Options

Please bring back the great album closer

PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
Imo the last two album closers have been just ok. I enjoy The End but it does not live up to the previous 8 closers (Immortality counts for me) and Future Days is not my style at all. I think Pendulum would have fit better in this spot. When I started to listen to Pearl Jam songs like Release and Indifference are what grabbed my attention and made me want to dive deeper into this bands library besides the obvious hits. When ever a new album came out in the past I was always most hyped about the closer.  I am hoping for something special from number 11. 

Anyone else out there love the closers as much as I do?  Look at this list. Some of the best music they have ever made.

Release
Indifference 
Immortality 
Around the Bend
All Those Yesterdays 
Parting Ways 
All Or None
Inside Job 

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I think The End and Future Days were good closers.  

• Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    How about we just bring back the album.
  • Options
    I think The End and Future Days were good closers.  

I know there are people out there that like/love these songs but they were a step back compared to the fantastic closers of the past imo. I heard The End in Prague last year and loved it just feel like it is not on the same calibre as the previous 8. 
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Ha!
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    how about a new album closer
    danny d
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,708

• Options
    There are plenty of threads on when the new album is coming or when the new tour is coming. I just thought we could talk music a bit and specifically the closing songs on each album. Not every thread has to turn to album begging. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,932
    After hearing PJ live I dont think release is a good closer. Haha. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    No more fade outs.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,932
    100 Pacer said:
    No more fade outs.
    +1
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I love Immortality but gotta say that the way it ends could have been better. 
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,113
    Inside Job is my absolute favorite. I just don’t get tired of it. Maybe it’s just Mikey writing the lyrics or what, but that song is powerful. I love Come Back right before it so it’s almost like a double closer!
  • Options
    Inside Job is my absolute favorite. I just don’t get tired of it. Maybe it’s just Mikey writing the lyrics or what, but that song is powerful. I love Come Back right before it so it’s almost like a double closer!
    Agree on that. Pretty nice one two, closing out an under rated album. 
  • Options
    TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 401
    I support this thread!  
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    What is this "album" thing you are referring to?
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Not PJ related but the new chris robinson brotherhood album has a killer end song “a smiling epitaph”
    closes out the album very nicely. So I understand where your going with this.
    album sequencing is very important
    i thought pendulum should have started the Lightning Bolt album followed by getaway.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I've only really liked a  couple of their closers- "Around the Bend", "Inside Job", sort of "All or None" (but wow, a depressing song!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 803
    Save for Vitalogy I quite like all of PJ's closers-some are their best work. Avocado in particular where my favourite two songs are the last two-that album is hard to get into for me. I think they're pretty consistent and definitely close albums better than most bands (looking at you Tool with your bloody segues while knowing you can produce the goods like with the gargantuan Third Eye).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    I've only really liked a  couple of their closers- "Around the Bend", "Inside Job", sort of "All or None" (but wow, a depressing song!)
    Ya I love the depressing ones for some reason lol.

You do not like Indifference Immortality or Release or just them as closers? Those 3 are in my top 5 for sure. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,365
    Not PJ related but the new chris robinson brotherhood album has a killer end song “a smiling epitaph”
    i thought pendulum should have started the Lightning Bolt album followed by getaway.
    Thanks for mentioning this. Love CRB, didn't know they had a new album, will check it out!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I do enjoy most of the album closing tunes.  Including Mophandlemama.  I agree the last two haven't been up to par.  I don't like The End at all, Future Days is better but still nothing spectacular.  Toss up between All Those Yesterdays and Parting Ways for my favorite.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I do enjoy most of the album closing tunes.  Including Mophandlemama.  I agree the last two haven't been up to par.  I don't like The End at all, Future Days is better but still nothing spectacular.  Toss up between All Those Yesterdays and Parting Ways for my favorite.
    All Those Yesterdays is so underrated. Fenway 2016 was a nice surprise. I would love to hear all of the closers at some point especially since the only ones I am missing are Parting Ways and Around the Bend and are fantastic songs. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited July 2019
    I don’t think Inside Job is in the same
    class as the others and there are a few there they stand well above the others as albums closers imo.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Inside Job is a brilliant emotional song. Love it
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    RS65573 said:
    Thanks for mentioning this. Love CRB, didn't know they had a new album, will check it out!
    @RS65573 do check it out. Might be their best album yet, but that’s hard to say because I do like them all.
  • Options
    Falling DownFalling Down Posts: 724
    PJNB said:
    Interesting. Any thought/suggestion on how it could've ended? Long drum jam like on some live versions?

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    PJNB said:
    Interesting. Any thought/suggestion on how it could've ended? Long drum jam like on some live versions?
    I think something similar to HTI would have worked better. I do not mind the main chunk of the outro just how it fades off. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,835
    Gratest ending to immortality ever, Fast forward to 1:44:30.  3/5/98 Melbourne, fucking awesome.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWsuK92PuE0
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......