Songs That Give Us the Chills

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
I have certain songs -- sometimes it's just a moment in a song, other times it's the whole song, and other times it's a certain version (live or studio) of a song -- that never fail to give me the chills when I hear them. 

I figure that this has to happen to other people here.

What are some songs that are always certain to give you the chills?

I'll start: Billie Holiday's version of "Strange Fruit."

https://youtu.be/0mO92ll_q0k
I SAW PEARL JAM

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Moonlight Sonata -- and I also get the chills from the Immortal Beloved movie scene, for sure a favorite

Crank this up, headphones....tough to beat, for me.  Can even listen to the whole thing vs. the common short parts.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Moonlight Sonata -- and I also get the chills from the Immortal Beloved movie scene, for sure a favorite

Crank this up, headphones....tough to beat, for me.  Can even listen to the whole thing vs. the common short parts.

Ha! I was in a production of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," which lifts Moonlight Sonata for the number "Schroeder," so I can never listen to Moonlight Sonata without hearing Lucy's feigned awful singing over it. My ex played Lucy, too, just to sully it even more.

https://youtu.be/toyLQzd8HrY
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    dankind said:

Ha! I was in a production of "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," which lifts Moonlight Sonata for the number "Schroeder," so I can never listen to Moonlight Sonata without hearing Lucy's feigned awful singing over it. My ex played Lucy, too, just to sully it even more.

https://youtu.be/toyLQzd8HrY
    Don't you go ruining my song!
    Good that they cast Lucy as an annoying twat irl, as well.
    :lol:
  • There are other versions of this that are fantastic but Garanca is one of the best.

Carmen/Habenera

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/K2snTkaD64U
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    edited October 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnBNuqqz5g

ha, so the embedding only works on a desktop computer!
    Post edited by JPPJ84 on
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    This song kills me every time I hear it.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    JPPJ84 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnBNuqqz5g

ha, so the embedding only works on a desktop computer!
    Good one.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So many, but Dies Irae comes to mind first.

Fuckin' Mozart, man.
    hedonist said:

Fuckin' Mozart, man.
    There’s some amazing classical music! I have to give Mozart a try! I love the Carmina Burana, the part where the choir sets in?! Goosebumps!
    Also love a lot of soundtracks like the one from Gladiator and Lord of the Rings! The Last March of the Ents for instance is really haunting (if you love the movies I guess)
    JPPJ84 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuckin' Mozart, man.
    There’s some amazing classical music! I have to give Mozart a try! I love the Carmina Burana, the part where the choir sets in?! Goosebumps!
    Also love a lot of soundtracks like the one from Gladiator and Lord of the Rings! The Last March of the Ents for instance is really haunting (if you love the movies I guess)

You take the trouble to construct a civilization ... to ... to build a society, based on the principles of ... of principle ... you endeavor to make communicable sense out of natural order, morality out of the unnatural disorder of man's mind ... you make government and art, and realize that they are, must be, both the same ... you bring things to the saddest of all points ... to the point where there is something to lose ... then all at once, through all the music, through all the sensible sounds of men building, attempting, comes the Dies Irae. And what is it? What does the trumpet sound? Up yours. I suppose there's justice to it, after all the years.... Up yours.

--Edward Albee

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuckin' Mozart, man.

You take the trouble to construct a civilization ... to ... to build a society, based on the principles of ... of principle ... you endeavor to make communicable sense out of natural order, morality out of the unnatural disorder of man's mind ... you make government and art, and realize that they are, must be, both the same ... you bring things to the saddest of all points ... to the point where there is something to lose ... then all at once, through all the music, through all the sensible sounds of men building, attempting, comes the Dies Irae. And what is it? What does the trumpet sound? Up yours. I suppose there's justice to it, after all the years.... Up yours.

--Edward Albee

Fine! I‘m at my sister’s house in 40 minutes! I‘ll make her put it on straight away! 
    Can‘t do it now, I’m in England and not paying for the roaming :tongue:
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Falling Down
    Immortality
    Society

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2019
    My #1 of all time is K.D. Lang's Hallelujah. I really don't care for any other version very much, only because hers is so superior to them that they pale in comparison IMO. Including the original by Cohen. And this version, from the 2010 Olympic opening ceremonies, is the best performance of it for sure.

Perfect Day by Lou Reed is also a great one for me.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Love Dies Irae! Sounds awesome! Might love Carmina Burana a bit more though
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That KD version is beyond beautiful.

Also love Sinead's Three Babies.

And the opening notes to No Quarter - the whole song, really - but the beginning always makes me envision snowy grounds almost blue, darkness, wind.

DK, up yours! :whistle:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2019
    hedonist said:
    That KD version is beyond beautiful.

Also love Sinead's Three Babies.

And the opening notes to No Quarter - the whole song, really - but the beginning always makes me envision snowy grounds almost blue, darkness, wind.

DK, up yours! :whistle:
    I changed the KD version in my post because I realized I didn't post THE best version, which was her 2010 Olympic opening ceremonies performance. That's there now. Literally gives me goosebumps every time. :)

I had to go listen to No Quarter after you said that.... OOOHHHHH yeah. That really is a fantastic intro!! And really the whole song gives me chills... And now Since I've Been Loving You is playing, and it's heavenly. LZ is one of my favorite bands of all time (maybe #1, maybe #2), but I've really not listened to them for such a long time until right now, as for the past few years I've really been exploring new music (or new music to me) instead of listening to what I already know and love. I've got to remember to spin them again though - at this point it will feel fresh again. 

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The about one minute magical ride with Randy in this classic.
    Absolutely gives me the chills
    https://youtu.be/mSfNvTVEALw

• Van Morrison - Into the Mystic
    Ben Harper - The Drugs Dont Work 
    Pearl Jam - Indifference
    Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #4 (Kettles)
    The Band - It Makes No Difference (Live; The Last Waltz) 
    My Morning Jacket - Dondante 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Sirens.  Every time I hear it it reminds of the time I lost three hogs in a barn fire.  I was passed out by the rusty tractor after drinking a case of Busch that morning, but I woke up at 11:00 to the sound of not sirens- no- but by the sound of jimmy bob screaming.  He was hollering because he couldn’t find the one pig he liked to have sex with, and woohoo was he randy.  Anyway, the way Ed sings sirens it always reminds me of that morning.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Every Grain of Sand Bob Dylan
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• dankind said:

Really?

You have to explain this one to us please.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Van Morrison - Into the Mystic
    Ben Harper - The Drugs Dont Work 
    Pearl Jam - Indifference
    Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #4 (Kettles)
    The Band - It Makes No Difference (Live; The Last Waltz) 
    My Morning Jacket - Dondante 
    Nice choice:

https://youtu.be/PZ59spYH9mk