9-11 plotters get a trial date. finally.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    That’s good hear.  Can we torture the bastards before we execute them.   They caused so many people unspeakable pain.  Not the mention the wars.  
    You actually promote torture?  Really man, think about that.
    War is hell.  Torture/interrogation has a time and place.  This is definitely one of those times.  
    You really approve of using torture as a punishment?  That kind of fucks with my head, to be honest.
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?
    Because it is war.  Completely different set of rules.  Extracting information can save hundreds if not thousands of lives. 

And you believe that torture is an effective, ethical and legal way to do that? 

The Geneva Convention signatories would disagree. 

Yes i believe it can be very effective when extracting vital
    information. Also, name a country the us has fought that followed the Geneva convention.  

So your argument is "everybody else does it?". Why is that relevant? The US is a signatory, is it not?

If you are willing to use torture just because your enemies do it, you have no basis to claim any moral high ground.

Plus, you don't know the research data on forced confessions very well. 
    I could care less about moral ground. I m all for it if it saves lives. Doesn’t Canada do the same?

So you don't care if you're doing what you castigate others for, and you don't care if it actually is effective. 

Wonderful. But not actually surprising. 
    Not surprising that you are advocating for the rights of people who orchestrated an attack that
    killed nearly 3,000 civilians. Yeah those people deserved ehat was done to them. Maybe if Canada had some sort of event like 9/11 you would feel different.  
    arent we supposed to be better than that? if what we have is so exceptional for the world, then dont we have to live it? adhere to the founding principles?to abandon that in the face of that horror, shows we arent. they win/won. if thats the case we should stop kidding ourselves and rip it up. it becomes meaningless.
    Not in this instance.  These people are the definition of evil and deserve what happened to them after being captured.  They attacked our soil by flying four commercial jets into areas of civilian life, why do we have to be better than them?  What would you have done with them?
    the rule of law is everything or it is nothing. choose.
    9/11 was different, you know that.  Plus when this happened it was legal under W.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,411
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    That’s good hear.  Can we torture the bastards before we execute them.   They caused so many people unspeakable pain.  Not the mention the wars.  
    War is hell.  Torture/interrogation has a time and place.  This is definitely one of those times.  
    You really approve of using torture as a punishment?  That kind of fucks with my head, to be honest.
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?
    Because it is war.  Completely different set of rules.  Extracting information can save hundreds if not thousands of lives. 

information. Also, name a country the us has fought that followed the Geneva convention.  

So your argument is "everybody else does it?". Why is that relevant? The US is a signatory, is it not?

If you are willing to use torture just because your enemies do it, you have no basis to claim any moral high ground.

I could care less about moral ground. I m all for it if it saves lives. Doesn’t Canada do the same?

So you don't care if you're doing what you castigate others for, and you don't care if it actually is effective. 

Not surprising that you are advocating for the rights of people who orchestrated an attack that
    killed nearly 3,000 civilians. Yeah those people deserved ehat was done to them. Maybe if Canada had some sort of event like 9/11 you would feel different.  
    arent we supposed to be better than that? if what we have is so exceptional for the world, then dont we have to live it? adhere to the founding principles?to abandon that in the face of that horror, shows we arent. they win/won. if thats the case we should stop kidding ourselves and rip it up. it becomes meaningless.
    Not in this instance.  These people are the definition of evil and deserve what happened to them after being captured.  They attacked our soil by flying four commercial jets into areas of civilian life, why do we have to be better than them?  What would you have done with them?
    9/11 was different, you know that.  Plus when this happened it was legal under W.  
    no. it applies ALWAYS or never. choose.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

If it saves American or allied lives than I am all for it. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

then tear the constitution up and use it for toilet paper.

every single service member swears an oath to preserve and defend that document and the ldeals it contains.

There are no exceptions.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Having rules during a war is quite ridiculous...war causes mass murder.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited September 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

every single service member swears an oath to preserve and defend that document and the ldeals it contains.

There are no exceptions.
    Where in the constitution does it say that?  Pretty sure patriot act gives us permission to
    do so.  And I agree with meltdown, there should be no rules with war.  We lose when politicians get involved.  

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.
    Where in the constitution does it say that?  Pretty sure patriot act gives us permission to
    do so.  And I agree with meltdown, there should be no rules with war.  We lose when politicians get involved.  

pssst we werent at war with nonstate actors. which al Qaeda is.

so let me ask you this. Where in the constitution does it say the rule of law applies except for when ......?

mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

so let me ask you this. Where in the constitution does it say the rule of law applies except for when ......?
    The patriot act?  And again, it was legal under W which is when it happened. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

then deemed illegal, so it kinda calls into question its initial legality OR SCOTUS wouldnt have knocked that down.

psst slavery was legal at one time too....

edited September 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

then deemed illegal, so it kinda calls into question its initial legality OR SCOTUS wouldnt have knocked that down.

Correct, the 13th amendment took care of that.  However I still stand by my opinion that
     torture should be used in interrogations when trying to extract vital information in order to save American or allied lives.  

I guess its a good thing SCOTUS has an opinion too......

mickeyrat said:
    I guess its a good thing SCOTUS has an opinion too......
    100% agree.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If we stop start torturing people and taking away their right to due process, we become the enemy.  How could anyone who professes to be patriotic in this country go a long with that?  For that matter, how could anyone go a long with that be they a patriot or not? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

Yes, I am glad that you recognize that I will advocate for upholding the legal rights of every single person, every single time. I'd rather be known for that than for advocating torture. 

And no, it wouldn't matter whether there was a terrorist attack on Canadian soil. That's a specious argument with no basis in fact. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

Exactly.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

Correct, the 13th amendment took care of that.  However I still stand by my opinion that
     torture should be used in interrogations when trying to extract vital information in order to save American or allied lives.  

What proof do you have that torture saves lives? Where's your data?
  • This might sound stupid. But it takes people to commit the torture. What about the long term effects on those people. Or are we okay with producing sociopaths that can torture a fellow human being without empathy? 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    This might sound stupid. But it takes people to commit the torture. What about the long term effects on those people. Or are we okay with producing sociopaths that can torture a fellow human being without empathy? 
    That doesn't sound stupid at all. The effects on the people who have to do these things as part of their job are significant and long lasting, and another argument against the use of torture, not that we should need another one. 
    edited September 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

It s something I believe in. I have no reason to show statistics to prove my own opinion. 
    And I really do believe if four commercial airliners flew into civilians buildings in Canada you would feel different.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

I'm still kinda marvelling that you think it's a bad thing to be in favour of upholding legal rights of the accused. 
    edited September 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

I'm still kinda marvelling that you think it's a bad thing to be in favour of upholding legal rights of the accused. 
    Not off the people that planned out 9/11. They aren’t criminals, they are the enemy. They literally waged war against the United States.  

Again, completely different ballgame. 

• Ive just read all this and 2 things i thought. 
    1. Why is 9/11 different? I don't  get why this  terrible crime is worse than any other?
    2. If the people organising it failed to execute the plan are they still to be tortured? I mean does it go on amount killed or intent?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    These cowherds are not just responsible for WTC, they started a war that in the 19th year and are responsible for untold number of deaths...they are not human ... torture away.  We all know the world overcrowded.  The world does not need scum like this.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    edited September 2019
    But scum as you put it are everywhere. Is it the fact their plan worked. Because splinter cells all over the world are plotting. I don't  know  about torture and which  countries use it but  my view  is many people  have done bad crimes and killed one or thousands but i can't  agree with torture i don't  think. Lots of innocent people have been tortured also.  I guess its like the death penalty making sure the person is 100% guilty because im sure lots of the wrong  person have been killed over the years.

Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    This might sound stupid. But it takes people to commit the torture. What about the long term effects on those people. Or are we okay with producing sociopaths that can torture a fellow human being without empathy? 
    Damn good point.  Hadn't thought that far,  but yeah.  Who the hell would do that kind of work?  No one I want to know.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

But scum as you put it are everywhere. Is it the fact their plan worked. Because splinter cells all over the world are plotting. I don't  know  about torture and which  countries use it but  my view  is many people  have done bad crimes and killed one or thousands but i can't  agree with torture i don't  think. Lots of innocent people have been tortured also.  I guess its like the death penalty making sure the person is 100% guilty because im sure lots of the wrong  person have been killed over the years.

Another good point. 

We should be talking about the human condition, not this country or that.  It's all wrong.  Unfettered hate, hyper-fear, disdain for life, prejudice, hatred of nature and wildness.  It's all wrong. Why can't (or won't) people see that?

• Advocating for torture. What the hell is this.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I'll I agree with McGruff and Meltdown on this
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

It s something I believe in. I have no reason to show statistics to prove my own opinion. 
    And I really do believe if four commercial airliners flew into civilians buildings in Canada you would feel different.

As a wise person once said, you can have your own opinion but you can’t have your own facts. 

If one is going to advocate for illegal measures with the rationale that it will save lives, I would think that you would at least be interested in knowing if it saves lives or not. Since you’re not, we can assume that’s it’s an emotional decision geared at punishment, and not in fact an attempt to gain information. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    In war?  Absolutely. 

Why?

There are no exceptions.

It’s interesting that you can’t conceive of someone thinking differently on this. 

You and and I have very different values. I will never advocate torture or lack of due process. How many times do we have to repeat history to finally learn from it?