The Inexcusable Travesty of Mt. Everest

12346»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That's all the environmental movement has is hope...there is no plan outside of world leaders holding more climate conferences flying all kinds of people on their luxury jets.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    That's all the environmental movement has is hope...there is no plan outside of world leaders holding more climate conferences flying all kinds of people on their luxury jets.

Did you mean to post this on another thread?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

hat difference what thread I posted in.  Its the same concept...those ignorant mountaineers are polluting Everest and have been for years.  How 'bout this, instead of wasting money on climate conferences maybe they should see how much $$$ it would take for Nepal to shut down the mountain on their side for few years and get the mountain cleaned...as for the Chinese side...FUCK CHINA...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    hat difference what thread I posted in.  Its the same concept...those ignorant mountaineers are polluting Everest and have been for years.  How 'bout this, instead of wasting money on climate conferences maybe they should see how much $$$ it would take for Nepal to shut down the mountain on their side for few years and get the mountain cleaned...as for the Chinese side...FUCK CHINA...
    Sorry, not meaning to push your buttons, Meltdown.  It just sounded like something that maybe was meant for one of the other environment threads.

Telling China to fuck off probably won't lead to any constructive measures.  But maybe boycotting their plastic crap would?

As for the climate conferences- I kind of agree.  I mean, what is there to talk about any more?  Now if the conferences were all about setting into motion ACTIONS, actually DOING SOMETHING, that would be useful. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Sorry, not meaning to push your buttons, Meltdown.  It just sounded like something that maybe was meant for one of the other environment threads.

Telling China to fuck off probably won't lead to any constructive measures.  But maybe boycotting their plastic crap would?

As for the climate conferences- I kind of agree.  I mean, what is there to talk about any more?  Now if the conferences were all about setting into motion ACTIONS, actually DOING SOMETHING, that would be useful. 
    You are not pushing my buttons.  Unless we take action now, we stand no chance of saving this planet.  And I've stated that we all know what needs to be done...yet all that really happens is they hold another climate conference.  What happens after the Paris accord?  Many articles have stated that likely only 2 countries will meet the targets?  Personally, I believe the world is just going to get hot.   I live in Southern Ontario, I am only staying in the area to keep an on Dad...I am all he has in the area...then I am moving North.  The last 4 summers have been toasty.  

I have a small carbon footprint.  My house is about the size of a 2 bedroom apartment, I cut the grass with a rechargeable lawnmower, drive a 4cyl Jeep, walk when I can, recycle...etc.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

You are not pushing my buttons.  Unless we take action now, we stand no chance of saving this planet.  And I've stated that we all know what needs to be done...yet all that really happens is they hold another climate conference.  What happens after the Paris accord?  Many articles have stated that likely only 2 countries will meet the targets?  Personally, I believe the world is just going to get hot.   I live in Southern Ontario, I am only staying in the area to keep an on Dad...I am all he has in the area...then I am moving North.  The last 4 summers have been toasty.  

I have a small carbon footprint.  My house is about the size of a 2 bedroom apartment, I cut the grass with a rechargeable lawnmower, drive a 4cyl Jeep, walk when I can, recycle...etc.
    Good job.  We all need to scale back in any way we can.

edited September 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Where I live is getting terrible...I can not believe the amount of driving oversized pickups and living in oversized homes...really do you need a $60 000 truck to take you to your job that does not involve the need for a truck.  Just silly.  Not to mention that all you are doing is making the oil companies richer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We need to ban plastic worldwide.  Was that part of the Paris accord?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Where I live is getting terrible...I can not believe the amount of driving oversized pickups and living in oversized homes...really do you need a $60 000 truck to take you to your job that does not involve the need for a truck.  Just silly.  Not to mention that all you are doing is making the oil companies richer...
    Oh man, same here!  BIG pickup trucks everywhere.  I call them R.O.A.T.S.- Ridiculously Oversized American Trucks-- (R.O.C.T.S., I suppose, in Canada)   And a majority of the time it's men and women driving alone in these behemoths to work or to the grocery store.  We lease a space in a parking lot near work where I wedge my Prius between two mongo pickup trucks-- and these guys never have anything in the truck beds- they mostly are for commuting.  Ridiculous! 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I hope so.  I have to admit to feeling skeptical about these talks.  Haven't we done this before?  Has anything changed?  Do people really need some politician to tell them to stop screwing Mother Earth?  (I'm pretty sure I know your answer!)

On the other hand, if they come through with some strong measures, it sure can't hurt.  But then we need to stop bull shitting and start doing.  We need more environmental warriors.  I'm all for peacemakers, but when the life of the planet is at stake, we need more warriors-   people with voices, strong pens, strong commitment to change, massive action.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    What do you mean by ban plastic world wide? Not a complete bad I assume. Just a ban on single use items like bags and cups?
    Because we wouldn’t even have computers and phones without plastic. 

mace1229 said:
    What do you mean by ban plastic world wide? Not a complete bad I assume. Just a ban on single use items like bags and cups?
    Because we wouldn’t even have computers and phones without plastic. 

Ah, but we could!  How?  Hemp "plastic".  We could make almost everything we have now with the exception maybe of things like inguinal hernia repair patches and a few other applications without plastic.  Imagine that!.   Almost no plastic!   

And of course, to start with, it would make sense to stop making all that plastic crap that people give kids as toys.  My grand niece just turned 8.  She was given (by other relatives) a shit load of plastic crap that by next year will be broken, in the land fill, and long forgotten.  We take the kids out for birthday luch and give them something that can last for a long time like books.  The y remember the lunches, were we go, what we do and they love the books.  They don't love the plastic for more than a few days. 

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited September 2019
    I hate nearly all plastic toys too, love old school metal tonka trucks for our little boys. But we do like 1 brand of plastic. Forget the name right now, but it’s recycled plastic and very sturdy, they play with them almost every day the weather is good and some of them have lasted 2 or 3 years already and don’t think any have broken. But that’s rare for a plastic toy.

Could we sustain enough hemp farms to replace all our plastic? I haven t looked it up but I would assume our daily plastic items make up 99% of our plastic trash, and jugs like phones, TVs and computers are just a very small amount so I don’t see a need to eliminate all plastic. Just replace our single use plastics. 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Oh man, same here!  BIG pickup trucks everywhere.  I call them R.O.A.T.S.- Ridiculously Oversized American Trucks-- (R.O.C.T.S., I suppose, in Canada)   And a majority of the time it's men and women driving alone in these behemoths to work or to the grocery store.  We lease a space in a parking lot near work where I wedge my Prius between two mongo pickup trucks-- and these guys never have anything in the truck beds- they mostly are for commuting.  Ridiculous! 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I hope so.  I have to admit to feeling skeptical about these talks.  Haven't we done this before?  Has anything changed?  Do people really need some politician to tell them to stop screwing Mother Earth?  (I'm pretty sure I know your answer!)

On the other hand, if they come through with some strong measures, it sure can't hurt.  But then we need to stop bull shitting and start doing.  We need more environmental warriors.  I'm all for peacemakers, but when the life of the planet is at stake, we need more warriors-   people with voices, strong pens, strong commitment to change, massive action.
    I'm with you on the doing.  Action needs to happen.  Talk is cheap.  But if we keep making plastics the Oceans die...if these Oceans die, we will die eventually.  The most important thing is to save the Oceans ... IMO
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mace1229 said:
    I hate nearly all plastic toys too, love old school metal tonka trucks for our little boys. But we do like 1 brand of plastic. Forget the name right now, but it’s recycled plastic and very sturdy, they play with them almost every day the weather is good and some of them have lasted 2 or 3 years already and don’t think any have broken. But that’s rare for a plastic toy.

Could we sustain enough hemp farms to replace all our plastic? I haven t looked it up but I would assume our daily plastic items make up 99% of our plastic trash, and jugs like phones, TVs and computers are just a very small amount so I don’t see a need to eliminate all plastic. Just replace our single use plastics. 
    Easily!  Hemp is a weed.  It's easy to grow and it's a nitrogen fixing plant, meaning it's good for the soil (easy to look it up if you're curious about nitrogen fixation).  There a lot of good info about al this book in Doug Fine's book, Hemp Bound.  Fine explains it all clearly, is a good writer, and has a good sense of humor.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I'm with you on the doing.  Action needs to happen.  Talk is cheap.  But if we keep making plastics the Oceans die...if these Oceans die, we will die eventually.  The most important thing is to save the Oceans ... IMO

Right on.

I suppose there could be more stupid reasons to try climbing one of high peaks of the world... but not many.  Good article here:

“We climb for many reasons. The freedom, the nature, setting a goal. These big goals we do them for internal significance. All these internal drivers have been taken over by social media.” Hayes says, “Look where I am. Look what I’m doing. Look what I’ve achieved. It’s became about that Insta shot on the top of Everest or at an Ironman triathlon. We are in a massive epidemic. We’re striving for recognition and respect and yes, fame.

Hayes is skeptical that amateur mountaineers looking to strike that perfect mountaintop pose will be weeded out. He hopes by spotlighting what he calls a “deeply disturbing selfie trend” in the expedition world, readers of One Climb will reexamine their own priorities when in nature and life."

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    ^ His auto-biography of K2 looks interesting.  I don't think it will get to the top of my reading list though ... this is the kind of book that I wish an audiobook was available.