Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix

1235»

Comments

• I've just got back from seeing it, I thought it was excellent.  Joaquin Phoenix was incredible, definitely made the role his own - which is saying something given all the iconic incarnations he's up against.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mcgruff10 said:
    I haven’t seen this movie yet but for some reason I get a “clockwork orange” type of feel. Am I wrong?
    I haven't seen Clockwork for years but maybe slightly?  The violence isn't celebrated though....it's a painful story
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I never imagined a better Joker performance than Heath’s.....but god damn, this one was unfucking believable. I loved every second of this movie. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited October 2019
    CROJAM95 said:
    Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

So my wife should win the debate over whether or not to take my kid (15) to his first R rated movie?
    It’s not an easy watch, to see the worst aspects of society in your face for 2 hours... it’s unnerving , I guess you need to know what your getting into. It’s def like no other comic movie, if the guy didn’t have face paint, and the mention of Thomas Wayne throughout you wouldn’t feel like your watching a comic book film.

Taxi Driver &  King of Comedy is really what your watching... so if you think your kid can handle that, kids are all different. I do see why there is concern over the movie in this crazy world we live in.
    Definite Taxi Driver vibe. I was actually thinking of a young Deniro in the Joker role actually
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    edited October 2019

Whole theater prolonged laughter, what a scene
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Peanut butter & jelly a close second.

That scene was something.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    CROJAM95 said:
    Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

So my wife should win the debate over whether or not to take my kid (15) to his first R rated movie?
    It’s not an easy watch, to see the worst aspects of society in your face for 2 hours... it’s unnerving , I guess you need to know what your getting into. It’s def like no other comic movie, if the guy didn’t have face paint, and the mention of Thomas Wayne throughout you wouldn’t feel like your watching a comic book film.

Taxi Driver &  King of Comedy is really what your watching... so if you think your kid can handle that, kids are all different. I do see why there is concern over the movie in this crazy world we live in.
    Just saw it last night and your take on it is pretty spot on. Upon leaving the theater, my wife asked what I thought about it. Replied something to the effect of it was dark and disturbing, but that's exactly what the director was going for. When I asked her the same question, she said "Yeah, I agree. I feel like I need to go hug a puppy now." Lol
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    The music in the movie was fucking awesome!
    I think the Gary Glitter scene was my favorite part 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The music in the movie was fucking awesome!
    Great scene, not sure how I feel about them using Gary Glitter's music though....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Great scene, not sure how I feel about them using Gary Glitter's music though....
    didn't he want money from them for using the song or something, but they denied him any royalties?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The music in the movie was fucking awesome!
    didn't he want money from them for using the song or something, but they denied him any royalties?
    From what I understand, he doesn't own the rights to his music anymore.  I'm just questioning morally whether it is right to use it, like is there a line someone would have to cross before it would be deemed inappropriate?  And if there is a line, surely pedophilia would be it?  I'm not super offended, just not sure a film about someone who was abused as a child should be using that music, maybe that was the point?  
    Isn't is really the same thing as using a Michael Jackson song though? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Michael never convicted

even though paying $20M sure sounds guilty to me
  • Isn't is really the same thing as using a Michael Jackson song though? 
    Yeah, not sure what you mean by 'though'?!
    CROJAM95 said:
    Michael never convicted

even though paying $20M sure sounds guilty to me
    MJ gets a pass because he had the money to buy himself out of stuff most people would be in jail for for a long ass time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Finally saw this yesterday. Really good. Pretty sad though. From a mental health perspective, there's thousands of Arthurs out there. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Finally saw this yesterday. Really good. Pretty sad though. From a mental health perspective, there's thousands of Arthurs out there. 
    BUT THERE'S ONLY ONE JOKER
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Finally saw this yesterday. Really good. Pretty sad though. From a mental health perspective, there's thousands of Arthurs out there. 
    Truth. It's pretty fricking scary.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,416
    From what I understand, he doesn't own the rights to his music anymore.  I'm just questioning morally whether it is right to use it, like is there a line someone would have to cross before it would be deemed inappropriate?  And if there is a line, surely pedophilia would be it?  I'm not super offended, just not sure a film about someone who was abused as a child should be using that music, maybe that was the point?  
    isnt this kind of a period piece? and the song used, was it appropriate to the scene?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    I haven’t seen this movie yet but for some reason I get a “clockwork orange” type of feel. Am I wrong?
    It's nothing like A Clockwork Orange in terms of vibe or feel. It is actually pretty low key. More than anything it's a dramatic character study. The only thing it has in common with A Clockwork Orange is the anarchist theme and even with that, the feel and cause of the anarchy is completely different.
    It is also FANTASTIC! Better than ACO IMO, although I'm more of a 2001 gal, lol. I absolutely loved this movie - best movie of the year for me, easily. And I'm glad it was, because it was my most anticipated movie of the decade probably, ever since I heard Phoenix got the role. I knew the second he got it that he would kill it, and he completely lived up to my expectations.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    For sure. The part about how everyone expects people with mental illness to act like they don't have mental illness actually really got to me. Too true.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mickeyrat said:
    isnt this kind of a period piece? and the song used, was it appropriate to the scene?
    I thought it was a little weird but it still worked. The problem with that song for me is that it's harkens me back to being 10-years-old at the Spectrum for a 76ers game. It was a very common song to play during timeouts and between quarters. Frankly, the song would fit more appropriately in Space Jam than in Joker. But it worked fine considering how it's used in the film. I won't spoil how it as used though.

There's a promo video on YouTube where shots from throughout the movie are set to the song. It doesn't spoil anything....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-OLcZ4tGY
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    looks like it's getting a sequel.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    looks like it's getting a sequel.
    Joker Two: The Incels' Insurgency
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyrat said:
    I see where you're coming from, but I can't help but wonder what their intention was in using it though.  It's not like there's a shortage of great music of that era that could have worked in that scene instead.  Of course it's not impossible that maybe the news of Glitter's crimes never made it across the pond.  
    edited November 2019
    The song worked perfectly - I imagine that is the one and only reason behind using it, and that they didn't care about the rest of it. They needed the perfect song for the scene, end of story, and I'm personally very glad. I hate the practice of boycotting music because of the acts of the artist. They very well may not have even known about what you guys are talking about in any case. I didn't!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on