Having Kids. Selfish Act?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    My brother never had kids and my sister has no kids and I never had kids.  I guess we are doing our part to balance things out...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Uncle might just be the best job in the world!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    rgambs said:
    Wtf

If you want five kids then have five kids.  As long as you take care of them it’s fine with me.  I only get upset when kids are abused or you see the mom walking ten feet in front of their 3 year old in the Target parking lot.  

Being a dad is the best thing to ever happen to me.  Crafting a responsible human being is your duty once you become a parent. 
    I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I had 5 privileged kids eating mini pizzas and Twix bars every day while millions of kids starve around the world.
    Hey man, As long as you’re raising them right and making whatever contributions you can to people who have less there shouldn't be any guilt.  

Make sure its PB Twix tho.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't call it selfish... I might call it irresponsible though. Not that I expect everyone to stop having kids. I don't have any, largely for the reasons the OP is talking about, but I know that others just have a really deep and undeniable need to procreate. It's not really their fault. It's a combination of socialization and instinct for some people. That said, I think people should have as few kids as they can possible stand - if that number is zero, that's ideal.

I think this is kind of funny, because up until very recently, it was more commonly said that people who DON'T have kids are the selfish ones, lol.
    I am selfish - which is why I chose not to have / adopt children.  I simply don't have what (I believe) it takes to be a good parent.

(And after DK's comment, that is hereby cemented!)
    Me, too.  It’s not the not having kids that makes us selfish.  It’s our selfishness that makes us realize we shouldn’t have kids. I wanna spend my fee time not reading to kids and carting them places.  I’m selfish with my time.  People tell me I’d be a good parent; probably because I have a decent job and don’t have a drug problem.

In the big picture, it’s the tragedy of the commons; if the Smiths have five kids, who cares?  But with so many people reproducing, we’re way overpopulated.

In recent years it’s become evident to me that environmental shit is gonna hit the fan in my (would-be) child’s lifetime.  It kinda validated my choice (though not as much as when I see a parent struggling with a petulant brat in public).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Raising annoying kids should be a criminal act. 

I kid, I kid.

(Kind of.)

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    everyone is selfish to a degree. we had kids cause we wanted to. that's the definition of selfish. same with people who don't want kids. but that's not a bad thing. you need to do what's best for you. the issue I have is with people who choose one or the other due to outside pressures. I can't imagine having kids if I didn't want them. What a horrible existence that would be. it's hard enough being a parent, I can't imagine being one if I didn't want to be.

The way I raise them, however, is to try to be unselfish, do what's best for them while maintaining my sanity. sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail. that's how it works. 

is the current population trend sustainable? No, it isn't. but stopping having kids will just lead to eventual extinction. which would be great for the planet of course. but I'd rather we fix it rather than choose to destroy ourselves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Try not to take it personal though....childhood/teenage is a constant struggle by them for their independence, which is what they are supposed to be doing so we don't have them in the nest forever. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I agree with you on a lot of it. But this planet cannot sustain the amount of people it has now. What I meant by selfish was bringing kids into a world that is not on the right course in many many ways. But is raising a kid super rewarding. No one doing it the best they can can argue that. It’s amazing. 
    would you want your existence in this world to depend on how much cable news your parents consumed?
    Kat said:
    Try not to take it personal though....childhood/teenage is a constant struggle by them for their independence, which is what they are supposed to be doing so we don't have them in the nest forever. :)

I've learned to laugh as much as possible. it will serve me well. two daughters: 10 and 13.  :s
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Kat said:

I've learned to laugh as much as possible. it will serve me well. two daughters: 10 and 13.  :s
    If only they left the nest sooner. Am I right?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Just taught my three ten year olds how to surf, I wouldn’t trade that for anything in the world. Having kids is the greatest/hardest thing ever. I don’t think it is selfish to have kids, to me it is the total opposite.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just taught my three ten year olds how to surf, I wouldn’t trade that for anything in the world. Having kids is the greatest/hardest thing ever. I don’t think it is selfish to have kids, to me it is the total opposite.  
    That's awesome!

We're hoping to have some kiddos soon and we're excited. I don't think it's selfish at all either.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    So you're saying that it is selfish not to have kids??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Huh?  Where do you get?  I only talked about having kids.  To each their own but I stand by my opinion that It is selfless to have kids, not selfish. 
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Huh?  Where do you get?  I only talked about having kids.  To each their own but I stand by my opinion that It is selfless to have kids, not selfish. 
    I got if from the part about "to me it is the total opposite". I thought that could mean that you don't think it is selfish to have kids, but it's opposite, i.e. it is selfish not to have them. But now I understand what you meant. That's why I asked.
    Some people are 100% selfish about having kids though. It depends on the circumstances.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I got if from the part about "to me it is the total opposite". I thought that could mean that you don't think it is selfish to have kids, but it's opposite, i.e. it is selfish not to have them. But now I understand what you meant. That's why I asked.
    Some people are 100% selfish about having kids though. It depends on the circumstances.
    Sorry for not being clear. I totally respect people who want to have kids and those who do not want kids.  I am definitely a “to each their own” person. 
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sorry for not being clear. I totally respect people who want to have kids and those who do not want kids.  I am definitely a “to each their own” person. 
    Werd.

But btw, I don't believe that having kids is selfish in general, excluding those with the terrible reasons, but I also don't think at all that it is a selfless act. Procreation definitely has nothing to do with altruism. People get joy plus the comfort of carrying themselves on genetically, and to build on various pleasures and to fulfill perceived responsibilities and roles, so that alone makes it impossible for it to be selfless.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:I 
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Werd.

But btw, I don't believe that having kids is selfish in general, excluding those with the terrible reasons, but I also don't think at all that it is a selfless act. Procreation definitely has nothing to do with altruism. People get joy plus the comfort of carrying themselves on genetically, and to build on various pleasures and to fulfill perceived responsibilities and roles, so that alone makes it impossible for it to be selfless.

Definitely agree that it isn't selfless to have kids.
    Most of us are hormonally driven to reproduce and hormonally rewarded for it.

Now, adopting and fostering are much closer to selfless, but I am in that category of people who wonder if there even is such a thing as a selfless act due to the dopamine release that altruism usually triggers.
    It's certainly a rarity in my opinion.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Werd.

Now, adopting and fostering are much closer to selfless, but I am in that category of people who wonder if there even is such a thing as a selfless act due to the dopamine release that altruism usually triggers.
    I agree about altruism. I don't really believe there's such a thing but it is hard to really tell. It is more like enlightened self-interest. We do something good because it makes us feel good. Or we do something good to better society so we have a better society to live in. We give to charity because it makes us feel good (and for some they get a meaningful tax credit). Behind every "altruistic" act is something personal that we get pleasure or satisfaction or benefit from in some way. Now, pure altruism may exist, I'm not sure either, but what most consider altruism, I'd consider enlightened self-interest.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Werd.

I agree about altruism. I don't really believe there's such a thing but it is hard to really tell. It is more like enlightened self-interest. We do something good because it makes us feel good. Or we do something good to better society so we have a better society to live in. We give to charity because it makes us feel good (and for some they get a meaningful tax credit). Behind every "altruistic" act is something personal that we get pleasure or satisfaction or benefit from in some way. Now, pure altruism may exist, I'm not sure either, but what most consider altruism, I'd consider enlightened self-interest.
    I do believe that true altruism is possible, but it's extremely rare. The first example that comes to mind is if someone literally sacrifices their life for a stranger. It almost never happens, but it has been known to happen.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I agree with what PJ_Soul said earlier- not so much selfish as irresponsible (but probably a little selfish too).  I never had kids myself, but I understand why there is the desire.  And for women, it is very much a nature driven desire often referred to as "maternal instinct".    I don't dislike kids although I am often angry at parents who don't make an effort to learn some good parenting skills.  I have three godchildren, a gaggle of nephew and nieces and grand nephews and nieces and great grand nephews and nieces.  They're all great kids.  But the youngest of them I fear for.  They are in for a very, very difficult future.  I say that not as an alarmist, but as a realist.

And what I see happening is that more an more the people who are having kids are less educated, and less aware or ill-informed about world events. That's not going to help matters any at all.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I agree with what PJ_Soul said earlier- not so much selfish as irresponsible (but probably a little selfish too).  I never had kids myself, but I understand why there is the desire.  And for women, it is very much a nature driven desire often referred to as "maternal instinct".    I don't dislike kids although I am often angry at parents who don't make an effort to learn some good parenting skills.  I have three godchildren, a gaggle of nephew and nieces and grand nephews and nieces and great grand nephews and nieces.  They're all great kids.  But the youngest of them I fear for.  They are in for a very, very difficult future.  I say that not as an alarmist, but as a realist.

And what I see happening is that more an more the people who are having kids are less educated, and less aware or ill-informed about world events. That's not going to help matters any at all.
    Are you going around asking people who have kids what level of education you have?  This attack on the less educated reeks of elitism.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:

Are you going around asking people who have kids what level of education you have?  This attack on the less educated reeks of elitism.

Wow, I don't get that at all from what he wrote.
    Just a nice way of saying idiots breed kids who learn idiot habits.
    If you disagree with that I would be surprised.
    I totally agree 
    Idiots raise kids in idiotic ways, and produce the next generation of fucking Trump supporters.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Who do you consider educated?  The person who tried kindergarten felt it wasn't for them and dropped out, the grade 8 dropout, the high school drop out, someone with grade 12?  Got news for some of you there are people with less formal that is talented and amazing.  I worked with a fellow ... grade 8 education ...  He could fix and repair any vehicle, he pulled 50 grand a year.

What about tradespeople, many of them would shock you with how much they make.

What about farmers.  Many have very little education...but they run farms and feed us.

What about truck drivers?  If you gotta, a truck brought it in most cases.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:

My comment is based partly on people I know, partly on observation, and partly on statistics (that you can easily look up, so do it). 
    As for the reeking stench of what you perceive as elitism, all I can offer is this:

Now go be pissed off at someone else.  I'm having a rough week.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Who do you consider educated?  The person who tried kindergarten felt it wasn't for them and dropped out, the grade 8 dropout, the high school drop out, someone with grade 12?  Got news for some of you there are people with less formal that is talented and amazing.  I worked with a fellow ... grade 8 education ...  He could fix and repair any vehicle, he pulled 50 grand a year.

What about farmers.  Many have very little education...but they run farms and feed us.

Fucking hell.  Sorry that I can't get it to separate 
    I don't view that sort of comment about the grade level, but more about people acting like idiots and showing that they are "uneducated"
    My CEO never went to college.
    I don't put an emphasis on schooling, but on how someone behaves.
    .guessing the same for Brian, but he can answer that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

I don't view that sort of comment about the grade level, but more about people acting like idiots and showing that they are "uneducated"
    "I don't put an emphasis on schooling, but on how someone behaves."  Nailed it!

I did say something  about un-educated people have more kids.  I think that's true but maybe what I should have been more precise.  There are a lot of really great people of varying education levels who have had kids- many of them right here on these forums.  Some of the best people I have ever met have kids- my wife had a kid and she is smart, kind, and just naturally a good soul (not at all cranky like me!)  But if you work with the public or even just get out a lot, you see lot of really shitty parenting going on.  It's easy to spot.   I even see it a lot in the bookstore and we generally have a more intelligent customer base (because we sell books) than a lot of other shops (not to put other shops down, of course).

As for school, there are stupid college graduates and brilliant drop outs.  School is only good for what you put into it and get out of it.  I hated high school but loved college, but it was just a matter of what I like doing a lot of the time.  Some of my very best friends and the best people I know have been drop outs. 

And Meltdown, there are farmers like Lou Reed sings about in "Future Farmers of America" and there are farmers like my brother who is one of the smartest people I've ever met.  Wendell Berry is a Farmer and one of the most recognized authors of our time.  I don't think anyone is generalizing about  people's intelligence based on their job.  Shouldn't anyway.  Paul Westerberg, for example, was a janitor.  And he's a fucking genius too.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of information  showing that better educated women have fewer children.  There are plenty of studies showing that.  It's easy to find that info on the internet.  Check it out. 

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Werd.

I tend to disagree a little.  Having a kid, you change your whole life and they are your first thought on decisions, etc.  So nothing is 100% selfless...but raising a kid is pretty close for some.  Actually, for some having a child is 100% selfless...but those parents annoy me. ;)  
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

"I don't put an emphasis on schooling, but on how someone behaves."  Nailed it!

I did say something  about un-educated people have more kids.  I think that's true but maybe what I should have been more precise.  There are a lot of really great people of varying education levels who have had kids- many of them right here on these forums.  Some of the best people I have ever met have kids- my wife had a kid and she is smart, kind, and just naturally a good soul (not at all cranky like me!)  But if you work with the public or even just get out a lot, you see lot of really shitty parenting going on.  It's easy to spot.   I even see it a lot in the bookstore and we generally have a more intelligent customer base (because we sell books) than a lot of other shops (not to put other shops down, of course).

As for school, there are stupid college graduates and brilliant drop outs.  School is only good for what you put into it and get out of it.  I hated high school but loved college, but it was just a matter of what I like doing a lot of the time.  Some of my very best friends and the best people I know have been drop outs. 

And Meltdown, there are farmers like Lou Reed sings about in "Future Farmers of America" and there are farmers like my brother who is one of the smartest people I've ever met.  Wendell Berry is a Farmer and one of the most recognized authors of our time.  I don't think anyone is generalizing about  people's intelligence based on their job.  Shouldn't anyway.  Paul Westerberg, for example, was a janitor.  And he's a fucking genius too.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of information  showing that better educated women have fewer children.  There are plenty of studies showing that.  It's easy to find that info on the internet.  Check it out. 

I think an important point about your last paragraph is that, just because better educated women tend to have fewer children, isn't necessarily because they are "smarter", it's because they are most likely more career-driven. 

I can't imagine living in a time, as recently as the 60's, where if you didn't have kids you were considered some kind of fucking weirdo, as a female. Dudes were heralded for how studly they were. Women were pariahs. Now, it's leaning heavily on "do what makes you happy". Which I think is actually important for the world. We NEED more people not having kids. I honestly selfishly wanted more kids (probably just one more), our finances just dictated that we don't. I'm kind of glad we didn't. Now we're in a place where the 4 of us can afford to actually do things, like go on occasional trips, and fun in life. 

I'll be honest, when I first joined facebook (now deleted), and found so many old friends, I was astounded at the number of women who weren't married and/or had no kids. I'm sure most by choice, some sadly not. It was ingrained in us that is just what you do; marry and have a family. Not pressured, that's just what you saw, in real life and on tv. Now it's finally evolved where women often aren't shamed for being single or childless. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’m a parent of two grown kids , I’m happy screw everyone else ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....