...

Up the Irons!
  • Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 427

The new album is available to pre-order from today (release date September 3rd).

They were the first band I ever saw back in 1981 and I still see them on every tour.

Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 

The new album is available to pre-order from today (release date September 3rd).

They were the first band I ever saw back in 1981 and I still see them on every tour.

You saw them w D'anno?  My lord that must have been insane back then!

good to know

• Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 427

You saw them w D'anno?  My lord that must have been insane back then!
    Saw them supported by Trust with Nicko on drums!
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24