Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Billboard has been showing up in Kansas City
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    According to people in the know on a BC fan Facebook page, next week (11th) they’re announcing the tour.  It will be the Robinsons and all new people (no one from any Crowes lineup, magpie, or brotherhood).  Tour will be based on 30th anniversary of shake your moneymaker.  They will play it in its entirety nightly.  If this is true, I’m not very excited.   I’ll go, but won’t travel or see more than one show.  It’s hard to imagine great setlists with a new band  if  over an hour is devoted to shake your moneymaker. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i'd go. i dug the show when they played here back in, oh jeez, i don't even remember when it was. don't get much opportunity to see the crowes in the peg. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    dr122931 said:
    According to people in the know on a BC fan Facebook page, next week (11th) they’re announcing the tour.  It will be the Robinsons and all new people (no one from any Crowes lineup, magpie, or brotherhood).  Tour will be based on 30th anniversary of shake your moneymaker.  They will play it in its entirety nightly.  If this is true, I’m not very excited.   I’ll go, but won’t travel or see more than one show.  It’s hard to imagine great setlists with a new band  if  over an hour is devoted to shake your moneymaker. 
    Hope that’s not true, I like Shake Your Moneymaker but it’s my least favorite Crowes album. I’d still go because It may be the last time to catch them but fingers crossed for a varied set list.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    For me it's less about Shake Your Money Maker than that they would focus on any particular album. Hired guns was strike one, knowing half or so of the setlist walking in is strike two. At this point, venue/cost is my last hope.
    forgive my possible ignorance on this, but isn't the crowes kinda like oasis, in that it was always the brothers anyway? or does the backing band really make that much of a difference?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

forgive my possible ignorance on this, but isn't the crowes kinda like oasis, in that it was always the brothers anyway? or does the backing band really make that much of a difference?
    Outside of a couple blips, they only had one drummer who was also a founding member and two bass players. If they were coming back with Steve on drums and Sven on bass, there would be significantly more excitement. 
  • forgive my possible ignorance on this, but isn't the crowes kinda like oasis, in that it was always the brothers anyway? or does the backing band really make that much of a difference?
    I read this and said to myself. Thank god, I thought I was the only one that thought this. Lol
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    I read this and said to myself. Thank god, I thought I was the only one that thought this. Lol
    to a big BC fan, this could be the equivalent of someone saying to me "who gives a shit if Jeff and Stone are in Pearl Jam, isn't it all Ed?". LOL. I could be WAY off. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

to a big BC fan, this could be the equivalent of someone saying to me "who gives a shit if Jeff and Stone are in Pearl Jam, isn't it all Ed?". LOL. I could be WAY off. 
    No, it's close. Not quite as crucial as Stone and Jeff, but close.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    pjl44 said:
    No, it's close. Not quite as crucial as Stone and Jeff, but close.

I agree, it is very close. Many hardcore BC fans are completely out on this 2020 tour.

Not me, as it may be the last chance to see them again (or maybe not).

Marc Ford on lead guitar would be a big deal breaker for many of the hard core's. If he was in they would be too.

Same can be said for Steve on drums.

I have a feeling that Adam McDougall is back on Keys though. His social media accounts have disappeared. The same as Rich Robinsons. Just a Coincidence?

Also Rumblings of Nico playing guitar with Rich. He played on the first Magpie album. So there are some former connections.

• crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    As a long time crowes fan this feels like rubbernecking to see an accident.    I don’t really want to see it, but I feel like I ought to look.
    This new Crowes without Steve is a hard pill to swallow, he’s (almost) always been the one consistent with these folks.  I can see the brothers not wanting him around after his book, but it won’t be the same.   ... and what in the world would keep them from bringing back Sven?   Marc doesn’t like the grind of the road so I imagine he’d be out (and to expensive) anyway.

I”ll go to one show just for grins, the songs will still be like old friends.   After 47 shows I’ve not heard “could I’ve been so blind” live, so this way I can mark it off the list.   sad to see them likely go to a paint by numbers setlist.    And who will they get paired with to sellout the summer sheds?   That could be a big selling point for a lot of folks.  I think Livenation bit off more than they could chew with this 2 year contract myself.   

Ohh well, let’s have that long rumored box set of besides and rarities and call it square, the Crowes have brought many of smiles to me over the years.

It is pitiful that Magpie Salute didn’t get any traction imo, so good live and a group of adventurous musicians.  But that’s in the past.

• dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    edited November 2019
    If they’re paired with another band for a shed tour as rumored, and it’s a shake your moneymaker plus 5-6 songs, this will be fucking awful.  I’ve seen the Crowes probably 15-20 times and their live shows are second to none.  But, the 2020 tour sounds like garbage.  

Chris just got divorced and he and Rich are both allegedly  broke.  I’ve followed the Crowes over the years and read/listened to many interviews.  Based on comments from the brothers, and Steve, there is no love amongst them and there is no explanation for this aside from a major cash grab. It’s sad Steve, Sven/Johnny, Marc/Luther, etc aren’t involved. Based on what credible sources are saying, no former members are involved aside from the brothers.  With all the past members, it’s really sad they can’t build a lineup from past members.  Rich just played with Sven and Marc In magpie and they just released an album, so those guys are available.  
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • Only seen them once. Will next years setlists be better than this?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • forgive my possible ignorance on this, but isn't the crowes kinda like oasis, in that it was always the brothers anyway? or does the backing band really make that much of a difference?
    It wasn't just the brothers in Oasis.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited November 2019
    Of course it was. It was the Gallagher’s band and a bunch of their mates. Even non-fans could name the brothers but wouldn’t have a clue who the other guys were. similar in many sways to the Robinson brothers.

Both sets of brothers are probably equal when it comes to sibling fighting too!
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    dr122931 said:
    If they’re paired with another band for a shed tour as rumored, and it’s a shake your moneymaker plus 5-6 songs, this will be fucking awful.  I’ve seen the Crowes probably 15-20 times and their live shows are second to none.  But, the 2020 tour sounds like garbage.  

Chris just got divorced and he and Rich are both allegedly  broke.  I’ve followed the Crowes over the years and read/listened to many interviews.  Based on comments from the brothers, and Steve, there is no love amongst them and there is no explanation for this aside from a major cash grab. It’s sad Steve, Sven/Johnny, Marc/Luther, etc aren’t involved. Based on what credible sources are saying, no former members are involved aside from the brothers.  With all the past members, it’s really sad they can’t build a lineup from past members.  Rich just played with Sven and Marc In magpie and they just released an album, so those guys are available.  
    If Marc was in fact available the brothers might have considered that but Marc is no longer a road warrior. No way he would commit to a 2 year plan with live nation. His lack of wanting to tour heavy might have impacted Rich’s decision some when pulling the plug on the Magpie touring for high water II

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    It aint the Crowes without Steve Gorman on drums. One of the best.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • goldrush said:
    Of course it was. It was the Gallagher’s band and a bunch of their mates. Even non-fans could name the brothers but wouldn’t have a clue who the other guys were. similar in many sways to the Robinson brothers.

no one can name anyone but Eddie. 
    you're right. it was The Noel Gallagher Band featuring Liam And Some Other Blokes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

goldrush said:

no one can name anyone but Eddie. 
    my point was not about star power. it was about musical contribution to the recorded output. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    watching “who killed that bird out on your windowsill.” this, and “into the fog” are go to’s.

so, crowes and ANOTHER band on tour? I hate that and hate to see who they might be paired with. jackyll?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Edved82 said:
    It aint the Crowes without Steve Gorman on drums. One of the best.

that he is. powerful.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    from watching “who killed that bird....”

johnny colt? douche?

soviet crowds were insane.

how can these fuckers be broke?

steve gorman....the man.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Check this out ...

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    ^^^are those large venues? On their last tour (2013?) They were playing the smaller venues and not even sure they were selling them out.
    Fuck, I'm in but very skeptical of it just being the Bros. I wouldnt even mind an acoustic brothers of a feather instead.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    Not sure about the venue sizes. As for the 2020 lineup there are a few things to consider.
    Marc Ford does not want to tour heavy anymore, so no chance he would be involved.
    Steve released his book, enough said. No way in mending those fences.
    im thinking BC former keyboard guy Adam is in. That’s a positive.
    also 2 members from the Magpie Salute might be involved so that’s another +
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Another thing to consider is that July is still 8 months away. That’s plenty of time for the brothers to fall out again!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Haha ... or for them to mend fences with Steve and he rejoin.
    with this band anything is possible. 
    ^^^are those large venues? On their last tour (2013?) They were playing the smaller venues and not even sure they were selling them out.
    Fuck, I'm in but very skeptical of it just being the Bros. I wouldnt even mind an acoustic brothers of a feather instead.
    Capacity of those venues is 17k and 15k, respectively. If they're going out by themselves, it seems pretty ambitious. Especially if this is a big tour. 30k+ in Jersey and Long Island over 2 nights?