Options

psst...8/1/19

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Yeah my comment was more about the fact that we all just compete amongst ourselves for these posters.  There is no real draw to these posters for the rest of the poster or art community, it’s just this fan base and the flippers who feed it.  So to me that just means that these things have value to us and really only us.  As we grow older and have expenditures like college tuitions and more health care and family vacations, these will sit and gather dust and will likely be extremely hard to sell for what we think they’re worth since PJ I don’t think will keep gaining new fans at the same clip as The Rolling Stones or the Dead,  I guess what I’m blathering about is that new shit has come to light and she kidnapped herself.  I think I’ll have to get out of the game while things can still sell so I don’t get stuck with a lot of useless garage sale junk!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think that topic is interesting and I waiver back and forth on it.  

At the heart of it, is the fact that they are nice and cool art.  I have various prints framed and hung throughout my house and they always get very positive comments and strike conversation.  Seeing my posters has turned a few friends, onto the scene (not necessarily PJ centric music fans).

There is demand now, but yes, Pearl Jam will end someday, fans will lose interest and die off over time.  What happens? 

At the same time, I don't think high-demand, and even medium-demand prints will ever be readily available, and there will always be collectors of anything.   I know a guy who decided to collect those rubber M.U.S.C.L.E. figures one day and he was involved in completing a collection and whenever rare things would pop up on ebay, he would be involved in a bidding war with other odd collectors.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2019
    I dont worry about it.  Its a steady climb now in value and eventually that will level off or fall but so what?  I like them on my wall lol.  When I'm 80 i wont be all of a sudden getting into Frank Sinatra or Mozart.  I’ll still probably like alternative rock lol. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    Yeah my comment was more about the fact that we all just compete amongst ourselves for these posters.  There is no real draw to these posters for the rest of the poster or art community, it’s just this fan base and the flippers who feed it.  So to me that just means that these things have value to us and really only us.  As we grow older and have expenditures like college tuitions and more health care and family vacations, these will sit and gather dust and will likely be extremely hard to sell for what we think they’re worth since PJ I don’t think will keep gaining new fans at the same clip as The Rolling Stones or the Dead,  I guess what I’m blathering about is that new shit has come to light and she kidnapped herself.  I think I’ll have to get out of the game while things can still sell so I don’t get stuck with a lot of useless garage sale junk!
    Pearl Jam single-handedly leads the current bandart poster gig world.......nobody else is even close.  And there is no reason to think that will change as time goes on.  Age, rarity, and desirability  only fuels value (real or perceived).

Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Pearl Jam single-handedly leads the current bandart poster gig world.......nobody else is even close.  And there is no reason to think that will change as time goes on.  Age, rarity, and desirability  only fuels value (real or perceived).

Phish seems to rival it. 

Art absolutely has to do with it still. Even when it says PJ or EV. That is why we see certain prints still sitting in the shop. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Phish is gettin there.  

What happens when there is no more Pearl Jam, no fan club, and no forum?  There will certainly still be fans of the band and music.  But the engagement level will be a small fraction of what it is now?

Im not saying I think it will go either way, but I find it interesting to think about.
  • Options

Phish collectors disagree.  Checkout prices on the Bakers Dozen prints from Madison Square Garden 2017.  You can't get a Jim Pollock for under $1200.  Phish is different because all of their prints are numbered, no mystery about the edition size.

Then checkout prices of the 90s Phish Pollocks and Ward Sutton Halloween 1998.

There are even art prints related to Phish, that don't say the band's name or anything, that go for thousands of dollars.  See David Welker's Lengthwise, or Mound, or Maze.

Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246

Phish collectors disagree.  Checkout prices on the Bakers Dozen prints from Madison Square Garden 2017.  You can't get a Jim Pollock for under $1200.  Phish is different because all of their prints are numbered, no mystery about the edition size.

There are even art prints related to Phish, that don't say the band's name or anything, that go for thousands of dollars.  See David Welker's Lengthwise, or Mound, or Maze.

I get that, Phish is probably a close 2nd.

PJ has their stratosphere prints, too....Kong, Moline, Pitt, 98s, EMEK Santa Barbara, etc.  There are commissions for PJ-inspired art prints as well.
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options

PJ has their stratosphere prints, too....Kong, Moline, Pitt, 98s, EMEK Santa Barbara, etc.  There are commissions for PJ-inspired art prints as well.
    Yeah.  I was mainly talking about value.  A lot of Phish fans wish the band would mix up the artists a bit more.  Since Phish doesn't allow artists to make variants, it apparently limits who will work with them.  I'd love to see Emek do an official print, or Sperry, or Munk One.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    pjg67 said:

To be fair, Santos didn't say "that's all for today."
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015

Pollock is on another level.  Phish fans just love whatever he puts out no matter how good or bad it may be.

Welker is another artist Phish fans go ga ga over.  Just another level of crazy collector status.  Take them all in as a whole and PJ has them beat though.
  • Options

Pollock is on another level.  Phish fans just love whatever he puts out no matter how good or bad it may be.

Welker is another artist Phish fans go ga ga over.  Just another level of crazy collector status.  Take them all in as a whole and PJ has them beat though.
    A lot of Phish fans don't like pollock.  It seems his history with the band is as much as a draw as the art for some, but art is subjective of course.  It's kind of likes Ames and PJ, except Pollock does a lot less Phish prints than Ames does PJ.

I really liked the Welker Pearl Jam.

I'm not sure which band's artists or prints I like better overall.  I really like both.  They are my two favorite bands.   As a collector, I wish the Pearl Jam prints were all numbered, like Phish.  
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I love this Phish Print by Brad Klausen.  $$$$$ FIRE.

There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The Primus and Lennon Delirium Prints over the past few years have been phenomenal.

Here is one from a show I went to last weekend.  I was the first person at the merch stand (had VIP passes) and mine was autographed by Sean Lennon and Claypool

• Options
    very cool claypool/lennon print score. nice!!!
  • Options
    PJ has definitely been a trendsetter in marketing their merchandise, thanks to @mrtsurt However, argue that point to a DMB fan and you'll meet some heated resistance.

• Options
    Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    I like different types of posters for different bands. Pixies posters are usually very surealistic, Metallica lots of beautiful skull work, 311 holographic aliens...and so on. I like when they reflect the band and their sound/image.
  • Options
    Redrumh2o said:
    I like different types of posters for different bands. Pixies posters are usually very surealistic, Metallica lots of beautiful skull work, 311 holographic aliens...and so on. I like when they reflect the band and their sound/image.
    Yes.  Primus' last Album, the Desaturating Seven, was about color stealing goblins.  Some great posters were made for that tour.
    Many of the posters featured the source material for the album, which was always played in its entirety on tour.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Those primus ones are sick 
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Yeah.  I was mainly talking about value.  A lot of Phish fans wish the band would mix up the artists a bit more.  Since Phish doesn't allow artists to make variants, it apparently limits who will work with them.  I'd love to see Emek do an official print, or Sperry, or Munk One.

The recent Phish summer tour had some different artists involved. I went to the Toronto show and Rhys Cooper was the artist for that one. 
    That was his first Phish poster. 

• Options
    Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    Rhys always kills it!!
  • Options

The recent Phish summer tour had some different artists involved. I went to the Toronto show and Rhys Cooper was the artist for that one. 
    That was his first Phish poster. 

I like that frame up!
    Phish prints were pretty good this summer.  I'll reserve final judgement until after Dicks in 4 weeks.

I did St. Louis (Klausen) and Alpine Valley (Ken Taylor).
    I think I have the opportunity to meet Ken in the fall and am going to have him sign a few Phish and PJ prints if he's not too busy.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    An interesting debate, re: Pearl Jam/Vedder, Phish, and DMB poster fandom. One artist's style is not for everyone. An earlier post on this page referenced the notion that 'forum members here wrestle amongst themselves for these prints' - I agree with that. There are some trades made amongst members here quite often that don't involve financial profit, which is great - I am a benefactor of such transactions with honest, nice people...... both of us were happy with the trade and that's all that matters. The fact that Lost Dogs is used by some of our members as a forum to turn their personal profit is slimy to me - regardless of justification, i.e., "I'm selling this for a friend", "I'm only looking for fair market value", "I figured I'd offer the item up here before going to Ebay", "Other real expenses have creeped up"; in any event take your justified inflated resell to EBay, please and thank you.

If you want to make a profit on a piece of artwork, record, or dog collar, etc. bearing anything Pearl Jam on it then take your venture to EBay. The same members that are willing to pay someone hundreds of dollars for a lighter, or a thousand dollars + for a record set or poster will likely find these products when they're listed on EBay.

It doesn't make sense to me that the 10C is steadfast in policing the reselling of concert tickets on these forums for over face value (an act I commend as it's not easy), but yet they permit fans/forum members to make a profit off the band's name daily on merchandise and other frivolous items.

My beverage is finished, good night everyone :)
  • Options
    Already received my Düsseldorf print this afternoon (thanks 10c) and it really is a beauty. 

Anyone want to buy it? (Just kidding  ;) )
  • Options
    Already received my Düsseldorf print this afternoon (thanks 10c) and it really is a beauty. 

Anyone want to buy it? (Just kidding  ;) )
    That is really fast!  I have Lisbon out for delivery and am excited.  It's raining though, so I'll be keeping an eye out the window in a few hours.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020