Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,831

So far im loving the book, Hard to put down.

By the time I get the kids to bed and watch a little television I am usually whipped and in no mood to read.

Last night I found myself finishing a chapter and putting the book down, only to tell myself one more and then Ill sleep.

And then another. and another.

Ha! Think you just sold me on needing to read it
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    jjflash said:

So far im loving the book, Hard to put down.

By the time I get the kids to bed and watch a little television I am usually whipped and in no mood to read.

Last night I found myself finishing a chapter and putting the book down, only to tell myself one more and then Ill sleep.

And then another. and another.

Ha! Think you just sold me on needing to read it

HAHA

Im really enjoying the beginning/early years and Steve's stories of meeting Chris and living together etc.

They were very very close in those days. 

Cant believe in the end it came down to Chris asking him to give up his share % of the band.

• I read an interview with Chris before this book came out. He basically laughed it off and said that Steve was simply in the right place, right time. He said that all songs were written by the Robinson brothers, so not to take too much stock in what is in the book.

However, since you all are enjoying it, I might have to give it a read.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I read an interview with Chris before this book came out. He basically laughed it off and said that Steve was simply in the right place, right time. He said that all songs were written by the Robinson brothers, so not to take too much stock in what is in the book.

However, since you all are enjoying it, I might have to give it a read.

No, Chris gave very little credit to Rich and implied that he did the lions share of the work. Anybody familiar with their solo material and the nature of 90% of the Crowes catalog knows that’s one of the bigger lies CR has peddled.

from what I have read in Steve's book so far he's even giving the bulk credit to Chris in the songwriting/structuring.

Rich would come up with a tune and Chris would be the architect of it. 

• @DewieCox Forgive me for posting in what apparently is your thread. I'll just state my case here and keep out of your club from now on.

"You know, Rich [Robinson, guitar] and I wrote the songs. I'm the one that lived the life, as well. So to have someone's view from the sideline or someone's view who wasn't at those parties or didn't live that life or didn't create anything is going to be much different than the person's who has."

That's the interview I am talking about, talking negatively about Steve, NOT Rich. I know all about the drama over the years, and I have seen them both together and solo many, many times.

Take it easy.
    @DewieCox Forgive me for posting in what apparently is your thread. I'll just state my case here and keep out of your club from now on.

"You know, Rich [Robinson, guitar] and I wrote the songs. I'm the one that lived the life, as well. So to have someone's view from the sideline or someone's view who wasn't at those parties or didn't live that life or didn't create anything is going to be much different than the person's who has."

That's the interview I am talking about, talking negatively about Steve, NOT Rich. I know all about the drama over the years, and I have seen them both together and solo many, many times.

Take it easy
    Well, I guess what he says depends on who he’s trying to offend. In another interview around the time Rich turned down a Crowes reunion and CR took that ATCF abortion on the road he basically took credit for 90% of their material. 

I don’t care who’s selling, I’m not buying that CR was building those songs from the ground up with pieces supplied by RR. I’m sure there were plenty of arrangement decisions based around his vocals and I’m sure he had plenty of say so. I just find it highly unlikely he did as much as he claims, given what I’ve heard from them musically through their entire careers. 

Im sure it was a group effort at the end of the day.

Sometimes Rich supplying more input on one song and Chris on another.

But Who cares really. Its a great catalogue of music and I am just happy we got as much of it as we did.

In a perfect world, they would have just gotten a long better and we'd still have tours and albums coming out.

• tusevuntusevun Posts: 217
    their first 4 albums, imo, are up there with any other band not named pj, lz and the stones. not a huge fan of bys, lions or anything after though. 
    Their first 4 albums are up there with anyone’s.
    DewieCox said:
    Their first 4 albums are up there with anyone’s.

I agree with this.

I also love Lions and Warpaint.

Looks like it’s definitely happening again. YouTube video of the bro’s together signing autographs for a fan.

Pardon Me ?

where can I find this?

wow ... I wasn't sure id see the day.

Not sure how to feel. Reading the Gorman book brings up a lot of different feelings about these guys.

But Still love the Crowes and wasn't able to get to see much of them in the past, growing up in Canada, so Id be ok with a little reunion of sorts. Now that I am a little older and have some disposable income to spend on travel.

DewieCox said:
    Looks like it’s definitely happening again. YouTube video of the bro’s together signing autographs for a fan.
    Hey Dewie. Seeing them together gives reason for optimism, but curious how you infer "definitely happening again"? Are there more clues floating around other than the YouTube video? Given that they're brothers/family I wouldn't put too much stock in a reunion happening based on them traveling together by car. Maybe they walked out of a studio or something? Hope there are more crumbs out there that lead to an album bread trail.
    edited October 2019
    jjflash said:
    DewieCox said:
    Hey Dewie. Seeing them together gives reason for optimism, but curious how you infer "definitely happening again"? Are there more clues floating around other than the YouTube video? Given that they're brothers/family I wouldn't put too much stock in a reunion happening based on them traveling together by car. Maybe they walked out of a studio or something? Hope there are more crumbs out there that lead to an album bread trail.

Plenty of other little things that add up to being more than coincidental imo. 

Far as Magpie stuff...Magistro is working on another project. MFF wanted extensive time off the road. Rich said they wouldn’t be touring the album until next year and I would imagine that either needs financed or RR joining back up with CR was a match that burned them to the ground. According to a FB post from Fords mom, TMS is done though. 

Black Crowes Twitter corrected their handle from @tBlackCrowes to @TheBlackCrowes  after several years dormant.

CR and Oven Mitts kissed and made up after splitting up CRB. 

Maybe, and its a huge maybe,  they’re simply working on the rarities set they were planning for the 25th anniversary before it fell apart. It’s a possibility, as I think it would be the best way for them to generate as much money for themselves with as little as possible going to Gorman. Gorman would get a nice payday for sitting in his duff, if they tour. 

The Robinson Brothers are together in Nashville and rehearsing there. Sounds like this was already in the works before Neal passed away. From what I have seen they are auditioning people for the roles of ... Steve, Marc, Sven etc.

It sounds like it may be an entirely new line-up besides the 2 brothers.

Even though Adam and CR have made up, also seems Adam may be out.

Hope they can nab Marcus King for the lead guitar spot. Truly a dude that can cover all eras.

Ya Marcus would be good.

I was really hoping for Marc to be on board with Sven on bass.

Already knew there was basically no hope in hell that Steve would be in after reading this book.

• RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    If there is something happening I'd guess they wouldn't want to make a big deal out of it until after the Magpie Salute album comes out, assuming it's still set for release in a couple weeks.
    I am wired and fading...
    Ya, its still set for release. Will it get a tour though? Doesn't seem likely
    DewieCox said:
    Hope they can nab Marcus King for the lead guitar spot. 
    +1
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Love to hear this news.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I am utterly shocked by this. I don't follow the BC that much, but I thought they were on the same level of hatred or at least close as the Gallagher brothers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    DewieCox said:
    jjflash said:
    DewieCox said:

Far as Magpie stuff...Magistro is working on another project. MFF wanted extensive time off the road. Rich said they wouldn’t be touring the album until next year and I would imagine that either needs financed or RR joining back up with CR was a match that burned them to the ground. According to a FB post from Fords mom, TMS is done though. 

Black Crowes Twitter corrected their handle from @tBlackCrowes to @TheBlackCrowes  after several years dormant.

Maybe, and its a huge maybe,  they’re simply working on the rarities set they were planning for the 25th anniversary before it fell apart. It’s a possibility, as I think it would be the best way for them to generate as much money for themselves with as little as possible going to Gorman. Gorman would get a nice payday for sitting in his duff, if they tour. 

how is it a band of this stature has only 8000 followers on twitter?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    DewieCox said:
    jjflash said:
    DewieCox said:

8001 now
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    DewieCox said:
    jjflash said:
    DewieCox said:

I’d say it has some to do with no real social media activity and some to do with the target demographic.
    Ya, its still set for release. Will it get a tour though? Doesn't seem likely
    Rich said last week they wouldn’t tour until next year. I know MF wanted extensive time off of the road and the rumors about TBC is that it’s mostly a completely new lineup. I don’t think there’s much of a possibility that they’ll tour again, but maybe they all agreed that a TBC tour and some down time would be good for the long term health of TMS. Seems like too many feathers were ruffled for it to be a group decision though.
    edited October 2019

And word has it the BC new reincarnation is a 2 year deal. So that means 2 years without Magpie touring for this new album. It would seem strange for Them to tour High Water II (released 2019) and tour for it in 2022.

I wonder if CR will try to insert Tony Leone on Drums. Seems to be his man or go to with everything he does now

(CRB, GLR and ATCF).

Rich would likely try to nix that idea.