My Living Organ Donor Story

1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
edited November 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
Three days ago I went under the knife to donate 68% of my liver to my Brother-In-Law.   He had a pre-existing genetic liver disease which results in the development of cancer in approximately 10% of afflicted patients. Luckily, they were screening him regularly and caught the cancer early, therefore making him eligible for a living donor.  He would have needed one eventually but the cancer expedited the process.
i am currently recovering in the Toronto General Hospital and I am doing great.  More importantly, my Brother-In-Law is also doing great and has accepted the liver.  A full recovery for both of us is expected.  I am in the process of being moved from the post-op step down unit to a hospital room for the next 3 nights.
I am posting this because the PJ Faithful are a charitable bunch and I want to spread the word on the living donor liver and kidney programs around the world. 
This hospital in Toronto is a world leader however excellent programs are available from UPMC in Pittsburgh and in South Korea for instance.

Speaking for myself, being a living donor and saving someone’s life is the greatest thing I have ever done. There are people who donate organs to people they DON’T KNOW.   Those are the real heroes.   Once again, this is not intended for me to get unnecessary adulation, I just want more folks to be aware of the programs and perhaps we can save lives.   You don’t have to be deceased to provide a liver or a kidney and I can tell you first-hand,  the small amount of discomfort is worth saving another’s life!

Cheers everyone 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    That’s awesome.  Congrats to both you and your BiL on successful surgeries.  I hope you both mend fast.

Thank you for dropping knowledge about living donations as well.  I regularly donate blood, but I’ll look into other possibilities as well.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • That’s awesome.  Congrats to both you and your BiL on successful surgeries.  I hope you both mend fast.

Thank you for dropping knowledge about living donations as well.  I regularly donate blood, but I’ll look into other possibilities as well.
    Cheers! I honestly had no idea... that your liver grows back. They can take up to 70% of it. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think anyone who gives of themselves - so literally! - is heroic.  So if you won't pat yourself on the back, I will ;)

My brother-in-law has had three kidney transplants, with one donated by someone he works with.  Just amazing to me.

As to the liver growing back, it should be clarified that some regeneration can occur only with a transplant.  Having cirrhosis myself, my docs have told me this time and again.  I'm thankful I'm not at the point again where a transplant was a real possibility.

I hope you both continue to heal well, and that your BIL's health worries are mostly behind him.

I've always been a donor, but these days I doubt much, if anything, in this body of mine would be much use =)
  • hedonist said:
    I think anyone who gives of themselves - so literally! - is heroic.  So if you won't pat yourself on the back, I will ;)

My brother-in-law has had three kidney transplants, with one donated by someone he works with.  Just amazing to me.

As to the liver growing back, it should be clarified that some regeneration can occur only with a transplant.  Having cirrhosis myself, my docs have told me this time and again.  I'm thankful I'm not at the point again where a transplant was a real possibility.

I hope you both continue to heal well, and that your BIL's health worries are mostly behind him.

I've always been a donor, but these days I doubt much, if anything, in this body of mine would be much use =)
    Thank you. I’m having a rough afternoon. 2 days post-Op and your  kind words were a real boost. 
    And you are correct, the liver will only regenerate in the transplant process and only once. They took the entire B side of my liver and left
    fhe A side.   The live will regenerate to be one A side and look differently, however function the same.’

• hedonist said:

This whole post is amazing.  What modern medicine can do to save a life boggles my mind.  I too am an organ donor.  I'm no saint and have abused my body.  The miraculous aspect of all that is that so much of your body can be used, your skin, your muscle . . . everything.  You can't take it with you folks, consider being an organ donor today.  
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    As someone who needs a new liver eventually, good fucking job. You should feel good and pat yourself on the back. 
  • Im blown away by this selfless  act. A real life hero in my eyes. * tip of the hat 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • hedonist said:

This whole post is amazing.  What modern medicine can do to save a life boggles my mind.  I too am an organ donor.  I'm no saint and have abused my body.  The miraculous aspect of all that is that so much of your body can be used, your skin, your muscle . . . everything.  You can't take it with you folks, consider being an organ donor today.  
    This^^^^
    Im right there with you, although I took great strides in taking care of myself the past
    18 months. My naturopath has been a great help in that aspect. 
    Sign your organ donor card (in Alberta it is on our health care card)
  • As someone who needs a new liver eventually, good fucking job. You should feel good and pat yourself on the back. 
    My fingers are crossed for you.  
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2019
    Im blown away by this selfless  act. A real life hero in my eyes. * tip of the hat 
    Thank you... but to me if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have hoped someone could/would have helped me (with an “O” blood type of course).
    The kindness of the folks in the Jamily does not surprise me.  Both the recipient (BiL) and I will be more charitable individuals going forward.   Love is here to be spread... and although I can’t donate my liver all the time I can definitely do more.  I will do more. 

• Bump .... for those who NEED you to know. Some have commented on here already...
    Hope your bodies are recovering well!
  • hedonist said:
    Hope your bodies are recovering well!
    Thanks so much for asking!
    It’s been a week and both of us are released from the hospital and recovering in Toronto.  It really is amazing how quickly we are both recovering.  Energy levels are low and my sleep patterns are screwy but every day it gets a little better. 5 weeks and I’ll be back to work (I don’t have a physical job that would require 3 months off). 

Its just weird imagining this liver growing inside of me. It will be 94-96% of its original size in 6 weeks from date of surgery. 

They em told me today that their teenage children have a new hero.... and they have both reached out to me...all very humbling.  It is an amazing experience to make real change in people’s lives.   
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Glad to hear that you’re both on the mend.  Hope your sleep sorts itself out soon.  It must be such a surreal experience.  Truly amazing.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • You are incredibly generous and inspiring to know the details of such a selfless act...blessings to you both...thanks for sharing  ;)
    edited September 2019
    Thanks so much to both of you! 
    I really hope it gives hope to any folks who have or have people close to them in need of a transplant. 
    I would do it again.... except I can only do this once haha

edited November 2019
    A news article about our personal story as a living organ donor and transplant recipient:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5341339

• That article is based on this radio interview.  Feel free to have a listen if you would like. 

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    A news article about our personal story as a living organ donor and transplant recipient:

Look at you two! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Wear your scars proudly!

:)
    edited November 2019
    Renfield said:

Look at you two! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. Wear your scars proudly!
    Thanks sir! I am proud of this scar! As a great Canadian once said “Scars heal, and chicks dig scars” haha
    Renfield said:

Thanks sir! I am proud of this scar! As a great Canadian once said “Scars heal, and chicks dig scars” haha
    Lol! I’m a chick :giggle:
  • Renfield said:
    Renfield said:

My sincerest apologies... how embarrassing. Lmao. 
    Renfield said:
    Renfield said:

My sincerest apologies... how embarrassing. Lmao. 
    No apologies necessary! And not embarrassing... I ❤️ It :)
    edited November 2019
    What that article doesn’t mention is when I woke up I was singing PJ’s cover of
    Comfortably Numb.  Eddie’s voice was the one in my head.... I was just so doped up it made
    me chuckle.  

Was lucky enough to see it live in Krakow last summer
    Comfortably Numb.  Eddie’s voice was the one in my head.... I was just so doped up it made
    me chuckle.  

HAHA! I cannot imagine the pain- would’ve loved the drugs :/  I too saw it  in Krakow! GA about 12 rows back between Ed & Stone
    edited November 2019
    Renfield said:
    me chuckle.  

HAHA! I cannot imagine the pain- would’ve loved the drugs :/  I too saw it  in Krakow! GA about 12 rows back between Ed & Stone
    There was not much pain to be honest with you. Felt like I did a thousand sit ups for a while (don’t really know what that feels like lol). More like soreness than pain.

pretty crazy but we were about 10-12 rows back on Stone’s side as well!  Had a little problem with a Justin Bieber wannabe but other than that it was a lot of fun.  Great show and Krakow is beautiful.  Loved the salt mine and the Auschwitz/Birkenau excursion... well that changed me forever. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Renfield said:
    me chuckle.  

There was not much pain to be honest with you. Felt like I did a thousand sit ups for a while (don’t really know what that feels like lol). More like soreness than pain.

pretty crazy but we were about 10-12 rows back on Stone’s side as well!  Had a little problem with a Justin Bieber wannabe but other than that it was a lot of fun.  Great show and Krakow is beautiful.  Loved the salt mine and the Auschwitz/Birkenau excursion... well that changed me forever. 

Krakow was a gorgeous city (particularly the square), the show was great, and GA was packed. I got slammed into quite a bit and most of my group bailed for the back but I stayed in, maybe roughly 15 rows back, Stone's side. We were within spitting distance. 

And I hear you on Auschwitz. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Renfield said:
    me chuckle.  

Krakow was a gorgeous city (particularly the square), the show was great, and GA was packed. I got slammed into quite a bit and most of my group bailed for the back but I stayed in, maybe roughly 15 rows back, Stone's side. We were within spitting distance. 

And I hear you on Auschwitz. 
    So, we were all within inches/ feet of each other... very cool!
    Krakow was rough, we had it hard for most of the concert- I was pushed around a lot. Prague almost same location a few rows closer and no one was pushing or shoving. 
    Nothing can prepare you for Auschwitz /Birkenau. I’ve seen many documentaries, visited the Holocaust Museum in DC 3 times, was at Dachau 6 months prior...  the heaviness I felt, it hung in the air, still stunned by it more than a year later.
    edited November 2019
    When we were walking back at Birkenau, I just stopped on the road... and it hit me. Like a giant wave of fear, sadness, emotion and dread. 
    Maybe I just never wanted to believe it before or I was just naive, but I realized all that I have come to know and expect (my human rights) could all be gone in a flash due to one maniac. 
    It was at that point Trumps face flashed through my brain and all of his crazy speeches and fanatical supporters. His hate speech towards certain groups, talk about saving the economy, etc.  It all started to sound eerily similar to the piece of shit, the human garbage responsible for what happened right where I was standing. 

Maybe I was being over-dramatic, but in every way I changed that day and began living my life for others.  I may not have been a living donors for Steve had I not gone to Birkenau/Auschwitz the day after that Krakow concert, but I’ll never know. I’d like to think so! 
    I guess it’s just another way that being a PJ fan and experiencing them, observing their own humanitarianism (remember the speech on the Polish citizens freedom) around the world ha made me a better person.