Super Deluxe Box Sets

Has there been any official word on if these are going to continue or not? I bought the first two (Ten, VS/Vitalogy) but was I the only one looking forward to the rest of the catalog?

Comments

• They did the box set for Ten through Lightning Bolt. They also reissued stand-alone copies of No Code through S/T. Someone (Jeff?) said that they got a little tired of looking back.

I think everyone wanted that Randall's Island on vinyl...but it also seems like the Vault releases have taken over.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,096
    Gotcha. That’s a bummer. I was hoping for more sets. 
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Basically they only did their popular albums.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    I would think they would Finish them off 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    The second box set was pretty underwhelming when compared to the first. I'm not sure if that impacted sales of it, but if so, I'd imagine that's why they stopped doing them.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    The second box set was pretty underwhelming when compared to the first. I'm not sure if that impacted sales of it, but if so, I'd imagine that's why they stopped doing them.
    It seemed that the process was that the band, specifically Ament who took the lead in the packaging didn't really want to look back, had nothing to do with sales.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    PB11041 said:
    It seemed that the process was that the band, specifically Ament who took the lead in the packaging didn't really want to look back, had nothing to do with sales.

Thats pretty rough when the goal is to put out a retrospective :lol:
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    That was their public stance, but wasn't he heavily involved with MLB and TotD box sets, among others? We'll never know the real reasons.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I don't think they are.  If I read between the lines the Vs./Vitalogy set didn't sell that well.   I partly think it's because there wasn't that much interesting stuff in the box.  Two albums (which were fairly easy to find on vinyl.. not as rare as subsequent albums), and a live LP.   No DVD like the 10 box set.  I think if they included some more stuff maybe it would of sold better.   I also think No Code/Yield would of sole better due to the increased rarity of the vinyl.

I figure they gave up when they rereleased the whole catalog on vinyl.   Now you'd really have to include some cool stuff in boxsets to get people to double dip.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    That was their public stance, but wasn't he heavily involved with MLB and TotD box sets, among others? We'll never know the real reasons.
    He answered me on Twitter a few years back and said he was in the process of putting it together. Obviously that never happened and I doubt it will. Very focused on looking forward and whatnot 🙄
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Zod said:
    I don't think they are.  If I read between the lines the Vs./Vitalogy set didn't sell that well.   I partly think it's because there wasn't that much interesting stuff in the box.  Two albums (which were fairly easy to find on vinyl.. not as rare as subsequent albums), and a live LP.   No DVD like the 10 box set.  I think if they included some more stuff maybe it would of sold better.   I also think No Code/Yield would of sole better due to the increased rarity of the vinyl.

I figure they gave up when they rereleased the whole catalog on vinyl.   Now you'd really have to include some cool stuff in boxsets to get people to double dip.
    If they also include an exclusive DVD / Blu-ray / digital copy in these box sets it will get people to double dip.
    Zod said:

What lines are you reading between?  This kind of seems like your own opinion that the ten boxset was more appealing, because it was to you, which is cool, but not evidence.  

Personally, I found the both to be somewhat underwhelming from an audio perspective, the live LPs were the only thing of real interest.  I already had the complete unplugged on DVD and the entire audio including soundcheck.  

For No Code and Yield it would be easy for me to double dip if they worked on a better cut that crossed 2 LPs for each record.  Then just put together an LP of No Code Live and Yield Live from the 1996 and 1998 tours respectively.  Sure add a dvd I guess

somewhat different looking back at both of those project

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited December 2019
    PB11041 said:

Doubt it didn't have to do with sales. I mean the second one was only available through the tenclub and they decided to combineVS and Vitalogy.

I doubt that was the intention from the get-go. 

And i wouldn't take the "want to look ahead, and not back" at face value. I mean, how much have they released that looks ahead since than? 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited December 2019
    They were to trinkets-heavy from the get-go. Trying to sell to the "collect plastic shit you look at once" crowd. Just like the movie companies and videogame companies also try to sell shit to with high margins.

How many litographs and statue-of-the-main-protagonist are collecting dust around the world while it is burning up?

How many are playing with the Duke Nukem Forever deck of cards you got with that special edition? zzz
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It's sad there won't be any more Super Deluxe Box Set album releases from Pearl Jam.
  • demetrios said:
    It's sad there won't be any more Super Deluxe Box Set album releases from Pearl Jam.
    they should atleast have released one for Riot Act. Skipping through the rest if they had to.
  • stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    Being slightly ocd, im not comfortable that they didn’t continue with with the super deluxe thing. 

Was really looking forward to the next box as the jack irons era is my favorite in terms of the interesting musical collaborations and actual musical sounds coming from the guys while they were dealing with the comedown from the early hype. The early seminal, aggressive stuff will always be what we remember, the later (hate to say it) “band” stuff that’s probably 75% or more dictated by Ed doesn’t excite me much so it’s this middle patch that’s most interesting. 

Same as what has been said if they want to look forward and not back then this ongoing silence is not encouraging. 
    PB11041 said:

Doubt it didn't have to do with sales. I mean the second one was only available through the tenclub and they decided to combineVS and Vitalogy.

I doubt that was the intention from the get-go. 

And i wouldn't take the "want to look ahead, and not back" at face value. I mean, how much have they released that looks ahead since than? 
    Ament said it, so I will take it at face value that he was not interested in spending additional time on the past.  Putting Vs and Vitalogy together made perfect sense since one record was recorded on tour for the other.  It tied up their first few years well.  

I don't think there is much more sub plot to it than what was said on the surface.  You have to have more than one person that wants to dedicate their time to a project like that.

If anything I don't think they really had a long arc to play with this project for their whole catalog.  The last era they could make this work for is No Code and Yield.

You get to Binauaral and what do you have, oh yeah we released that entire tour on CD and digital download already and all the outtakes on Lost Dogs.  

demetrios said:
    they should atleast have released one for Riot Act. Skipping through the rest if they had to.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited December 2019
    I didn't buy either boxset, though I did buy the three-disc versions and then sought out the rest of the audio I needed. Someone made a nice vinyl rip of Drop In The Park that I downloaded. And someone else took the incomplete Boston 1994 show that came with Vs/Vitalogy, as well as the digital bonus tracks (that should have just been included to begin with), and made a complete show out of it. I also found an audio-rip of the MTV Unplugged DVD so I can have a higher-quality version of that. So there was some cool audio with these releases. But not enough to justify further releases. Frankly, the problem they have is they don't have many studio outtakes, evidenced by having to throw Crazy Mary onto the "expanded" version of Vs. Talk about filler. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I think it would be cool to have someone (Adam Kasper? Brett Eliason?) mix their studio albums in 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. Those mixes could be part of a super deluxe set in the future. Or just a CD/Blu Ray 2 disc ecopak...
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    strilo said:
    I think it would be cool to have someone (Adam Kasper? Brett Eliason?) mix their studio albums in 5.1 or Dolby Atmos. Those mixes could be part of a super deluxe set in the future. Or just a CD/Blu Ray 2 disc ecopak...
    A sweet 10 CD & 10 Blu-ray Box Set of this would be amazing! 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    In PJ20 they showed HD footage of the Moore(?) show from their really early years.    I've often wondered.  Did they film the whole thing?  How amazing would it be to put out a bluray of the whole show (assuming someone captured the whole thing on film).    I'd also like to see an official release of the Asian 1995 tour video that doesn't exist. 

So many cool things they could include in boxsets, or release on their own.
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 782
    I didn't buy either boxset, though I did buy the three-disc versions and then sought out the rest of the audio I needed. Someone made a nice vinyl rip of Drop In The Park that I downloaded. And someone else took the incomplete Boston 1994 show that came with Vs/Vitalogy, as well as the digital bonus tracks (that should have just been included to begin with), and made a complete show out of it. I also found an audio-rip of the MTV Unplugged DVD so I can have a higher-quality version of that. So there was some cool audio with these releases. But not enough to justify further releases. Frankly, the problem they have is they don't have many studio outtakes, evidenced by having to throw Crazy Mary onto the "expanded" version of Vs. Talk about filler. 
    Well they were all on Lost Dogs. I'd have liked all the b-sides from Ten on that box set and so on even though I already have them. Brings to light the quality of all the music during those periods. Maybe on another disc though. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • I think all of the albums should be reissued on Blu-ray Audio with 5.1 surround sound mixes and Dolby Atmos mixes. Add in the non-album tracks as bonus tracks. This would be stellar.

The surround sound mixes need to be done by an expert (like Elliot Scheiner) and NOT Adam Kasper.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder