Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix

Comments

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• That is one of the most awful things I've ever seen.

I can't stop staring at it!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    comes out tonight. Probably won't be able to see it until the weekend though
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Just saw it... like a weird dream, not for kids

Really liked it
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

So my wife should win the debate over whether or not to take my kid (15) to his first R rated movie?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

So my wife should win the debate over whether or not to take my kid (15) to his first R rated movie?
    15 yo kids are watching much worse, lol!
    Yeah, I definitely saw worse at that age, but getting clearance to take him from the wife is the real issue.
  • Poncier said:
    Yeah, I definitely saw worse at that age, but getting clearance to take him from the wife is the real issue.
    Maybe ask the wife what she was doing at 15, lol?
    Poncier said:
    Maybe ask the wife what she was doing at 15, lol?
    I may not want to know the answer! :o
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Has anyone ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

It’s not an easy watch, to see the worst aspects of society in your face for 2 hours... it’s unnerving , I guess you need to know what your getting into. It’s def like no other comic movie, if the guy didn’t have face paint, and the mention of Thomas Wayne throughout you wouldn’t feel like your watching a comic book film.

Taxi Driver &  King of Comedy is really what your watching... so if you think your kid can handle that, kids are all different. I do see why there is concern over the movie in this crazy world we live in.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    CROJAM95 said:
    Poncier said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    not for kids

It’s not an easy watch, to see the worst aspects of society in your face for 2 hours... it’s unnerving , I guess you need to know what your getting into. It’s def like no other comic movie, if the guy didn’t have face paint, and the mention of Thomas Wayne throughout you wouldn’t feel like your watching a comic book film.

Taxi Driver &  King of Comedy is really what your watching... so if you think your kid can handle that, kids are all different. I do see why there is concern over the movie in this crazy world we live in.
    Well said. I will add that this movie does not have a single ray of sunshine. This is down right gritty and dark. You are taken for a 2 hour ride inside the mind of an extremely disturbed, delusional, psychotic, maniacal villain. There is absolutely no love or empathy in this movie. This movie will most certainly strike a few nerves with some folks. So with that being said, I will let parents with young teens make a bit of a more informed decision when taking them to see this one. As for the movie itself. I personally thought it was absolutely amazing. Growing up a big comic book fan, I feel as though we finally got the Joker we have been long waiting for. Don't go in on this one expecting the Killing Joke storyline origin, but this is absolutely the next best thing. Unbelievable performance by Phoenix. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I just saw this. Incredible acting by Phoenix. Disturbing film in many ways. Tough one to process. 
    I think this looks like a great movie, but one I'd rather watch at home than with a crowd
    The MCU is pretty much a nothing-burger for me, but I've always liked the "superhero" that is mortal and uses brawn and brain ... batman and punisher fall under this category.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Absolutely loved the movie
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    AO Scott takedown piece.  I want to see it to make up my own mind, the trailers look good

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/movies/joker-review.html
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    AO Scott takedown piece.  I want to see it to make up my own mind, the trailers look good

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/movies/joker-review.html
    Lot of critics slamming it. Definitely worth seeing to form your own opinion. 
    comes out tonight. Probably won't be able to see it until the weekend though
    i didn't get a chance to see it this weekend. I'm thinking of seeing it on Tuesday after work. I get done at 3 and there's a movie theater in the shopping center where i work. And there is a showing at 3 so that should work out.

On a sidenote it made $93 and a half million this weekend at the box office.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    All the publicity and talk on both sides has made me lose interest in seeing this movie.  It is already exhausting.  I'll watch eventually.  I did enjoy the original "King of Comedy". 
    All the publicity and talk on both sides has made me lose interest in seeing this movie.  It is already exhausting.  I'll watch eventually.  I did enjoy the original "King of Comedy". 
    Forget all the side noise. Just see it. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I saw it yesterday and thought it was great.  I mean one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Interesting twist at the end with how he originally hooks up with Batman
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I saw it yesterday and thought it was great.  I mean one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I am pretty positive that this will be good and not sure why anyone wouldn't like it?
    I saw it yesterday and thought it was great.  I mean one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I am pretty positive that this will be good and not sure why anyone wouldn't like it?
    It's not a batman movie for sure.  You could have no knowledge of the batman/joker story and not be lost at all.

I would call it a psychological thriller.  I'm not sure if the young adult crowd will like it much but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a deep and painful story.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • I saw it yesterday and thought it was great.  I mean one of the best movies I have ever seen.

It's not a batman movie for sure.  You could have no knowledge of the batman/joker story and not be lost at all.

I would call it a psychological thriller.  I'm not sure if the young adult crowd will like it much but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a deep and painful story.
    I've always been a fan of the Joker and his comic stories so I like that it is psychological.

I've always been a fan of the Joker and his comic stories so I like that it is psychological.
    I think you'll really like it then. Don't take a restroom break though. 

The director is the guy that did the Hangover movies, Old School, etc.  Great music selection with this movie too.

This is why I only see movies at an Alamo Drafthouse. Sucks for those that don’t have one nearby. Hell, I sill have to drive an hour plus to my “local” one, but it’s worth it. Eating & drinking sounds don’t bother me, that’s just white noise I can block out. Talking though, I fucking HATE YOU if you talk in the theatre. Alamo doesn’t put up with it, they’ll kick your ass out.
    We have  Flix Brewhouse here which I love.  Press a button and a beer (or food) gets delivered to your seat/counter.  I love it.

And...you can get a large bag of popcorn for $6, pint of beer (made in house) for $5.  

i liked it a lot. I can def. can see Joaquin getting at least an Oscar nom for this.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I haven’t seen this movie yet but for some reason I get a “clockwork orange” type of feel. Am I wrong?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......