U2 "Pop" re-imagined track list/LP

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
A quick request. Does anyone have a re-imagined playlist of U2's genius "Pop" record they could share? If not, I know they re-recorded several tunes and released them as the "single version" on the four or five singles that come off the record, and also know there are a few tracks that were re-recorded and mixed for the Best of 1990-2000 double LP set. There are a few tracks I'm missing in my own efforts to make my own playlist that I could use some help with. Those would be:

Holy Joe
Pop Muzik (sp?)
If You Wear That Velvet Dress *I know there is a live cut that was put on one of the singles, just can't remember which single. I'm looking for that particular cut.

Thanks in advance, hope you all are doing well!

Chris
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    look on youtube for these
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    Are you compiling Pop b-sides? I'd be interested in joining that project. I have the Discotheque and LNOE CD singles and access to others. Been wanting to gather them all in lossless format for a while. Talk over PM?
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I made one a few years ago

Discothèque (New Mix) - Best Of
    Do You Feel Loved
    Mofo
    If God Will Send His Angels (Single Mix) - From the IGWSHA Single
    Holy Joe (Garage Mix) - From the Discotheque single
    Staring at the Sun (New Mix) - Best Of
    North and South of the River -  From the SatS Single
    Last Night on Earth (First Night In Hell Mix) - From the LNOE single
    Gone (New Mix) - Best Of
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    Please (Single Mix) - From the Please Single
    Wake Up Dead Man

Added the best b-sides that worked for the sound of the record (One Shot of Happy is killer, but didn't work), added all the alt mixes from the singles and best of. Dumped Playboy Mansion and Miami.

I know we're still 2 years away from Pop's 25th, but I have to wonder if they are gonna do something for it. It was their last experimental album, and it famously worked conceptually but not in execution. All new mixes have been well received. I have to wonder if they'll re work the album and do something similar as they did for AB with demo/working versions of these songs to see how they came together.

I know we're still 2 years away from Pop's 25th, but I have to wonder if they are gonna do something for it. It was their last experimental album, and it famously worked conceptually but not in execution. All new mixes have been well received. I have to wonder if they'll re work the album and do something similar as they did for AB with demo/working versions of these songs to see how they came together.
    I don't see it, but I would LOVE it!  I feel like they talked about re-recording it, but I have no idea why.  It sounds great and is a killer album all the way through.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    I'm sure they have so many different takes and stems that they could work with Flood or Jacknife Lee to do new mixes. Something akin to this new REM Monster mix thats coming out this week. Hell, it could probably just be Edge and Jacknife

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Pop Muzik (sp?) 
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress *I know there is a live cut that was put on one of the singles, just can't remember which single. I'm looking for that particular cut.

Thanks in advance, hope you all are doing well!

Chris
    I think you might be thinking of the Live with Jools Holland version.
    https://youtu.be/gIdOpzzjlXo
    ..and yes, indeed. Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Please, If God Will Send His Angels, Gone, and Last Night On Earth all have solid (even superior) alternative versions from what was released on the album.
    I made one a few years ago

Discothèque (New Mix) - Best Of
    Do You Feel Loved
    Mofo
    If God Will Send His Angels (Single Mix) - From the IGWSHA Single
    Holy Joe (Garage Mix) - From the Discotheque single
    Staring at the Sun (New Mix) - Best Of
    North and South of the River -  From the SatS Single
    Last Night on Earth (First Night In Hell Mix) - From the LNOE single
    Gone (New Mix) - Best Of
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    Please (Single Mix) - From the Please Single
    Wake Up Dead Man

Added the best b-sides that worked for the sound of the record (One Shot of Happy is killer, but didn't work), added all the alt mixes from the singles and best of. Dumped Playboy Mansion and Miami.

Playboy Mansion (especially) and Miami are both pretty lousy.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

I doubt it as they still treat Pop like a redheaded stepchild unfortunately. They honestly sometimes are the worst judges of their own material (as evidenced by promoting some of the weaker songs as singles the last 2 albums and ignoring the stronger tracks).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Poncier said:

I doubt it as they still treat Pop like a redheaded stepchild unfortunately. They honestly sometimes are the worst judges of their own material (as evidenced by promoting some of the weaker songs as singles the last 2 albums and ignoring the stronger tracks).
    Unfortunately you are quite right. I can't see them doing much to celebrate this milestone, even though they should. Pop is their last great record in my view.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Edved82 said:
    Poncier said:

Unfortunately you are quite right. I can't see them doing much to celebrate this milestone, even though they should. Pop is their last great record in my view.
    ATYCLB is pretty great too, but not like Pop. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Edved82 said:
    Poncier said:

First half of that is stellar but it's a bit uneven. I actually quite liked "No Line On The Horizon" and "Songs of Innocence" wasn't bad, but "Experience" was awful, I thought. Couldnt get into that at all.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Edved82 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Poncier said:

First half of that is stellar but it's a bit uneven. I actually quite liked "No Line On The Horizon" and "Songs of Innocence" wasn't bad, but "Experience" was awful, I thought. Couldnt get into that at all.
    Second half of Songs of innocence is quite strong, Experience has a few good tracks, but I'm with you. Overall pretty weak.

Could have one pretty good album combining the best of the 2 and discarding the poppy dreck.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Thanks for the commentary all - working with a board member on building up a high quality alternate album. Have a pretty fucking good one going right now, just a few spots where an 'official' version is needed. The Hedges mixes on the Best of set compliment songs they didn't revisit. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I really hope they do a new mix of it for its 25th. The Hedges mixes are so good. I'd love to hear what he could do to the rest. There have to be so many alt takes and working versions to work from to build something for a critical reevaluation.