Plastic sleeves for your vinyl albums - what side?

What side of the recordcover do you have the plastic sleeves slit/opening facing?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Plastic sleeves for your vinyl albums - what side? 14 votes

The spine
14%
May 30thRoleModelsinBlood31 2 votes
The opening
14%
LoujoeJojoRice 2 votes
The top
71%
Dead Man Walkingpjpitt89mookieblalockLukinFandudemanTim SimmonsRS151862MedozKbrianluxPJ_Soul 10 votes

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    The opening
    Otherwise I'd have to handle jacket too much.

I put the inner sleeve facing up. Supposed to keep the dust off. My tt is nothing special but I think it's a good way to store them...when I was a kid I just spun away...listen to a record and drop it in jacket. Kinda wrecked some of my spines, who knew!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    I suggest you store the vinyl between jacket and the poly covering,  with the opening facing any side but out. Storing this way will keep your jackets pristine because the records will never stretch out the jacket.  The only downside is that you can't read the back without removing the vinyl,  if you're not sure what's on the record. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    I suggest you store the vinyl between jacket and the poly covering,  with the opening facing any side but out. Storing this way will keep your jackets pristine because the records will never stretch out the jacket.  The only downside is that you can't read the back without removing the vinyl,  if you're not sure what's on the record. 
    Yeah thats usally how they come when you buy them used.

My problem is I bought some plastic sleeves, but they are so tight they only fit on the thinnest of thinnest recordsleeves. They won't even work for Lightning Bolt or the Three Man Records live show.

Guess I need to find some wider ones.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah thats usally how they come when you buy them used.

My problem is I bought some plastic sleeves, but they are so tight they only fit on the thinnest of thinnest recordsleeves. They won't even work for Lightning Bolt or the Three Man Records live show.

Guess I need to find some wider ones.
    Those can be a god send especially for 70s and 80s records that were thin.  I love when they don't get bunched up. Im usually frustrated with how big they are.  But I use Jimmy sleeves now which are expensive but fit well and are very clear. 

The LB record is pretty fat. I feel like that calls for a double.  I don't recall TMR being big though. They must be quite small. The reality is that if you want to care for them and have them fit snug,  you need two sets of sleeves. 
  • The top
    I use the 5.0 sleeves from sleeve city and they generally fit all sized records that aren’t a box set or an oversized 3LP set. Or No Code. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I use the 5.0 sleeves from sleeve city and they generally fit all sized records that aren’t a box set or an oversized 3LP set. Or No Code. 
    Sleeve City is the best!  I turn a 5.0 sideways for No Code, it leaves about 3/8" of the jacket exposed which I'm not too worried about.  Generally use the 2.5's for everything , but I love that you can buy "samples" off them if you only need a one or two specialty sleeves.  I hate having to buy packs of 50 for something like 10" sleeves when I only own like three 10" records.
  • This thread:

Sleeve City is the best!  I turn a 5.0 sideways for No Code, it leaves about 3/8" of the jacket exposed which I'm not too worried about.  Generally use the 2.5's for everything , but I love that you can buy "samples" off them if you only need a one or two specialty sleeves.  I hate having to buy packs of 50 for something like 10" sleeves when I only own like three 10" records.
    I didn't know you could do that.  I have exactly 2 10" records.  Real PITA.  I'll have to check that out.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    The top
    Right on, Tim!  They are great!  I use the top of the line Sleeve City inners as well (can't remember what they are called- I'm at work).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited September 2019
    The top
    The top just makes the most sense IMO. I don't like having the opening where the outter sleeve opening is because I'm afraid that a record could fall out, lol. Also, I want the sleeve opening to be facing up so that they don't slip off the albums at all, and it's the only way for this to be done with the spines facing out so I can read them.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The top
    the best record supply seller.
  • The top
    mrussel1 said:
    I didn't know you could do that.  I have exactly 2 10" records.  Real PITA.  I'll have to check that out.
    Here you go my dude

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/ultimate-10in-polypro-outer-record-sleeve-sample-p/9220-sample.htm
  • The top
    50 packs of 10" sleeves are ridiculous. They should be 10, at most 25, per pack. No one needs that many 10" sleeves.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    The top
    PJ_Soul said:
    The top just makes the most sense IMO. I don't like having the opening where the outter sleeve opening is because I'm afraid that a record could fall out, lol. Also, I want the sleeve opening to be facing up so that they don't slip off the albums at all, and it's the only way for this to be done with the spines facing out so I can read them.
    This is what I do too.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV