Options

Turntable Recommendations

Shumway35Shumway35 Milton, Ontario Posts: 324
I am looking at updating my turntable and was wondering if there are any recommendations. 

Thanks 
2000 - Toronto 
2005 - St. John's 2
2006 - Toronto 1 & 2 
2009 - Toronto 
2011 - Toronto 1 
2013 - Pittsburgh,  Buffalo
2014 - Detroit 
2016 - Ottawa, Toronto 1, Wrigley 1 
2018 - Wrigley 1 & 2
2019 - Ohana Festival 
2022 - Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Nashville 

Comments

• Options
    What are looking to spend? What do you have now (need to know what you mean by 'upgrade')?

• Options
    Totally depends on your budget. Can’t begin to give you advice until you give us an idea.
  • Options
    As others have said, budget determines recommendations. 

However, I'll tell you I am happy with my Technics SL-1200 MK5 Turntable. It's a little old school, but reliable and sounds decent for the price. Several useful mods available through KAB (google it). 

I also considered a Uturn, Pro-Ject and Rega, but ultimately went with the Technics. No regrets other than I don't spin it enough as I should as of late. 
  • Options
    What are looking to spend? What do you have now (need to know what you mean by 'upgrade')?

Looking to spend a max of $1000 - any recommendations on brand , etc would be great 

2000 - Toronto 
    2005 - St. John's 2
    2006 - Toronto 1 & 2 
    2009 - Toronto 
    2011 - Toronto 1 
    2014 - Detroit 
    2018 - Wrigley 1 & 2
    2019 - Ohana Festival 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    I am not 100% happy with my Project Carbon Debut with red Ortofon cartridge, but for the money ($400- $450 today) I haven't found anything that can beat it.  My biggest issue is with slight motor noise that can be heard during quiet passages, but it's not as bad as it had been since getting the turntable as level as possible. If I did not have a turntable today, that is likely what I would buy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I  have been I have been looking at audio technica products. Any feedback ?
    2000 - Toronto 
    2005 - St. John's 2
    2006 - Toronto 1 & 2 
    2009 - Toronto 
    2011 - Toronto 1 
    2014 - Detroit 
    2018 - Wrigley 1 & 2
    2019 - Ohana Festival 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    brianlux said:
    I am not 100% happy with my Project Carbon Debut with red Ortofon cartridge, but for the money ($400- $450 today) I haven't found anything that can beat it.  My biggest issue is with slight motor noise that can be heard during quiet passages, but it's not as bad as it had been since getting the turntable as level as possible. If I did not have a turntable today, that is likely what I would buy.
    Motor noise issue was fixed with the DC model (about 5 or so years ago). I have that model. Silent as silent can be. Absolutely love it. With the amount of cheddar the OP is willing to spend, he could upgrade to the Esprit model and still have money left over to upgrade the cartridge (blue, maybe even black).

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/the-difference-between-pro-ject-debut-carbon-debut-and-carbon-dc-turntables
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,996
    https://www.fluance.com/rt85w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

These were out of stock all year until recently. I have one, it’s great, and it has some convenience features (speed control, auto stop) that you won’t find on other comparable-sounding tables. There are some cheaper model options but the 85 is by far the best value. Jump on it before they’re gone. 
  • Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    Love my Pro-ject. Here's my Debut Carbon Esprit SB in action. The factory installed Speed Box (SB) makes all the difference in the world if you like to switch up your RPMs without futzing with the belt.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,102
    edited September 2019
    I used a Denon DP-300F.  I originally purchased it because it was a low end audiophile table that was automatic.   It's fairly hard to find better tables with auto features these days.  I bought it with an upgraded Ortofon Red Cartridge (which I recently upgraded to Blue).  It's a great player.

The only issue I know of with it is the stock cartridge.   It's pretty mediocre.  You kind of need to buy one and immediately upgrade the cartridge/needle (which is super easy).

If I were looking for a cheaper player (sub $400) I'd probably go with an Audio Technica LP120 or whatever the new version of it is that recently came out.

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the feedback ! 
    2000 - Toronto 
    2005 - St. John's 2
    2006 - Toronto 1 & 2 
    2009 - Toronto 
    2011 - Toronto 1 
    2014 - Detroit 
    2018 - Wrigley 1 & 2
    2019 - Ohana Festival 
  • Options
    I have the Rega RP3 with the Ortofon Blue, but the new model is the Rega P3.  I think the turntable is solid in every way.  Parts can be upgraded, which is great since it doesn't require having to purchase a new turntable if something basic was to be upgraded, such as a new platter.  I wish I had the new model P3, but only because of the automatic speed change, which isn't solely enough reason to upgrade.

If you're going to upgrade, make a worthwhile jump, so you won't have to play the upgrade game again in 5 years.
  • Options
    Shumway35 said:

Looking to spend a max of $1000 - any recommendations on brand , etc would be great 

Pioneer PLX-1000 runs about $700. I’ve never heard one bad review from anyone who owns one.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Audio Technica LP-120 is nice.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Cut a U-Turn Orbit, with your budget you can get a custom with very nice cartridge and still not spend near $1,000
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    I have a Rega RP1 and love it. Paid around $650 for the turntable plus an upgraded cartridge. Sounds fantastic and looks great too. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have Rega P1 with upgraded stylus and mat - around $700 CDN.  Now they have the P2 available which is essentially the same thing for around $799  CDN.  Great table.