4.    I Am Mine
5.    Wishlist
6.    Indifference w/ Kelly Slater
7.    Wildflowers-(Petty)
8.    Immortality
9.    Just Breathe w/ Red Limo
10.    Help-(Lennon, McCartney)
11.    Corduroy w/Red Limo
12.    Happy Birthday to Rani-(Hill, Hill, Oren, Forman)
13.    Can’t Keep w/Red Limo
14.    Black w/ Glen Hansard, Red Limo
15.    Lukin w/Red Limo
16.    Porch w/Red Limo
Improv Jeremy-Red Limo only
17.    Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison) w/Red Limo
18.    Better Man/(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding-(Lowe)/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) w/Red Limo
19.    Song Of Good Hope-(Hansard) w/ Glen Hansard, Red Limo
20.    Society-(Hannan) w/Glen Hansard, Red Limo
21.    Hard Sun-(Peterson) w/Glen Hansard, Red Limo, Kelly Slater and guests
22.    Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) w/ Brendan Canty, Red Limo, Glen Hansard and guests

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John, for the set list and notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited September 2019
    It was a gorgeous night on the beach. Another strong performance by EV. The strings add a nice additional layer to the show he’s been doing for most of the decade now. Black was worth the price of admission alone. It was absolutely magical. I also thought the version of Indifference with Kelly Slater, played on dual acoustic guitars and given more of a bluesy feel, was also out of this world. 

Ed said they are planning to do it again next year so it’s becoming a nice SoCal tradition. I’d like to see him shake it up next year (and also if he does additional solo shows). Whether it’s with the band or his solo work, it would really be nice to get some new material. If there’s not going to be new material, maybe do the show with a small band. That would bring something new and he can put together players and arrangements that provide a different feel from his day job. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • He also sang Smile in Glen Hansard’s set.  That was a nice surprise.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • This was my fourth straight year seeing Eddie at Ohana Fest. All the other years were great but I thought this was his best performance of the four. Setlist was superb. Black, Indifference, Wildflowers, Walking the Cow, Corduroy were personal highlights but everything was outstanding. Eddie was in a really good mood tonight and told a number of touching stories. One was about sitting around on a loveseat (Eddie didn’t want to call it a “loveseat” though, haha) with Chris Cornell listening to Daniel Johnston back in Seattle. Eddie’s mom was also in attendance; he brought her out on stage mid-set and then she came out and joined the other guests during Hard Sun (picture below).  Really beautiful moment. 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Having a great time here @ Ohana, thought Ed sounded great last night. Such a cool, laid back, easy access to everything festival. This whole area is really nice... hoping for a few more surprises on Sunday 
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Great time! The Messthetics, Mudhoney and Laura Jane Grace were all highlights through out the day and Eddie was fantastic. Couduroy with the strings was amazing and loved his Daniel Johnston story and Walking the cow. Lovely day and festival!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Awesome fest! Keep it going:) Eddie sounded great. The only problem I had was the group that played that shitty song about Chicago. Fuck them.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Awesome fest! Keep it going:) Eddie sounded great. The only problem I had was the group that played that shitty song about Chicago. Fuck them.
    Sorry man, but that song was hilarious! 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    So as for EV he sounded great, the setlist was good. Red Limo to the states was awesome! Europe was lucky to have them all summer. Really beautiful rendition of Black. It was stunning. 

The festival itself.....Incredibly disappointing... for a large number of reasons but to stay on point of fanview..

They have a hard curfew of 10. What in the f*** is that?? Every other festival I have ever attended goes to 11 or sometimes in big ones like 1 or 2 in the morning or later.

What appeared to be a 3 hour EV slot was in actuality 2 hours. 

EV, great despite a pretty standard set.

Ohana, below average festival. Wouldn't go again. Just an entire litany of complaints about it in addition to how short it is.

On another note.. man Hasard is amazing. He got a new fan. 

• tbergs said:
    Awesome fest! Keep it going:) Eddie sounded great. The only problem I had was the group that played that shitty song about Chicago. Fuck them.
    Sorry man, but that song was hilarious! 
    The Chicago song was hilarious!!!  Man, that dude really does not care for that city...I bet Ed was cracking up when he heard that one!
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    I've gone every year so far, this was the best. Setlist was way better than years past with Black, Corduroy and Help. Toss in Hard to Imagine with the Strokes, wow! I love this festival. Not sure I understand what some people don't like? We camp in the campground each year, so its perfect for us. Cant wait for the next one!
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 703
    Had an amazing time. Not a huge music festival person, but if there’s anyone to go to it’s this one. Laid back atmosphere in a great location. VIP is 100% worth it! Hands down nicest bathrooms I’ve ever been in for a concert. Awesome area to lounge and watch the surfers or some amazing music. Eddie sounded great. Can’t wait to go back. 
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    So as for EV he sounded great, the setlist was good. Red Limo to the states was awesome! Europe was lucky to have them all summer. Really beautiful rendition of Black. It was stunning. 

The festival itself.....Incredibly disappointing... for a large number of reasons but to stay on point of fanview..

They have a hard curfew of 10. What in the f*** is that?? Every other festival I have ever attended goes to 11 or sometimes in big ones like 1 or 2 in the morning or later.

Ohana, below average festival. Wouldn't go again. Just an entire litany of complaints about it in addition to how short it is.

Curious to know what you found disappointing about it. I go to a ton of festivals and Ohana is by far the easiest, most laid-back, most chill one. I love the fact that there are only two stages right next to each other, so you never have to miss a set and never have much downtime between sets. Restrooms are super accessible, beer and food lines are never very long, hydration stations are never packed, hell I walked out of there with a bunch of free drinks from the Bai station so I didn't even need to fill my water bottle. Lots of people who don't need to be on the rail sit up in the beach towel area and chill most of the day within perfect view of the stages, which is awesome. Yeah the curfew is what it is, but that's a city/beach thing, nothing Eddie or the other festival organizers can do about it. It's not like you get shorter sets, though; headliners at festivals rarely go over two hours, Eddie's two-hour set is the same as it would be if the festival ended at 11 (he'd just start at 8:55 instead of 7:55).
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • So as for EV he sounded great, the setlist was good. Red Limo to the states was awesome! Europe was lucky to have them all summer. Really beautiful rendition of Black. It was stunning. 

Curious to know what you found disappointing about it. I go to a ton of festivals and Ohana is by far the easiest, most laid-back, most chill one. I love the fact that there are only two stages right next to each other, so you never have to miss a set and never have much downtime between sets. Restrooms are super accessible, beer and food lines are never very long, hydration stations are never packed, hell I walked out of there with a bunch of free drinks from the Bai station so I didn't even need to fill my water bottle. Lots of people who don't need to be on the rail sit up in the beach towel area and chill most of the day within perfect view of the stages, which is awesome. Yeah the curfew is what it is, but that's a city/beach thing, nothing Eddie or the other festival organizers can do about it. It's not like you get shorter sets, though; headliners at festivals rarely go over two hours, Eddie's two-hour set is the same as it would be if the festival ended at 11 (he'd just start at 8:55 instead of 7:55).

Didn't attend, so I shouldn't pipe in, but I want to sat kudos to you, walkunafraid: mellow fests are the only ones worth going. They're rare.  

Also, I've been a critic of his latter day solo antics (last couple, few years?), but eddie sounds pretty damn good in these vids (and he's hyped to be there)
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    What sort of set did the RHCP play?? Greatest hits? Mix of old and new? 2 hr set? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

What complaints do you have?   Might go next year but its a long way to travel so im trying to hear all kinds of reviews
  • Green Disease ReduxGreen Disease Redux Posts: 390
    edited October 2019
    2nd Ohana fest for me and the location is beautiful, absolutely great unique spot for this type of concert. Only went for the main headliners (strokes, incubus/ev, nathanial ratcliffe/rhcp) as we had kids with us and they wouldn’t have lasted all day. 

But that said it is very family friendly there were lots of kids, even babies (not sure i’d recommend). 
    I really enjoyed EV set, immorality, walking the cow tribute and story about cornell were highlights for me.  This year definitely seemed more crowded then the previous year.  I’ve caught EV at 3 different festivals in the last few years (pilgramage, bourbon beyond and ohana) and to be honest I enjoyed the festival layout of pilgramage the best, wasn’t crowded and I don’t remember the beers being $13.00 like ohana. 

Anyway as it seems the guys are doing more solo stuff these days we will likely try to do ohana again next year as the family loves Dana point/laguana beach but I would love to see more Pearl Jam shows or some new music by even EV, as at this point nothing is really a major surprise at the shows (I know it’s spoiled to complain about song selection) but even the solo shows could use a bit of a refresh.

Also if you haven’t check Nathanial Ratcliffe and the Nightsweats they put on a great show, RHCP were ok was interesting hear Flea do the needle and the damage done 😂 

*also the merch stuff is out of control, adults lining up at 7am to get zippos and water bottles....
    Post edited by Green Disease Redux on
  • This was my third year going to Ohana.  I found this year to be absolutely amazing.  It is so kicked-back, filled with super nice people, and just a great vibe for all three days.  Though I am one content at being in the back near the "No Beach Towels Beyond This Point" signs.  The Strokes were fun -- something seemed to be going on with Casablancas.  It was my first time seeing them live so I wasn't sure if he was grumpy or just being playful.  I read somewhere that he changed some lyrics to "I'll never play here again" but he's kind of a mumbler through lyrics so I didn't pick up on that.  Ed singing Hard to Imagine and then joining for Juicebox was spectacular.  JC seemed giddy about having Ed join them.  
    Saturday was pretty epic.  Fun appearances by Ed and then a great setlist that night.  Sunday again so much fun.  Kind of a late arriving crowd on Sunday.  The highlights outside of the headliners for me were:  Tash Sultana -- Wow.  serious talent., Glen Hansard, Nathaniel Rateliff, and Lukas Nelson.  
    Everything about this festival was easy.  Even the merch.  I bought some stuff right away on Friday later afternoon with maybe one person in front of me.  Picked up a water bottle for someone later on.  Literally never waited more than five minutes.  Lots of fun festival freebies (sunglasses, koozies, sustainability kits, customized Ohana bandanas).  I will keep going to Ohana as long as Ed makes it happen.  Such a positive, kicked back, easy going environment.  I saw lots of people with kids.  I have three kids.  I promise all of you as "cool" as it seems to take your kids -- it's even cooler to ditch the kids with grandma and go with your spouse!  Amazing weekend.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Kylerton80Kylerton80 California Posts: 2
    This was my first Ohana Fest and my first time ever seeing Eddie! I have been a fan of Pearl Jam since I was 12 years old in 1992.  27 years later, I finally got to see him perform -- serious dream come true! This show was incredible. The weather was great, the venue was great, Eddie was amazing and I even caught glimpses of Jill, Olivia, and Lily Cornell (Olivia and Lily brushed right by me walking through the crowd). 
    Something about singing along to songs with EV is just such a gift to the soul. He is so talented, genuine, and kind hearted and I love that I have grown up with his music. I hope to see him perform live again in the years to come! Anyone think there will be a Pearl Jam tour in 2020?

hold on to the thread, the currents will shift...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Just got back from Cali today and need to do a full review at some point, but EV was excellent! Someone else mentioned Glen, and man, I was impressed. That guy is amazing. I loved his whole set. I also really enjoyed Benjamin Booker. Lots of great stories and experiences to share later, including the brawl that happened at the main stage when Donovan Frankenreiter was at the Tiki Stage. Took forever for security to show up while 3 guys had that drunk idiot pinned down.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Been trying to get on here to post a review, just haven't made time. First trip to Ohana and I'm already looking forward to next year! The venue was great, I liked the side by side stage setup. And appreciated they designated areas for laying blankets and beach towels to keep the area closer to the stage from becoming a sea of unattended placeholders.

The only complaint I had was with the general process of getting in on Saturday (the only day we went). We arrived early as to get a poster, etc, and merch seemed to run pretty smoothly. But we waited in one line. THen they moved us to wait in another line. Then when we thought we were going to get in, we started moving into lanes for checking bags and getting the wand. But then all was halted again. That part seemed pretty unorganized. I shouldn't be surprised that adults are running and trying to scurry past one another or circumvent the wand for rail, or inside merch, whatever, but the crazies were there. Like a bunch of teeny-boppers at a New Kids show.

Most importantly, the music and sound was great. I'd seen Glen a number of times, and he was stellar. I honestly didn't know much about the earlier acts of the day, but I don't think there was an act I didn't enjoy. Incubus was better than I'd anticipated. I like them, but not in a way I seek them out. As a casual fan, I thought the setlist was good and I heard more songs of theirs I knew than I thought I might.

Eddie came out and I don't know if it was nerves, or what, but he had to restart a song or two, messed up lyrics a few times in the first few songs. Jitters? This is to be expected by now that he'll miss some stuff, but it happened in a small period of time and went just past the "ha ha, that's funny and cute" point. But about that time, he found something, and it was smooth sailing and 100% fire for the evening. My highlight was probably when he came out during Glen's set and played Smile. A song that has a soft place in my heart, so was really awesome.

Red Limo was a superb addition. He's had strings on his solo tours before in the US, but not in as big a role as I recall. As others have stated, this is a good addition with a solo show that while amazing, needs some mixing up. Indifference had a really awesome feel to it, almost bluesy. Walking the Cow was incredible. I've known the song for 15-20 years from some bootleg, but never knew the story of the songwriter. 

Stories. Some get impatient with the storytelling, but it's what keeps me coming back to Ed's solo shows. He did a pretty good job of not going into a lot of political territory. That doesn't bother me, but it was evident he was trying to keep some peace and encourage participation in the process rather than blast anyone in particular. (Glen, also a great storyteller).

RIAFW, love the song, loved even more that it was a shortened version :) The only thing good about that 10:00 curfew was forcing that song to not go 7 minutes + :lol:

It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • What sort of set did the RHCP play?? Greatest hits? Mix of old and new? 2 hr set? 
    You can find their set list on setlist.fm

They only played 80 minutes but they were awesome.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • S.O.S. (Too Bad)
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I travelled to Ohana Fest from Ireland. It was my first time attending, and third time seeing Eddie solo. I am seriously considering returning in 2020.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022