Options

Attacker Kills Four, Wounds Two in California Stabbing Rampage. Mass stabbing??

RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
edited August 2019 in A Moving Train
https://time.com/5647269/california-stabbing-rampage/
(LOS ANGELES) — A man who was “full of anger” stabbed, slashed and robbed his way across two Southern California cities in a bloody rampage that killed four people and wounded two others who were apparently targeted at random, authorities said...
Post edited by Renfield on

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    At least he didn't have a gun. We'd be at 24 or 30. The dog days of summer are here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,673
    tbergs said:
    At least he didn't have a gun. We'd be at 24 or 30. The dog days of summer are here.
    he did from the last killing. took it off a security guard...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Agree. Sad state of affairs to say that I’m ‘happy’ it wasn’t a gun. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:
    You are right. Fortunately he was apprehended shortly after he stole the gun. So far they are saying the motive behind all this was robbery. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,671
    We were talking to a customer from San Francisco who comes up here to Placerville now and then.  She said she had recently been assaulted.  She was OK but traumatized from being face punched.  But she also knows self defense and fought back and the cops came and picked him up.  She said this guy is crazy and had assaulted others often enough that the cops knew him by name.  Kind of makes you wonder about the justice system.  A guy who repeatedly assaults people walks?  WTF?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Renfield said:
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:
    You are right. Fortunately he was apprehended shortly after he stole the gun. So far they are saying the motive behind all this was robbery. 
    But what a bizarre MO for robbery. It’s not like it’s going to go undetected. I would guess it’s robbery with the intention of getting drugs, given that behaviour. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    mickeyrat said:
    tbergs said:
    But what a bizarre MO for robbery. It’s not like it’s going to go undetected. I would guess it’s robbery with the intention of getting drugs, given that behaviour. 
    This very well may have been a drug fueled violent rampage.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    We were talking to a customer from San Francisco who comes up here to Placerville now and then.  She said she had recently been assaulted.  She was OK but traumatized from being face punched.  But she also knows self defense and fought back and the cops came and picked him up.  She said this guy is crazy and had assaulted others often enough that the cops knew him by name.  Kind of makes you wonder about the justice system.  A guy who repeatedly assaults people walks?  WTF?
    Terrible! I have been a bit frightened more than once on the streets of NYC, by people exhibiting extreme anger if I deny giving them money or a cigarette. And I’ve imagined being face punched and it scares the shit out of me.
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:
    Terrible! I have been a bit frightened more than once on the streets of NYC, by people exhibiting extreme anger if I deny giving them money or a cigarette. And I’ve imagined being face punched and it scares the shit out of me.
    I understand your concern, Renfield.  And although assault is probably most common in big cities, it happens other places as well.  Not including being punched in school by bullies (which really should be considered assault), I've been attacked twice as an adult, once about 4 years ago and once almost 2 years ago.  4 years ago happened at a gas station of I-80 in the central valley, Calif. (punched in the back of the head- the kid was doing that knock-out game thing) and 2 years ago in sleeping little Placerville, California about 5  miles from home (crazy man came at me with a truckers tire thumper club.  I was able to avoid being hit by jumping in the car- the car was hot a few times).  As much as those incidents could have been far worse, what never goes away are the numerous replays in my head.  First the mild terror of being attacked, and then the endless and pointless act of trying to figure out what I could have/ should have done differently.  It sucks, big time. 

These people should not be let off so easily.  And that starts with the bullying in school.  My attackers were probably former bullies.  Kids who bully should be dealt with swiftly and firmly.  But not with hate- that will only make them worse.  I don't know what the answer is. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I understand your concern, Renfield.  And although assault is probably most common in big cities, it happens other places as well.  Not including being punched in school by bullies (which really should be considered assault), I've been attacked twice as an adult, once about 4 years ago and once almost 2 years ago.  4 years ago happened at a gas station of I-80 in the central valley, Calif. (punched in the back of the head- the kid was doing that knock-out game thing) and 2 years ago in sleeping little Placerville, California about 5  miles from home (crazy man came at me with a truckers tire thumper club.  I was able to avoid being hit by jumping in the car- the car was hot a few times).  As much as those incidents could have been far worse, what never goes away are the numerous replays in my head.  First the mild terror of being attacked, and then the endless and pointless act of trying to figure out what I could have/ should have done differently.  It sucks, big time. 

These people should not be let off so easily.  And that starts with the bullying in school.  My attackers were probably former bullies.  Kids who bully should be dealt with swiftly and firmly.  But not with hate- that will only make them worse.  I don't know what the answer is. 
    It doesn’t seem like you could have done anything differently... unless you had a bad sense and disregarded your intuition. We just all have to be very aware, whether in a small town or a big city.  
    p.s. Had to look up what a Trucker Tire Thumper Club was (says the big city slicker)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Renfield said:
    brianlux said:

It doesn’t seem like you could have done anything differently... unless you had a bad sense and disregarded your intuition. We just all have to be very aware, whether in a small town or a big city.  
    p.s. Had to look up what a Trucker Tire Thumper Club was (says the big city slicker)
    Now that you mentioned it, I think my intuition probably save me from much more harm at that gas station incident.  I remember for some reason picking up my step slightly as I exited the gas station store... then suddenly felt a very painful glancing blow to the back of my head.  Lucky.

A trucker tire thumper is a club used by semi truckers to test their tires.  A typical one looks like these:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Welcome to criminal justice reform....
  • Options
    Renfield said:
    (LOS ANGELES) — A man who was “full of anger” stabbed, slashed and robbed his way across two Southern California cities in a bloody rampage that killed four people and wounded two others who were apparently targeted at random, authorities said...
    I say we need Knife control...  It’s not the person, but those no good knives fault .  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    edited August 2019
    Renfield said:
    I say we need Knife control...  It’s not the person, but those no good knives fault .  
    I would imagine you do have knife control?

In Sweden you are not allowed to carry a knife in a public space:

The Act on Prohibition of Knives and Other Dangerous Objects, (1988: 254) often abbreviated the Knife Act, is a Swedish law that prohibits the possession of knives and certain other types of objects in public places, in school areas and in vehicles in public places if they can be used. as weapons in the event of crimes against life or health. [1] The law also prohibits the sale or transfer of such items to persons under 21 years of age.

I doubt the US would be less sound with its laws than Sweden?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I would imagine you do have knife control?

In Sweden you are not allowed to carry a knife in a public space:

The Act on Prohibition of Knives and Other Dangerous Objects, (1988: 254) often abbreviated the Knife Act, is a Swedish law that prohibits the possession of knives and certain other types of objects in public places, in school areas and in vehicles in public places if they can be used. as weapons in the event of crimes against life or health. [1] The law also prohibits the sale or transfer of such items to persons under 21 years of age.

I doubt the US would be less sound with its laws than Sweden?

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Knife laws? I don’t think the crazy person who killed all those people and injured more with a knife was concerned what the law says. Laws only work for those willing to follow them. If your willing to stab people to death the last thing on your mind is laws. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Knife laws? I don’t think the crazy person who killed all those people and injured more with a knife was concerned what the law says. Laws only work for those willing to follow them. If your willing to stab people to death the last thing on your mind is laws. 
    So?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It's the easy access to knives that allowed this to happen. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I blame all the chefs of the world. Knife using bastards. 
  • Options
    People in here defacto defending US gun laws. HAHAHAAH. 

Amazing. Never change America.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Those sword swallower bastards from the circus, too. They're promoting knife culture.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Since some of the Republican law makers like to blame video games for gun violence. Let me be the first to blame Game of Thrones for knife violence. Shame on you Game of Thrones. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
  • Options