Best way to store digital music files?

davidosdavidos Posts: 466
I am trying to organize all me mp3s in one place... I have a NAS but that seems to always be in sleep mode when I need to access it from my iMac... Thinking I just need to get a usb drive and load it up. 

What do you guys/gals use???
Thx!

Comments

• CrewCrew Posts: 299
    For long-term storage, or mobile?

If storage, just get a SSD.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2019
    For mobile, I have a 256GB card in my phone

For storage, I have a 1TB Portable Hard Drive

I am extremely anal about this, and took a long time to put all my files in a uniformed catalog
    I have the files organized by
    >Act "Pearl Jam"
    >Year Album (like "1991 Ten") so the folders appear in order.  My bootlegs are in their own folder (in Pearl Jam), and a folder for each year, and the folder listed as something like:  "19950205 Moore Theatre Seattle, WA
    >Tracks are listed with the number first, such as 01 Once, and 02 Even Flow so the tracks are listed in order.  If it is a multi-disk album, I make it 01 01 xxxxx, 01 02 xxxxx.... then the second disk is 02 01 xxxxx, 02 02 xxxxx and so on.  

I also modified the properties of each track, such as track number, genre, track name, year, artist, album, etc.  You can highlight every mp3 file to change most things (but track number and track name done individually)
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    This is for storage... Is 500GB SSD enough? Worth the price (~$90) over say a 2TB mini HD?
  • Depends on how much music you have...?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    Will double check but not much more than a few hundred GB...
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't know what anything here means, but I should probably do something like this, too.

I don't even own a computer or a thumb drive.

The last time I saved something personal, it was on one of these.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    dankind said:
    I don't know what anything here means, but I should probably do something like this, too.

So do you access the message board strictly through your phone? I own a Mac 🖥 but can’t even remember the last time I was on it. It’s iPhone all day for me. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    dankind said:

So do you access the message board strictly through your phone? I own a Mac 🖥 but can’t even remember the last time I was on it. It’s iPhone all day for me. 
    Phone or work computer. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Nice. Since I work outside most of the day I never think of work computers lol
    Nice. Since I work outside most of the day I never think of work computers lol

I SAW PEARL JAM
    🤣🤣🤣
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Hard drives are nice and convenient but they can die or get corrupted. I had an external crap out on me and had to pay a lot for a guy to work and work to recover the files. I still keep my music on a hard drive but I also burned everything onto DVDs as an extra foolproof backup!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    yield2me said:
    Hard drives are nice and convenient but they can die or get corrupted. I had an external crap out on me and had to pay a lot for a guy to work and work to recover the files. I still keep my music on a hard drive but I also burned everything onto DVDs as an extra foolproof backup!
    Optical media is far from foolproof. Disc rot is a serious problem and can set in a lot quicker than previously thought.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    I pretty much back up my digital audio on Data DVD'rs. Back them up again on Data Blu-ray's. Again back them up on Western Digital External Hard Drives. Not a whole lot via cloud but Mega & Dropbox are what I use, which are easy access / play on my smartphone on the road.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    yield2me said:
    Optical media is far from foolproof. Disc rot is a serious problem and can set in a lot quicker than previously thought.
    "Disc rot"? Come on now....
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    yield2me said:
    yield2me said:
    I’ve seen it. Where the bottom of the cd starts getting these weird black marks. I used to keep my cds in those holder folders and a bunch of mine did this. Maybe it was a low quality Cd-r but it happened. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    yield2me said:
    yield2me said:
    I’ve seen it. Where the bottom of the cd starts getting these weird black marks. I used to keep my cds in those holder folders and a bunch of mine did this. Maybe it was a low quality Cd-r but it happened. 
    This happened to all my old cds that I burnt in the 90s. I spent 3 days and 2 external drives and saved about 80% of it. No joke. 20% unreadable. Put that stuff on non spinning drives STAT.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,488
    Agreed - store on an SSD HHD (Solid state hard drive) - these are pretty reliable but as a fail safe - store everything on the cloud as well
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    yield2me said:
    I actually have 2 hard drives and flash a copy of it every month or so